Engine stalls when you pull number 5 spark plug wire.

-

Ferry

Reaction score
Hi,

Maybe someone has an idea and will point me in the right direction. I noticed a lean mixture on my afr. Somewhere in the 14's when i step on it. There is also a lean pop at constant speed. Checked spark plugs and number 5 seems to be the culprit. When I pull off the spark plug wire the engine almost stalls. Huge vacuum leak??

What I have already checked;
*Vave train checked and everything is fine
*Compression test done and everything 190 dry and about 194 wet
*replaced intake gasket
*replaced spark plugs
*ignition parts checked.

Engine;

416 stroker
10.5:1
Hughes solid flat tappet cam
Worked over speedmaster cnc heads with harland sharps
Weiand xcelerator intake
MSD 6al ignition with blaster 2 coil with summit/firecore distributor.

Last edited:
Have you used aerosol carburetor cleaner around the base and throttle shafts to check for a vacuum leak? Have you checked any of the vacuum port caps, if you have some for cracks? Have you changed out the #5 plug wire for a known good plug wire? My suggestions are starting with the basics.

Is there a power brake booster hooked into #5 intake runner?

Have you used aerosol carburetor cleaner around the base and throttle shafts to check for a vacuum leak? Have you checked any of the vacuum port caps, if you have some for cracks? Have you changed out the #5 plug wire for a known good plug wire? My suggestions are starting with the basics.
I did test the wiring with some new good wires in the first place. I forgot to mention it. Still....Why would the engine stalls if i unplug the number 5 wire? I'll try the carb cleaner part this evening:thumbsup:

Is there a power brake booster hooked into #5 intake runner?
Nope, manual brakes.

What did you find wrong with #5 plug?
What carb, jets, P/Valve, D/Pumper?
O2 sensor on each bank?
Have you tried smoke testing for Vac leak?
I always thought when testing by dropping a cylinder spark, the lower the RPM's drop too would mean the stronger the cylinder is.

What did you find wrong with #5 plug?
What carb, jets, P/Valve, D/Pumper?
O2 sensor on each bank?
Have you tried smoke testing for Vac leak?
I always thought when testing by dropping a cylinder spark, the lower the RPM's drop too would mean the stronger the cylinder
spark plug seems to have a lean mixture compared to the rest. Carb is a 750 holley double pumper with a proform mainbody. Powervalve 6.5. 02 sensor on one bank. Changed the collector too the other side and there is no problem there. The air fuel ratio stays more stable on the other side. Also changed the carb for another one....same story.

I can try the idea with smoke. The rpm drop on each cilinder is significant. But when i pull number 5 the engine sounds the same like dieseling.

do you have power brakes and is the booster hose going to #5 intake runner?

I agree. 5 is doing the most work, or it is a coincidence that will lead you down a rabbit hole for awhile.

How do you figure?
To me, it seems to be running on #5 only, lol.

My guess it that the throttle blades are too far closed.
I guess i have to figure out what is wrong with the other seven. Still cant get my head around it.
I always square the primary throttle blades and adjust...if needed....the secondarys.

Yup, #5 is doing all the work. What heat range spark plugs? Check the resistance of the spark plug leads.

Also check INSIDE the dist cap...& rotor....for arcing.

OK well here's where I'd start;
First a few caveats;
1) If your cam is bigger than 292/292/108, I'm not your guy, wait for somebody smarter than me to show up.
2) If your distributor is locked at any particular timing and/or the distributor does Not have a VA system, I cannot help you.
3) If your cam Is smaller than or equal to, that 292, I have tuned a few of of those. and others down to 262s. I'll try to help you.
4) if you have the PCV system plumbed to #5 intake runner, that's bad. Put it where it belongs, entering the carb just under the Primary blades near the discharge ports. I leave it on you, to prove that the PCV is working and that all the other air that the engine is getting, is coming in past the throttles.
5) If you have power brakes, they gotta be plumbed to the port on the BACK of the carb, or to a spacer under the carb, or to the plenum, but NOT, to any single runner; and of course, that line better not be sucking air full-time.

BTW-1
Isn't that Xcellerator a small-port, small-plenum intake? What cam is in that beast?
I tried that Intake on my 367 with a 292 cam; Why?, because I had it. no bueno. I installed the AirGap; mucho bueno.

