EQ heads question

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
Who is the "official" importer of the EQ heads. Or the RHS heads,

OR THE DANG IRON, FLOW BETTER THAN MAGNUMS, CAN BE HAD WITH LA OR MAGNUM INTAKE BOLT SETUP, CAN USE STOCK MAGNUM VALVES, THE BANG FOR THE BUCK, 300 DOLLAR A PIECE BARE,

heads? :D

I am confused as to exactly who and where they are coming from.

I want to get the specs on the spring pocket dimensions and such of a bare head.

I know that the heads were sold by somebody at one time who went out of business, then somebody else started making them again.

I just want to know the exact scoop.

Thanks.

EDIT: I suppose I may as well tell what I want to do with them. I have a set of already ground and cleaned drop in magnum valves. Got a score on a 65000 mile LA Roller 318. Want to do a magnum head swap on the 318 with a weiand action plus and a thermoquad, reground cam, to push around a 323 geared street car.

RHS head is now Indy.....

maybe someone down under will take a photo of the casting plant?...lol

OK, so

RHS used to import the heads and now Indy does?

And the heads are the:

LA-X and the MA-X, which used to be the "EQ" heads (from RHS),

Correct?

OK, so

RHS used to import the heads and now Indy does?

And the heads are the:

LA-X and the MA-X, which used to be the "EQ" heads,

Correct?

No...EQ heads are not the same as the Indy head...EQ is more of a magnum replacement head...but better..

EQ and Indy's not the same. Don't know where the Indy's are/were made, but it's not the same casting as the EQs. The LA-X is in a league of its own apart from the "high quality replacement" and "LA pattern Magnum replacement" heads- the LA-X is the only one to use the shaft-mount rockers on iron heads based off the Magnums. About all the replacements are supposed to flow better than stock.

IIRC the EQs used to come from Clearwater.

I bought mine bare from Eric Haugland of enginequest in Las Vegas. From what I understood he has the license or something to import/sell them & he gave me a discount after that crook Ben Gorman of "promax' in Indianapolis sold me a set of chinese knockoffs claiming they were EQ's & I got the pics/paperwork to prove it. The good ones from Eric had a sheet inside from Australia regarding recommended valve guide clearance the EQ foundry was recommending. Eric is a good guy to deal with. 1-800-426-8771 ext 207

As mentioned above, I bought mine through Clearwater/EBay. I got the 202 models fully assembled with the heavier springs. There are several folks selling these on eBay now but I'm not sure who is the official importer/distributor in the states.

OK I have been reading alot about them and honestly if you want iron heads EQ heads are the way to go. But if your going to spend the money to have them ported and polished then get a set of stock replaclement factory Magnum heads and have them ported and polished the cost will be cheaper in the long run and the late model Magnum heads are a good place to start for a street build.

If you want to lighten the front end of your car then go with a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads and spend the extra money. It all depends on your needs, goals and desires..... and of course your budget for your build.

OK I have been reading alot about them and honestly if you want iron heads EQ heads are the way to go. But if your going to spend the money to have them ported and polished then get a set of stock replaclement factory Magnum heads and have them ported and polished the cost will be cheaper in the long run and the late model Magnum heads are a good place to start for a street build.
May I ask why you would recommend OE magnums if porting them? More details please

May I ask why you would recommend OE magnums if porting them? More details please

Yea, me too. I have some EQ's and they outflowed OE mag heads in as supplied form.

The Indy heads WERE the RHS casting. We have a set from RHS on another (race) car that was very impressive performance wise for the cost.

My EQ's with the same prep as the RHS's, (ie: 2.02 intake, new VJ mild clean up and unshrouding the chamber) actually outflowed the "race" RHS heads below .500" lift. Go figure. At max flow, .650" the EQ were behind the RHS's by a whopping 5 cfm.

Same bench, same day testing.

The other advantage to the Indy X (ex RHS) head is that they can be bought for either magnum or LA valve train. While the EQ's are only set up for the Magnum stuff. The EQ's however, can be bought for either an LA or Magnum intake.

Bare EQ castings should be right around $300 each and there is NO bigger bang for your cylinder head buck out there. Period.

Reference:

http://www.aamidwest.com/press/engi...cylinder-heads-wake-up-any-small-block-mopar/

If you want to lighten the front end of your car then go with a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads and spend the extra money. It all depends on your needs, goals and desires..... and of course your budget for your build.

Apparently your not aware of the problem with the vast majority of OE Magnum heads cracking between the valves. I had a set off a 29,000 mile truck that already had a crack between a set of valves. Furthermore "out of the box" EQ's with small valves will flow as much as a mildly ported OE magnum head. IMO, if you didn't have any heads and had to acquire a set there's no logical reason you'd want to use a stock magnum head for a performance application since the EQ heads can be had so cheap and offer more performance right out of the box. JMHO

Yea, me too. I have some EQ's and they outflowed OE mag heads in as supplied form.

The Indy heads WERE the RHS casting. We have a set from RHS on another (race) car that was very impressive performance wise for the cost.

My EQ's with the same prep as the RHS's, (ie: 2.02 intake, new VJ mild clean up and unshrouding the chamber) actually outflowed the "race" RHS heads below .500" lift. Go figure. At max flow, .650" the EQ were behind the RHS's by a whopping 5 cfm.

Same bench, same day testing.

The other advantage to the Indy X (ex RHS) head is that they can be bought for either magnum or LA valve train. While the EQ's are only set up for the Magnum stuff. The EQ's however, can be bought for either an LA or Magnum intake.

Bare EQ castings should be right around $300 each and there is NO bigger bang for your cylinder head buck out there. Period.

Reference:

http://www.aamidwest.com/press/engi...cylinder-heads-wake-up-any-small-block-mopar/

Agreed. The EQ castings I received O.O.T.B., were a lot cleaner castings ,than the RHS castings my engine guy worked for another customer. And one hell ,of a lot cheaper.

-
Back