Engine vin help

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what my 69 340 orig came in. The #'s I found on the pass side near the front are 9B891260

thanks
4spdragtop

Look close is it a 9b3 and not 9b8

Don't think they built 700000 cars on the one line

It's likely from a Dart or Barracuda, more likely a Dart is my guess.

Look close is it a 9b3 and not 9b8

Don't think they built 700000 cars on the one line

It's likely from a Dart or Barracuda, more likely a Dart is my guess.

I will dbl check tomorrow, but it looked pretty clear it was 9B891260. Whats the diff between 9B8 and 9B3?

The first digit is the assembly year 9= 1969,
B is the assembly plant, in your case Hamtranck
The last 6 digits are the sequence number.

I don't know that there is a way to tell what body type the engine came out of.

IMO, the only way to find out what car this engne actually came from would be if the number was registered on somebody's database. Somebody like Galen or the Dart or Barracuda registry. You can narrow down the possibilities by simply eliminating the models that the 340 wasn't available in during the 69 model year. Cross off Roadrunners, Satellites, Chargers etc. and you'll find that the A bodies are pretty much the only choices left. You gotta remember that in 69 the sequential build numbers from each plant were for the total number of cars built there, not just one body style. Therefore, this car COULD have been the 700,*** car built at Hamtramck as that includes taxi's, fleet service cars, etc. Hamtramck and Lynch road were the biggest plants in Moparland back then, so 700,000 cars was not that much of a stretch. Late in the model year to be sure though!!! Were Dodges built at Hamtramck??? I thought Dodge was Lynch Rd. and Plymouth was Hamtramck!!! I could be wrong on this though. If you find that needle in the haystack, look for the map to the pot of gold too, as that is just about your chance of locating info on the car this motor came from!!! Good luck, Geof

Were Dodges built at Hamtramck??? I thought Dodge was Lynch Rd. and Plymouth was Hamtramck!!! I could be wrong on this though. If you find that needle in the haystack, look for the map to the pot of gold too, as that is just about your chance of locating info on the car this motor came from!!! Good luck, Geof[/quote]

I was questioning that myself, but then... I remembered that indeed they did build Dodges @ the Hamtramck plant http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/hamtramckBuiltCars.shtml. Check it out! Thanks for the great site again Barry!

But only the only the Darts and Barracuda would have the 340 in them in 1969.

on the small blocks(273,318,340 and 360) the EIN,(engine identification number) is on the drivers side at the front of the bock,just below the cylinder head.If you have power steering,look approx 4" above the top of the filler tube of the pump

begining in 68,the last 8 digits of the v.i.n are stamped on a pad on the pass side of the block just above the oil pan,the # you show is 9=69,B= hamtrack,then sequence # of car that motor came from.Look on the drivers side

The stamping at the front of block below cylinder head will give you the build date of the engine, the CI and an inspection stamp.

Typically this build date is approx. 30 days or so before the build date of the car.

-
Back