Ok here we go. As to, What I would do;
I'd take the carb off, drain it, flip it upside down making sure the throttle is on the curb idle screw then LOOK at the Transfer Slot exposure on the underside of the Primary blades. Make a note of how far the slots are showing, for future reference.
A) If they are not at least square with a 4-corner idle then make them so.
B) If you do NOT have a 4-corner idle, then make them noticeably taller than square. then, slam the secondaries shut.
Then set the mixture screws to in the middle of their range.
Finally, bolt the carb back on, fill it thru the bowl-vents, reset your accelerator pumps, and your throttle slack; as may be required.
Start it up and while it's warming up; make sure the fuel level is correct and stable, but
DO NOT TOUCH THE CURB IDLE SCREW.
After it is warmed up, change your idle speed using Ignition timing, to whatever you think is appropriate for your cam/combo. Then diddle the mixture screws for best Idle.
If the engine likes a lil more, or a lil less gas at idle than what the mixture screws can give while set to say 1/2 turn from in the middle of their range, add or subtract a 1/2 turn Curb-idle, and Put the screws back! If the idle-speed changes, reset it with timing. Repeat until yur happy but
a) do not let the slot exposure go to less than square, and/or
b) nor the timing to less than 12*.
The reason is that doing so will usually introduce an incurable off-idle stumble, as the slots progressively shut down.
Now check that cylinder again.
If this works;
You will have to re-engineer all your other timings; like Power-Timing and Stall-Timing and Cruize-Timing and Part-Throttle Timing. But for crying out loud, leave the Curb-Idle screw alone.
If this doesn't work,
maybe you got 7 other lobes going flat. lol.
If you have a 4-corner idle, you may have to introduce air AND/OR fuel, into the Secondaries. If you add both, the idlespeed may/will go up. If the timing is already down to 14 or less, this may be a problem . Most likely you will have to shut the secondaries off and introduce Idle-Air bypass into the Primaries.
I think that small-plenum Weiand does not like dry air coming in thru the Secondaries. For me, two of the back four cylinders went lean.
And, I have never had success tuning a big cam at idle with an AFR gauge. Your results may vary.
Ok I'm all done;
Happy Hotrodding.

Yup, #5 is doing all the work. What heat range spark plugs? Check the resistance of the spark plug leads.
Champion RC12Yc. I checked the resistance numerous times. Also used a new set of MSD wires including new cap. Same results.

Also check INSIDE the dist cap...& rotor....for arcing.
Only thing I saw is that the reluctor gap was too big. The pick up plate in those firecore/summit distributors really sucks. It is kind of loose and ensures that the distance is not the same between the top and bottom of the pick-up, making it difficult to adjust the distance.

OK well here's where I'd start;
First a few caveats;
1) If your cam is bigger than 292/292/108, I'm not your guy, wait for somebody smarter than me to show up.
2) If your distributor is locked at any particular timing and/or the distributor does Not have a VA system, I cannot help you.
3) If your cam Is smaller than or equal to, that 292, I have tuned a few of of those. and others down to 262s. I'll try to help you.
4) if you have the PCV system plumbed to #5 intake runner, that's bad. Put it where it belongs, entering the carb just under the Primary blades near the discharge ports. I leave it on you, to prove that the PCV is working and that all the other air that the engine is getting, is coming in past the throttles.
5) If you have power brakes, they gotta be plumbed to the port on the BACK of the carb, or to a spacer under the carb, or to the plenum, but NOT, to any single runner; and of course, that line better not be sucking air full-time.

BTW-1
Isn't that Xcellerator a small-port, small-plenum intake? What cam is in that beast?
I tried that Intake on my 367 with a 292 cam; Why?, because I had it. no bueno. I installed the AirGap; mucho bueno.

