electric water pump vs. alternater belt

-
Oh look its the one line wonder GEO metro .
Another one of your lame one line (or less) comments that we see all over the forum that helps nobody.
Thanks again for your valuable time and insights.

carry on . ...

You should have someone else work on your car because you just don't get it.:eek:ops:

Here's my electric water pump + alternator setup. The alternator bracket is a custom hand built piece.

Here's my electric water pump + alternator setup. The alternator bracket is a custom hand built piece.

those are great pictures! I knew somebody has done this before! I was hoping I wouldn't have to mount it on the other side and have to make custom brackets but honestly I do like doing that part is kind of the fun of it all. and move all the wiring over there, another task but no real big deal. but I think if I had the correct pulley and I'd like to ask you what your spacing is between the harmonic balancer and the center of the v? If its three inches or thereabout I'd like to know the part number of that underdrive you have? and I wouldn't have to relocate anything:cheers:

Just a thought...... If this is race only, do you have an easy way to just charge the battery form another vehicle between runs and get rid of the alternator?

Just a thought...... If this is race only, do you have an easy way to just charge the battery form another vehicle between runs and get rid of the alternator?
that has actually crossed my mind and could probably use the weight over the back tires and run 2 batteries, I think I'm going to save that for next season.

we run 2 batteries in the trunk...and still use an alternator...if you are looking for every last hundred...the extra battery might cost ya,,,, .04 for 40 lbs in the trunk...but gives ya the weight over the rear tires...

and we still use alternators on the cars,,,,bracket racing needs consistency...and fully charged batteries help that

This never ends;
the extra batttery is how many pounds more than the alternator? And costs you how much Hp?
Remind me who it was that pulled his headliner out to save 3 pounds.

that wasn't me that took the headliner out to save three pounds. lol. but my headliner is out because it was garbage when I got the car.

dog-chasing-tail-o.gif
:)

what about a motor plate, and i think mancini has a bracket for an alt off a plate.

Summer just got back to me with dimensions on a march performance dual pulley underdrive and they said two and three quarters from the center of the outside groove which should be enough so I went ahead and ordered. hopefully that will take care of my problems with that. Of course I will post and share the results for future idiots like myself who go out and buy electric water pumps for the drag race cars.

we run 2 batteries in the trunk...and still use an alternator...if you are looking for every last hundred...the extra battery might cost ya,,,, .04 for 40 lbs in the trunk...but gives ya the weight over the rear tires...

and we still use alternators on the cars,,,,bracket racing needs consistency...and fully charged batteries help that
Being a rally guy, drag racing is a different world to me. Just curious on another point...... anyone cut off the alternator (cut the field current) in a drag run to keep the alternator load off the engine for that time, and then turn it back on when the run is done to re-charge? Especially if running an electric pump.... that is just that much more load being run by the engine that could be just sourced from the battery. Or does the higher voltage keep the spark hotter and help?

I run a moroso electric water pump with a passenger side exit alternator in the stock location using march serpentine pulleys with no clearance issues

Being a rally guy, drag racing is a different world to me. Just curious on another point...... anyone cut off the alternator (cut the field current) in a drag run to keep the alternator load off the engine for that time, and then turn it back on when the run is done to re-charge? Especially if running an electric pump.... that is just that much more load being run by the engine that could be just sourced from the battery. Or does the higher voltage keep the spark hotter and help?

we run an underdriven pulley on the crank...30%....alternator is charging went ever the engine is running including going down the track...gone rid of the proform water pump...and went back to the simple way of doing things...have no problem keeping the engine cool...and I am in Vegas...

the driver controls the switches for the pump and fan...keep your eye on the temp gauge...and dont sit in staging lanes idling...

the electric fan is not install went i took these a couple of days ago...waiting for some new fan mounts from summit...

Attachments

• IMG_1474.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1473.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1475.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 230
^^^ Are you able to get those little worm drive motors at a different place and cheaper than buying a moroso replacement? I went to the ProForm kind of the same way you went back to the little motor drive. it only lasted less than a year and someone told me it wasn't running as I was getting into the staging lane. I felt it was undependable and that was the last straw for that motor. lol maybe a different replacement one would work better in the future if I get tired of the ProForm?

Depending how creative you want to get, you could always do something like I did...it's hard to see the Alternator but it's down there. And yes, it's a Meziere Remote Pump.

Attachments

• 0111.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 01112.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 0010.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 201
those are great pictures! I knew somebody has done this before! I was hoping I wouldn't have to mount it on the other side and have to make custom brackets but honestly I do like doing that part is kind of the fun of it all. and move all the wiring over there, another task but no real big deal. but I think if I had the correct pulley and I'd like to ask you what your spacing is between the harmonic balancer and the center of the v? If its three inches or thereabout I'd like to know the part number of that underdrive you have? and I wouldn't have to relocate anything:cheers:

Let me get back to you on those measurements. It's a 3 groove pulley from March I believe (only uses the very forward groove). The one I had got messed up and the builder replaced it. I'll see if I can find it in the receipts.

Depending how creative you want to get, you could always do something like I did...it's hard to see the Alternator but it's down there. And yes, it's a Meziere Remote Pump.

Now THAT is VERY NICE!

Now that is creative ! A work of art !

The motorplates I make come with a built in alternator mount. Should be a simple bolt on operation.

Attachments

• AR370a (Medium).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 164
That's a real nice piece , Andy.

-
Back