Engine install on assembly line

-

rwh1966

Reaction score
I have a 66 formula s with a A273 hippo in t , could the engine have been a left over that got put in my 66

I don't know what all the VIN decode as well as fendertag/ certicard would tell you in 66 but I would start with that.

My car vin’s out to be a 66 bender tag numbers out to 273 hippo the motor block number is a273. 4-23

I have a 66 formula s with a A273 hippo in t , could the engine have been a left over that got put in my 66
Welcome to FABO. What exactly is your question?

Could or should the A273 be in my 66 formula s ? The A273 is a 65 number if I’m not mistaken

If that is the number stamped in the block it would have likely been in a 65 originally. Likely swapped in at a later date.

Short of other information like the build date on the engine and the scheduled build date on the car it is hard to say much more.

Alan

I think the question was “could this supposed date code 1965 engine be a leftover used by factory 66 or potentially swapped later?”

Professor Fate trying to get info on if the A273 4-27 could have been put in my (c2300107 fender rage) 66 car

Can anyone subject a good radio swap I’d like am / fm

when I have leftovers, my dogs are very happy, lol.
I know; relevance?
Kindof like your post.
Left-over?
relevance?
How do you even know it's the original engine?
I mean, up here, 273s continued to 69 as I recall. (not hi-po's tho)
How do you know it's really a hi-po?
Have you seen the pistons?
Done the measurements?
I mean it's been nearly 60 years since the car left the factory, what are the chances?
you see what I mean?
Like Mike asked

Welcome to FABO. What exactly is your question?

Professor Fate trying to get info on if the A273 4-27 could have been put in my (c2300107 fender rage) 66 car
I wouldn't worry about the "A" 273. 273's came out in 64 so you would think the A would be the first release? Is that what you are thinking? What is the casting number? 2465330 is 64-66 and 2536130 is 65 only. 2806130 is 67-69 "4-27" is just a month and day. Nothing to do with year.

Cuda AI your probly right I hate it but I’m building a driver not a show stopper. It’s still a 273 Hopi , right

Look for a machined pad on the deck surface just below the cylinder head on the driver side. THere should be a number stamped there.

It’s a 2465330 I’ve looked inside it has dome pictons , the intake has the early bolt pattern

It’s a 2465330 I’ve looked inside it has dome pictons , the intake has the early bolt pattern
So it's a 65. Or the heads are anyway. Was it a left over from 65 into your 66? Anything is possible but probably not. What's the build date on your car. It would have to be a early August build to receive a leftover 65 engine.

A273 4-27 65 273 with a April 27 assembly date. 3 months until the switchover to 66's. It is possible but not too likely. My guess is that something happened in the first 5 years under warranty or in the next 54 years and the engine got swapped out. Without VIN's on the block there is no way to tell.

Yeah your right , I’m going with is a 273 Hopi for sure . Anybody’s guess on likely swap on motor. I still feel ok on my $7500 buy on an almost no rust and a good complete car less exhaust and radio 4speed car. One of these was my first car in 1972 at the age of 15 and my wife found this one and had it here from cali to ky for my birthday just a few weeks ago!!!!

-
Back