Electrical solderless or soldered connectors

-
Cool, this thread is still going! Yeah moisture got into that connection turning it green. Here's Scotty showing us how to do it right. Rev up your engines! lol.

That's how I do it when I do solder, but I end with electrical tape over the shrink sleeve.

Good Gawd, if he was going to do a video on it, he could have done a better job.
I like coffee too, but dial it back when you're going to be working with tools with pointy 700 degree tips

Last edited:
So if a soldered joint creates a stiff spot next to a flexible spot, wouldn't a crimped connector create the same issue? And I have to believe vibration in the middle of a wire that is shrink wrapped is not going to flex to failure.

I've done nothing but soldered wire repairs and have zero failures. I crimp new connectors as they came from the factory.

Here's what I do. Make a tight mechanical connection by wrapping the joint, then soldering.

20201222_131642.jpg

20201222_131700.jpg

You are quite correct. Whether soldered or crimped, the joint needs to be supported if it is going to be subjected to vibration/movement.

wouldn't a crimped connector create the same issue?
yes
Most of the terminals on the car had a second crimp that holds the insulation. This provides support so wire movement is not concentrated at the end of the flexible portion of the wire.
factoryterminal01-gif-gif.gif

And I have to believe vibration in the middle of a wire that is shrink wrapped is not going to flex to failure.
That depends on how its supported and the type of heat shrink.

-
Back