Engine torque straps

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
What are you all using for an engine torque strap in a big block duster? I was considering the Mancini racing one, then thought its just a strap, i could have one made out of a steel cable.

The Schumacher one is nice, if you just wanna throw some money around, but we always just used a length of chain. Sometimes with a turnbuckle if we wanted to get fancy.

I am just running a set of Mity Mounts on my 493" RB in a 1970 E-Body with a 5-speed. The car has a Shaker hood, and the mounts allow the engine to shake at idle and lock solidly on wide open throttle. Due to there rubber construction, they also cancel out a lot of the vibration that the stiffer Schumacher mounts pass through to the chassis. They bolt right in like stock mounts too.

I have schumaker conversion mounts as well. I am not opposed to solid motor mounts, i have used them before. I also have a templates for a motor plate but decided against that.

The Schumacher one is well worth the money spent and it looks nice too:D:D

The Schumacher one is well worth the money spent and it looks nice too:D:D

Yeah i see that, And since i had to do the notching in the K member for the oil pump its a little thin in the mount bolt hole area, so i want something there.

I dont want to be making holes in the frame, so bolting it to the K member is a nice idea.

What kind of car? If you have the early biscuit style mounts, you can drill and run a bolt through the DS mount. Thats what I did. You can't even see it. You can even leave it a little loose with a nylock or locktite so it doesn't 'feel' like a solid mount.

Not a big block but you get the idea....

vbpgimage.php

As stated the Schumacher one is a nice piece. I picked one up but I didnt like the way it sat in my K frame (not enough meat to bolt it to). I ended up designing my own for a fraction of the price.

I have a 71 duster so i think i will wait till the motor is in the car and build my own as well.

on spool mounted engines
I like to weld a nut on the back side of the mount
then add a short metal tab to the K frame
I do both sides

025_zps8qrvfm8s.jpg

061_zps94ostzs8.jpg

Yeah i see that, And since i had to do the notching in the K member for the oil pump its a little thin in the mount bolt hole area, so i want something there.
Does your oil pump bolt hit the k frame. Mine is so close.

-
Back