Ok here we go. As to, What I would do;
I'd take the carb off, drain it, flip it upside down making sure the throttle is on the curb idle screw then LOOK at the Transfer Slot exposure on the underside of the Primary blades. Make a note of how far the slots are showing, for future reference.
A) If they are not at least square with a 4-corner idle then make them so.
B) If you do NOT have a 4-corner idle, then make them noticeably taller than square. then, slam the secondaries shut.
Then set the mixture screws to in the middle of their range.
Finally, bolt the carb back on, fill it thru the bowl-vents, reset your accelerator pumps, and your throttle slack; as may be required.
Start it up and while it's warming up; make sure the fuel level is correct and stable, but
DO NOT TOUCH THE CURB IDLE SCREW.
After it is warmed up, change your idle speed using Ignition timing, to whatever you think is appropriate for your cam/combo. Then diddle the mixture screws for best Idle.
If the engine likes a lil more, or a lil less gas at idle than what the mixture screws can give while set to say 1/2 turn from in the middle of their range, add or subtract a 1/2 turn Curb-idle, and Put the screws back! If the idle-speed changes, reset it with timing. Repeat until yur happy but
a) do not let the slot exposure go to less than square, and/or
b) nor the timing to less than 12*.
The reason is that doing so will usually introduce an incurable off-idle stumble, as the slots progressively shut down.
Now check that cylinder again.
If this works;
You will have to re-engineer all your other timings; like Power-Timing and Stall-Timing and Cruize-Timing and Part-Throttle Timing. But for crying out loud, leave the Curb-Idle screw alone.
If this doesn't work,
maybe you got 7 other lobes going flat. lol.
If you have a 4-corner idle, you may have to introduce air AND/OR fuel, into the Secondaries. If you add both, the idlespeed may/will go up. If the timing is already down to 14 or less, this may be a problem . Most likely you will have to shut the secondaries off and introduce Idle-Air bypass into the Primaries.
I think that small-plenum Weiand does not like dry air coming in thru the Secondaries. For me, two of the back four cylinders went lean.
And, I have never had success tuning a big cam at idle with an AFR gauge. Your results may vary.
Ok I'm all done;
Happy Hotrodding.

Hughes solid flat tappet, 246/250 @.050 on 108lsa. Its a small single plane manifold. I tried the air gap before but in my case the xcelerator is way better. I port matched it and had to do some epoxy on some runners because of the core shift on this manifold. It was a pain to match it up with those (in my opinion) stupid big ports on those speedmaster cnc's. Distributor; initial timing 21 and full timing @34. Adjustable vacuum advance is available, but I have to limit it a little further, otherwise I will end up in detonation. So it is not connected at the moment.

No power brakes. PCV is hooked up on the passenger side valve cover, and Breather on the other side. Im now thinking that i hooked up the pcv on the brake vacuum port! And not on the front port. Im using a holley 750 double pumper with a proform chokeless mainbody.

I'll redo my carb settings like you said.

To return to the full CNC Speedmaster heads. The exhaust ports are a lot larger than the doug headers I use. I had to rebuild the exhaust gasket and give the sharp surfaces a little more radius to create a normal path. But it is certainly not optimal. and I don't understand why those exhaust ports have to be so big. Exhaust fumes are now hitting a wall. Could intake reversion also have something to do with it?

Im now thinking that i hooked up the pcv on the brake vacuum port! And not on the front port. Im using a holley 750 double pumper with a proform chokeless mainbody.
I tried running both my booster and the PCV, Tee'd together, to the back port, and like I said, when I did that, the back cylinders idled lean. I supposed that was cuz on my standard 750DP without 4-corner idle, they were dry.
I put the PCV back on the front, and that solved it.
But, that cam, at just 12* timing, in my 367, idled at about 8/9 inches, so getting the idle to be consistent, I had to try several different used PCVs out of my life-long collection-box. I finally divorced the air supply from the factory air box to the breather, so that at WOT/RPM the breather dumped straight to atmosphere. I didn't do this on purpose, It just happened when I brought cold fresh air down thru the hood, and sealed the carb to the underside; there was just no place for the fresh air hose to go.
These two changes, stabilized the idle. By this time, I was already running the AirGap on my Edelbrock alloy heads. Yeah, that cam was my tuning teacher. Spent a lot of hours on it. IIRC I measured it at 249/250@050. Before summer was over, I had pulled that cam. It was just too big for what I wanted it to do.

I'm guessing that your cam is the STL4650, which is a lil bigger advertised, than the 292/292/108 Mopar hydro I ran; so we're in the ballpark.
If you have an automatic, you can get away with 21/34, but IMO at 21*, the transfer slots are gonna be too far closed, and if the two Primary blades are not synchronized to each other in such a manner that they are not passing identical amounts of air, then you will have idle problems. Well that's not true with a single-plane intake, but I'm leaving that comment in for other readers.
Furthermore,
I'm guessing your heads are closed-chamber alloys.
and for you to run that combo efficiently, the Scr needs to be at least 11.5 which means the pistons need to have a Q-pad and the quench is gonna be under 040, and if all that is true; then, detonation should be impossible.
But if you are running iron closed chamber heads, those will top out at about 10.2Scr; any higher may lead to detonation on best pumpgas.

