EQ heads on LA 318 question

-
What type EQs do have? LAs or mag rockers? LAs are 1.5s and mags are 1.6 this makes a difference on final lift which effects spring pressure which effects spring pressure requirements.
You are confusing Edelbrock with EQ, ALL EQ heads use magnum style 1.6 pedestal mounted rockers or screw in studs and stud mounted rockers. the mag and LA are identical except for angle of intake manifold bolts.

Its the springs that limit lift, the retainers will clear .600 but springs will bind at .575 and honestly, when you get past .550" you need stiffer springs and different lifters.
Its the retainers and locks that are made for 8mm or 3/8 stems, not springs. If you tried to use 3/8 retainers and locks on 8mm valve the valve would pull out of the retainer and lock when you took spring compressor off. Its 5/16's thats .0025" smaller than 8mm, 3/8's is .0625 larger.

What springs are you referring to Evan?

The springs Hughes and I both sell, I think Hughes # is 1110 120#@1.660

Oh, ok.
I got the Hughes 1199 kit with a .620 coil bind.
They are 1110 springs with a custom retainer allowing the lift and 310lb @ .550
Might want to check them out.
This is from their site:
"MAGNUM SPRING UPGRADE KIT
INC SPRINGS, RETAINERS & LOCKS TO GIVE .620" COIL BIND W/ NO MACHINING"

Oh, ok.
I got the Hughes 1199 kit with a .620 coil bind.
They are 1110 springs with a custom retainer allowing the lift and 310lb @ .550
Might want to check them out.
This is from their site:
"MAGNUM SPRING UPGRADE KIT
INC SPRINGS, RETAINERS & LOCKS TO GIVE .620" COIL BIND W/ NO MACHINING"

I sell the exact same parts, just for $50 less, compress one and measure it....its not .620 at bind unless they have a different idea of bind. I would also never run them over about .550" as more lift than that needs more seat pressure and installed height. At say .575", you should be at 1.80 installed with 140#, at least thats what we do here, I dont know know what they do.
They are correct in the 300#@.550 and the no machining though. I tend to disagree with their numbers on a few things including price. We only sell a few of their products like EFI AG and 850 TB's.

I sell the exact same parts, just for $50 less, compress one and measure it....its not .620 at bind unless they have a different idea of bind. I would also never run them over about .550" as more lift than that needs more seat pressure and installed height. At say .575", you should be at 1.80 installed with 140#, at least thats what we do here, I dont know know what they do.
They are correct in the 300#@.550 and the no machining though. I tend to disagree with their numbers on a few things including price. We only sell a few of their products like EFI AG and 850 TB's.
Wish I had known about you,five years ago... One stop,one package well priced shopping..

Well, here's the deal.
If they advertise .620 and it binds causing destruction then who is responsible for it?
I realize we are all supposed to verify what goes into our motors but if they adv .620 then being they come from Hughes I would imagine they are capable of it.
I mentioned approx. .600 capable out of safety margin. (err on the safe side) :D

.620" bind means run them at .560" or less lift to have the typical .060" safety margin. Running .620" bind springs at .600" is like playing Russian roulette and is gonna be a problem when it floats the least tiny bit.... .020" margin is not enough. Heck, decades back, a typical recommendation was to maintain .100" lift margin from bind!

.620" bind means run them at .560" or less lift to have the typical .060" safety margin. Running .620" bind springs at .600" is like playing Russian roulette and is gonna be a problem when it floats the least tiny bit.... .020" margin is not enough. Heck, decades back, a typical recommendation was to maintain .100" lift margin from bind!

I totally agree, but since he already has his cam and the concern was what springs and accessories to use with an approximate .450 lift then what I am trying to tell all you guys is that they would work great wouldn't they? :D

You are confusing Edelbrock with EQ, ALL EQ heads use magnum style 1.6 pedestal mounted rockers or screw in studs and stud mounted rockers. the mag and LA are identical except for angle of intake manifold bolts.
Agreed. I have LA versions of the EQ's and the only difference between them and regular magnum EQ's is the intake bolt angle and size. Nothing is different with the rocker arms (the way they mount or the ratio)

I know this is old but, I was hoping you could help me with valve springs.
If it helps my cam is a 220/230 @.050 496/513 112lsa regrind
Might you point me in the right direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
The person you need to ask is the cam grinder. 901 Comp springs may work fine but they should be checked on their site for coil bind nd then physically checked when they are installed and set up.

I ran the original made in Australia EQ heads with the standard length 4.92” valves using this kit from Hughes Engines. Ran an Isky hydraulic (with 1.6 rockers) that calculated to .517” valve lift. The springs are good for lift up to .540” Just keep in mind that’s calculated lift. Actual lift will be less due to angularity loss in the valvetrain. I had no valve seal to retainer clearance issues. They were a drop in deal, still need to check clearances though. You could piece together the parts needed likely for less. Maybe someone here has that info which might be a good option

Part # HUG 1199

https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...gRG9kZ2UgTWFnbnVt&level1=VmFsdmUgU3ByaW5ncw==

Last edited:
I ran the original made in Australia EQ heads with the standard length 4.92” valves using this kit from Hughes Engines. Ran an Isky hydraulic (with 1.6 rockers) that calculated to .517” valve lift. The springs are good for lift up to .540” Just keep in mind that’s calculated lift. Actual lift will be less due to angularity loss in the valvetrain. I had no valve seal to retainer clearance issues. They were a drop in deal, still need to check clearances though. You could piece together the parts needed likely for less. Maybe someone here has that info which might be a good option

Part # HUG 1199

https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...gRG9kZ2UgTWFnbnVt&level1=VmFsdmUgU3ByaW5ncw==
My thought was that Hughes is just buying them from another manufacturer and reselling them for a profit the way utawesome is really just Pac 1286-16

For the right length of pushrods go to "pushrod geometry for engines" by straub technologies. basically find the right length needed so that at half lift at the rocker there's a 90 deg right angle from the rocker to the valve stem.

I have some springs and retainers that are the same as the built EQ heads use, they should work and will be less that hughes kit. I was looking for some valves for another guy on here and ran across 3 boxex of "stock" not 550 springs.

For the right length of pushrods go to "pushrod geometry for engines" by straub technologies. basically find the right length needed so that at half lift at the rocker there's a 90 deg right angle from the rocker to the valve stem.
If you didn't know that is a utube vid

-
Back