Engine paint for early A

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Just wondering if I should repaint my engine to the original 1966 Chrysler Red. It's currently Orange with silver painted intake manifold and tti's. The valve covers are the finned chrome ones from MP. Look okay but maybe a more original color scheme would be better?

I like the look of 66340Sedan's engine with the original commando covers but those seem like the are very hard to come by.

Any opinions?

Nope, not a purest but my personal preference is stock looking cars.

This is one of those "personal preference" situations…… He has an orange engine but he likes the look of red better…… Easy solution, paint the engine red. lol

First let me start off by saying this is just MY opinion and I am not flaming anyone.

Over time, I have been surprised at how many people on these forums ask "What color should I paint my engine/car?". "What wheels should I use?". To me, your car is an expression of yourself. It should be whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy. If a purple engine with a lime green intake and orange accessories makes your boat float. Do it! Won't do much for me but you will be happy. I only have to see it at a cruise-in or something. You have to live with it.

Do what makes you feel good and be proud of it 'cause it's yours!

Okay. Getting down off my soap box here.

its your car, do what you want it, it reflects your personality, thats why i keep my truck clean all the time, cause it shows my personality

I think it's a good idea to ask peoples opinion, they might have a valuable experience to share or stop you from doing something weird.

I don't think you care if it looks period correct or not but you might want to think about the contrast of the colors in the engine bay. Since your car is a very dark blue you might want something that shows the engine like red with aluminum valve covers or the Commando valve covers with red crinkle paint.

Check right here on FABO for some Commando covers => http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=97395&highlight=273+commando

I just look all over the internet for pictures and download them so I can flip through them all at once getting Ideas. That is one great benifit of the internet. Good Luck!!

red

p1010002.JPG

.....If a purple engine with a lime green intake and orange accessories makes your boat float. Do it! ...
Dude, I saw a Dubbed Camaro that was....heavy metallic green with orange bumpers, hood scoop, spoilers, wing and sill moldings! And of course orange painted 24" wagon wheels. I didnt get my camera out fast enough, but it was THEE worst color scheme I have ever seen on a car by far.

I like the look of 66340Sedan's engine with the original commando covers but those seem like the are very hard to come by.

I like the red color too, I have always likes the engine color to match the year of the car.

Picture 282.jpg

I'm frustrated, which Chrysler red? toolman

Another vote for the Mopar red. Back in the early seventies I tried to find genuine Chrysler red engine paint in spray cans so I could repaint the valve covers on my car as they were peeling. I went to the parts house and bought a can that was supposed to be correct. I painted my valve covers and they didn't come close to the rest of the engine. Paint stripper applied and off to another parts house. This time I tested a sample. Still too light. After I had purchased and tried every version of Mopar engine red in town I decided to just spray out a sample of each and see which matched closest. Lo and behold there was one that was almost perfect. When I looked to see which can it was I discovered I had accidently used my Dad's International Harvester Red for his B Farmall! So I mixed up a small batch of his tractor paint for the paint gun and the valve covers matched and looked new in no time.

I'm going with the stock red for the 408, just to make it look kinda correct.

I was at the Dodge dealer yesterday, and they won't/can't get in individual cans of the red spray paint. I'd have to order a box of a dozen.

Anyone what to go in on a box?

Duplicolor "Chrysler Industrial Red" DE1632 I think. "Chrysler Industrial Blue" is DE 1631.
Plasticote calls the blue "Chrysler Blue". Plasticote doesn't have a Chysle red....but they have a Universal Red, thats close. Heat and time darkens the color anyway.....

-
Back