I ran 11.0Scr/closed-chamber alloys/028 Q/ on that 292 cam, and I could not get detonation on 87E10, the only gas that 367 has ever run.

the point is that, if you are getting detonation with the Vcan working, then something is wrong. and I'm pointing straight to the @21* of Idle-Timing, which at your elevation of like 3ft above sealevel, is just too much for your air density, but more than anything; that 21* points to Not enough Transfer slot exposure..
My guess is that when you get your idle fixed, that will also cure your detonation with a working VA.
To give you an idea about timing;
my timing was 12/14 at idle going to 28* by 2800, going to 34@ 3400. and the Vcan was modified for 22*, to come on as fast as the thing could go . Thus, by about 1800 the Total cruize-timing was say; 14 Idle plus 7 centrifugal, plus 22 from the can, equals 43. By 2800 This was increased to 14 +14 +22= 50. As the throttle rolled in, the Vcan rolled out. Smooth as can be, and no detonation.
But
the thing is I have a 4-speed, so idle speed very significantly affects the slowest speed I can drive before I gotta slip the clutch; and that means my T-slots gotta be bang-on, which means the idle-timing has got to take the hit. In contrast, the automatic guys got it easy.
Btw, this combo almost always ran 3.55s cuz that is all I wanted to run; I had other gears. at that time I was running 25.6" tires, and if I retarded the timing to 5*, she would idle nicely down to 550rpm, pulling herself at 4.4 mph; not slow enough to parade with, without riding my 800 dollar clutch.
So I got me a 3.09 overdrive, and that allowed 3.8 mph, still not quite low enough. and the 292 cam hated that super wide ratiobox, and
65= 2160 was not fuel-efficient. I figured out that 4.30s would be 65=2620 and hiway economy was no lower, but now she would idle along at 550rpm=3.1 mph, so that was good. But the splits were just too much; that cam had to go.

BTW,
Without a 4-corner idle
when you reset your Idle-timing to say 14*, to enable the T-slots to function properly. Your gonna find that the exhaust begins to burn your eyes. Your gonna find, as I did, that this begins to go away, if you introduce some Idle-Air bypass.
Your Holley is not set up with an adjustable bypass, so you are gonna have to experiment .
What I did was to Tee into the PCV line and and install a short closed standpipe on the Tee, then drill the pipe with two holes beginning at 1/16 inch, and progressively increasing the holes to a max of 7/32, at which point , the stink went away. Then, I drilled my primary throttle plates, one 7/32 hole in each, up between the T-slots and the Idle-ports, and finally, put the PCV line back to stock.
Now, my engine liked 7/32. I have no idea what yours will like.
If you choose this method, and if you drill too big, the engine will run rougher. and you will need to increase fueling from the mixture screws, this will then increase the idle speed, same as if you had adjusted the Curb-idle screw. So then the logical response is to close the throttle, which of course upsets the T-slot exposure, and leads straight back to the tip-in sag, so don't touch the speed screw! Instead, you retard the Idle-Timing. But when you get down to 12 or 10, the throttle response gets mushy, and the engine is losing idle-power, fast. and
There you stand, tearing your hair out, so what's the answer?
Well, the holes are too big so take the carb off, solder the holes shut, move over, and start again with smaller holes. Then reset the carb and timing, back to basic.
My engine has had three cams, and even the smallest; 270/276/110, liked a bit of bypass.

There are at least three other ways to get bypass air from your Holley
1) you can crack the Secondaries
2) you can install adjustable air-bleeds on the tops of the wells
3) you can run a dedicated suction line to the PCV circuit, or
4) a second PCV, if your engine is big enough
I tried all but the Air-bleeds, and nothing worked as good as bypass holes in the throttles. But, I went too big the first time! that's learning. and each smaller cam, required less bypass, so my throttle plates are looking a lil funky nowadays, cuz you cannot redrill the solder slugs cuz then they fall out. Well you can if you drill a half size smaller exactly in the center of the original hole; good luck with that. But even then, I lost one.
Remember, you only need enough bypass air to kill the stinky exhaust.
btw, IDK how or why that works, to me it's magic.
Ok breakfast time!

Last edited:
-
Back