Engine machining cost

-

kevindahle

Reaction score
Been 20 years since I have personally had any machining done to overhaul an engine. I have a 340 that I would like to have done and I was wondering what people a paying to have it done.

Around here lots !!!! But my engine builder is worth the money and knows what he is doing! You get what you pay for in the industry! Go to a shop that understands performance building if that's what your building!

Yup you pay for good work! To align bore, deck, install cam bearings, turn and polish the crank, installing rods on new pistons, bearings, and whatever odds and ends it was about 2200 when It was all said and done.

But mind you they know what they are doing, my family has been going to them for years, we even occasionally borrow tools from them!

You pay for quality work, you don't want to pay twice because something wasn't done right in the first place.

You'll knock out 2K real quick.

Bore and hone on ck10 with plates.350.install cam brgs with lisle or Mac driver 50.alighn hone and check 200 if cap are ground then rehoned more cash usually another 50-100.deck 200.recon rods bush small end and float for .990 pins.all on sunken equipment.40-50 a rod. Work performed by Galen darns performance shop in newark Ohio.he worked with me Dave elk and Greg hideg all who are now Larry Morgans engine builders here in Newark Ohio.Galen runs the old elks head service machine shop now.bought out old man tom elk,super stock record holder in several classes for many years until he just gave it all up and retired to the golf courses

I had my block dipped and bored and new cam bearings and plugs put in. I had my crank turned and polished and pistons and rods assembled but not installed. Final cost was around 900. I had used the shop a few times before though so I may have gotten a good deal.

780 dollars...baked...bored .030 ...honed...deck square....cam bearing installed along with cost of cam bearings....small end of rod honed....crank turned.. ...balanced...

^^^^^^ About 850.00 for same here in California. I add line hone on the cam tunnel cost extra $100.00 or so
New crank and Mallory metal you better be sitting down. That stuff is expensive depending on how many sticks you need.

General Cost

Going by my Father's Machine Shop 'Valley Machine Shop' in New York.

Rebuild Part I

* Disassemble Block and Inspect
* Boil Block {or Jet Clean}
* Clean Oil Gallery Channels
* Flash Hone Lifter Bores
* Grind and Debur flashings
* Chase Main Cap and Cylinder Head Bolt Threads

* Bore .030 over {includes Block Plate}
* Bore Cylinders {.025"}
* Finish Hone {.005"}
* Deck Block {if desired}
* Align Hone {if reguired}