engine stands, not just for engines

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Ok, I know I am not the first one to think of this, but what other things other than an engine have you used an engine stand for. I was cleaning my power steering box, wondering how I will paint it. Too heavy to hang from a wire. looked at the engine stand that I just removed my 273 from and if I flipped the one arm it would hold the power steering pump with 2 bolts. Worked good.
DSC01416_zps577e7b5b.jpg

What have you used an engine stand for?

Although not an engine stand, I use my engine hoist to hold my ol outboard... with the do-hicky adapter I fabbed up with the left over 2x3 square tubing and painted with left over free blue paint lol

Attachments

• Photo0993.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 602
That's an OLD Johnson!!! A '55? Dad used to maintain them, the NAPA store he worked for from the '50's into early 70's had the Johnson franchise. I've still got his old outboard, older than yours, a 4.2??HP 1938 like this one: (not mine, but like it)

johnsonlt38.jpg

ive used mine for setting up gear sets in third members, and hung my 727 from mine to tear it down.

That's an OLD Johnson!!! A '55? Dad used to maintain them, the NAPA store he worked for from the '50's into early 70's had the Johnson franchise. I've still got his old outboard, older than yours, a 4.2??HP 1938 like this one: (not mine, but like it)

johnsonlt38.jpg

Wow, I had one of those when I was a kid, never could get it to run right so we gave it a decent burial at sea.

Now 67Dart273, that is a beautiful machine right there!

The Johnson Seahorse is a 1954 (QD15) 10hp and was my grandfathers.

johnsonlt38.jpg

here is a little interesting info for you 67Dart273;
The original list price for that beautiful outboard if a 4.2hp, in 1938 either $109.50 or $129.50!

Attachments

• Johnson price list.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 421
Now 67Dart273, that is a beautiful machine right there!

The Johnson Seahorse is a 1954 (QD15) 10hp and was my grandfathers.

Thanks. Dad's still runs, or would, but it has a bad seal in the lower unit, and may need a new shaft. "If I live long enough" I hope to fix it some day.

"Us kids" used to put it to good use. In the mid 60's my Grandfather re-married (he was widowed) and my step-Grandmother had a lake place on Lake Cocollala. She had a little aluminum boat, and we'd put that little Johnson on it and go have fun. When it was warmed up, you didn't even need a starter rope. You could start it by putting the palms of your hands on each side of the flywheel, and "flipping" your hands to kick the flywheel. I LOVE the sound of those, and can still "hear" it today.

That engine has no neutral. You either ran it or stopped it. Reverse was simply rotating the engine in it's mount--it would rotate 360*

I'm sure that one reason it's in such nice shape today is that Dan kept it maintained in his years as a mechanic.

Another story my Dad loved to relate, and unfortunately I cannot remember the details exactly. My Dad's boss had a nice boat, this would have been somewhere in the '50's and of course in a small town had a friendly rivalry with the Mercury dealer. One of them came out with a "tricky" set of factory twin motors, something like "twin 20's" or like that. The Merc dealer was trying to show off my Dad's boss, with his "new Merc" and as he came roaring up to the boathouse, he was going to reverse the engine to slow down.

Now Merc's back then had TWO starters, and to reverse the engine, you had to actually shut it down, and restart it ---IN REVERSE!!--. Well the damn thing would not start, and he damn near put his cruiser (all wood) right through the back of the boathouse.

Evidently it didn't do REAL serious damage, but there was some repair needed to the boat.

All of the guilty, as well as the innocent parties are now long gone. Even my Dad, who only lived to 71, was gone in 95.

-
Back