Epoxy primer

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I have my hood fenders and some odds and ends ready for primer. The hood and odds and ends are raw so they will get epoxy. The fenders I scuffed up good little filler work. Took them down smooth with 80g. Should I go ahead and shot those epoxy as well? Going back over all it with high build too.

Epoxy primer goes on bare metal only.Do not put it over any body filler.Use filler primer over scuffed paint and body filler

We epoxy over body work all time. We epoxy first then body work then epoxy again then hi build primer. Mostly because when you sand your filler you always sand threw your epoxy and if you leave bear metal IT WILL RUST!!!!

I stripped the body to bare metal did my metal work and rough filler once smooth I applyed ever coat filler then another coat of epoxy then high build.

Had my '72 Scamp blasted ver and under, next Veriprime or equilivent epoxy primer, hi build primer over, scuff between, body work next, veriprime bare metal, suff, recoat w. hi-build, scuff, seal, scuff, guide coat, bock, prime, block, prime, ad nauseum.I have the formula for e-3 green that will knock your socks off.

My opinion...Depends on how long they are going to set...if its going to set a few weeks I would epoxy them. If your going to hi build prime them tomorrow I would skip it until right before base coat. I really like epoxy primer (DP90) i'll use it right after I do my body work then i'll use a high build primer block it out then use it as a sealer right before my base coat (wet on wet) spray the epoxy once it flashes over go right into base

Yes, I would suggest using the epoxy over the panels you did not strip. Going over filler is fine. The epoxy will seal the old paint from the new. Some of the older paint lines will have a chemical reaction to the new paints out today and will lift/ craze the paint below even if it has been primed with a high build primer. Remember your paint will only be as good as your foundation. So if there is issues with the old paint that becomes a problem down the road. We will never paint over paint on a car. We always strip to bare metal.

I never heard of epoxy primer hurting body filler. Just like prrc said epoxy will seal the paint. I've worked in a few body shops where we used epoxy as a sealer.

Epoxy primers, especially high build, might be the best choice for some applications but it may not be the best choice for many applications and certainly not absolutely required anywhere. The stuff sands like chewing gum, ruins paper quick.
I learned this the hard way.

Epoxy primer has no build properties to them and are not meant to be sanded. They are to seal and protect. Just like blackace said they can be reduced to a sealer to use as a base for base coat of paint. We do not do this because as I said they are not meant to be sanded. so we reduce are last coat of primer surface to a sealer so we can wet sand with 800 before paint is applied.

Prrc is correct epoxy primer is not meant to be sanded. I believe I have seen both epoxy primer sold as sealers also. Epoxy Primer / Sealer I don't remember who made or makes it.

Now I've seen and have sprayed epoxy primer on bare metal areas around body filler back in the day. But with today's primers and fillers they have come a long way since then, especially with the high build primers.

Ive been taught to not put filler over bare metal either.

WOW!?!?!? I've heard of guys doing that. That's when body filler will crack and literally fall off. The surface of metal needs to be scuffed for body filler to adhere to. That's when we would get cars in and have to fix other people stuff. lol

I'm not mocking you but if that's what you were taught. Then the only ignorance is the teachers.

-
Back