Engine tick help please (video)

-
You know, I thought about that, but thought the cam lobe would spit the lifter out of the bore when the engine started. Nothing to hold it down. Have you done this before?

I have, but I removed the lifter each time for insurance. It's a little tough, but you can get them out. I don't really think the engine would throw the lifter up that far.....at idle anyway, but still, I would hate to have it do it while running. I think they'll fit down those holes in the lifter valley. That would suck. If it's a pretty fresh build, they should come out easy.

Oh...and it's gonna be a tough mutha to hear if it's an exhaust rocker doin it. Cause with the exhaust valve shut, that cylinder will still fire but exhaust up through the carburetor so you're gonna get a pop through the carburetor each time that cylinder fires. Might wanna leave the air cleaner on to muffle that so you can hear the valve train.

I have, but I removed the lifter each time for insurance. It's a little tough, but you can get them out. I don't really think the engine would throw the lifter up that far.....at idle anyway, but still, I would hate to have it do it while running. I think they'll fit down those holes in the lifter valley. That would suck. If it's a pretty fresh build, they should come out easy.

It's been together for 3 years, but not run much, so I suspect that they would come out easy. How did you get the out, and back in? Pull the intake?

I had a noise in my motor I fought for 2 years (when I could work on it). Finally had to pull the motor and tear it down to find it.

Hate to suggest it, but my "mystery noise" was due to my mistake when I installed the new timing chain. I used the mark over the key showing "0", not the mark I was supposed to use, and I had my cam off about 45 degrees. The intake valves were contacting the pistons and collapsing the lifters.

The way your rockers are bouncing around, I'm wondering if you don't have a similar problem.

Man, how'd that thing run at all, with the cam 45* off? I've heard of advancing 2*, 4*,..but not 45*!! Eeooww!

It's been together for 3 years, but not run much, so I suspect that they would come out easy. How did you get the out, and back in? Pull the intake?

Naw....I fannagled up through the openings between the intake runners with a long pair of needle nosed pliers.

Be very careful running the engine missing one lifter. Since the lifter oil galley will be uncovered you're going to loose a ton of oil pressure and yes the lifters can be fanagled up between the head intake runners. I use one of those flexible claws with the spring loaded teeth, one on the side of the lifter the other grabbing the lifter cir clip.

I had a 440 spit a lifter because of a BS broken rocker adjuster (cranes go figure) bent the rod to and my oil pressure dropped like a stone. I shut the engine off before it hit rock bottom.

Which BB you running anyway and don't forget to check the valve springs for broke.

I had the exact problem you have 2 years ago and pulled the valve train a dozen times.....header gasket.:wack:

Man, how'd that thing run at all, with the cam 45* off? I've heard of advancing 2*, 4*,..but not 45*!! Eeooww!

It ran like a dog, that's how. Truth be told, I don't know why it even fired, but it did.

UOP, I hope you find your problem, and I hope it isn't anything like mine.

Valve and rocker action looks really funny to me, though.

Be very careful running the engine missing one lifter. Since the lifter oil galley will be uncovered you're going to loose a ton of oil pressure and yes the lifters can be fanagled up between the head intake runners. I use one of those flexible claws with the spring loaded teeth, one on the side of the lifter the other grabbing the lifter cir clip.

I had a 440 spit a lifter because of a BS broken rocker adjuster (cranes go figure) bent the rod to and my oil pressure dropped like a stone. I shut the engine off before it hit rock bottom.

Which BB you running anyway and don't forget to check the valve springs for broke.

I think we'll try painting or marking the pushrods somehow before trying to run the motor without the pushrod. If it comes down to it we will, but will hold that trick for later.

One thing we haven't checked is for a broken spring. Will add that to the list. One question though, would that noise be heard if I listened to the rocker with a stethescope while running?

It's a 383.

Valve and rocker action looks really funny to me, though.

It's the video playing tricks with your eyes. The rocker action is smooth in person and in the original HD video I took. I guess the way photobucket compresses the video did that.

-
Back