Ever let someone else Drive your car????

-

draginmopars

Reaction score
I have been wanting to watch my car to see and hear what it is really doing.

I asked my friend Bill to drive
We HAD a BLAST!!!!!!!

His first pass .0009

069_zpsyctaiyf2.jpg

next pass .001

073_zpsunm9vyws.jpg

by the end of the night
finished 2nd in "Super Street" with a .058

Finished 1st in "Quick Eight" with a .012
6.88 et

018_zpslydszku3.jpg

Just once. A 69 Coronet R/T hemi. Right over the curb totaled. I guess definitely on the track, if its not a rare car.

Gotta love the woop-*** put on the completion with a 4-door.

My buddy has been dragging a 4-door cutlass since high school.
That sob olds is really fast 30 years later, 6.5 in the 1/8 all steel with the ac on.
He drags it every weekend in the summer.

What is not to like about that.

Mine is a road race car, and yes, I have let other road race car drivers run the car. Great feedback, as I am rather used to the way it handles, and a second/third opinion is always good!

Attachments

• 66-Plymouth-Barracuda-num15-DV-11-PH_06.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 461
Had a 1978 Harley Sportster I could usually start with just one kick (i removed the electric starter). The trick was to set the starter pedal at the very bottom of the stroke where it would just barely catch. If you tried to kick it over with the pedal all the way up, it was just too much compression to get a good spin. Well, one day a neighbor/friend of mine (about 40 years old) asked me if he could take it for a spin. Obviously, I would prefer he not take it anywhere. My quick thinking brought to mind the perfect solution, which would not be a "no" answer, but would probably prevent him from ever driving away on my bike. "If you can start it, then you can ride it," I proposed. Well, he kicked it over and over until he wore himself out. I don't think he ever got a single pop out of it. I was pretty proud of the way I handled it. My friend was all smiles at the end, especially after seeing me fire the bike up afterward with only one or two quick, easy strokes.

Only a few, who I know can handle themselves in a fast car.

If you let someone race your car, you had better be able to accept the fact that if they wreck or break, it ain't on them. The flip side is that if they get hurt its on them not me. Both parties need accept this before they go down track. Thats Racing.

Yes, all the time....even Memike drove my Valiant :glasses7:

It's especially fun when the person driving is banging through the gears :burnout:

Only my dad. Thought about letting my friend make a pass in it but may let him run a 14.00 in the mustang first. My car is always straight as an arrow though.

i let jamie run my dart. made her keep it in "D". after getting used to it she finally went a 12.7 in it.. was pretty cool to see

Had a 1978 Harley Sportster I could usually start with just one kick (i removed the electric starter). The trick was to set the starter pedal at the very bottom of the stroke where it would just barely catch. If you tried to kick it over with the pedal all the way up, it was just too much compression to get a good spin. Well, one day a neighbor/friend of mine (about 40 years old) asked me if he could take it for a spin. Obviously, I would prefer he not take it anywhere. My quick thinking brought to mind the perfect solution, which would not be a "no" answer, but would probably prevent him from ever driving away on my bike. "If you can start it, then you can ride it," I proposed. Well, he kicked it over and over until he wore himself out. I don't think he ever got a single pop out of it. I was pretty proud of the way I handled it. My friend was all smiles at the end, especially after seeing me fire the bike up afterward with only one or two quick, easy strokes.

My dad pulled the same thing on me when I was a 90lb kid. It was always "if you can strart it, you can have it! (78 Sportster) he would use it to get me out of his hair. Well every dog has his day! :glasses7: we went to a friend of dads who lived in a court yard apartment and dad would kill it and coast in. Dad wanted me out of the apartment (likely so they could smoke weed) (very likely) so I get the keys thrown to me and out the door I went. Well by now I'd seen dad do it so many times - turn the key to on, click the kill switch on, give it just a little throttle, and get the kicker to that right position - put both feet on the kicker (remember I'm maybe 90LB's at the time) and pop-pop-cra-vvrroooom!!! Var-ooooooommm Var-ooooooommm pop pop Var-ooooooommm!!!! The sweet sounds of victory were bouncing off of every apartment in that courtyard ! Well dad comes-a flying out that friends place like his pants are on fire (likely his lungs too-lol) and dove for the kill switch. Half proud - half pissed he smiled and said good job son, but next time a little less throttle after ya get it started ! :D

yes, when my friend had put his motor in the hotrod. his stuff to do as many rpm's as he wanted to. surprisingly he listen to all my instructions and did really well.

Back in the 70's-80's I had 4 race cars. I used to "rent" out my Z/SA 65 Valiant for bracket racing, while I drove 1 or 2 of my other cars. That car made me a lot of money.
Lately I have let a friend drive my 66 Valiant, when I drove my 66 Cuda.

I've let a couple of people have seat time in the car in exchange for wrench work they did helping me. I thought it was a fair return on their labor.

My big block dart had been put away in a corner as other projects took up my time. So rather than let it sit pops and I decided to let a friend use it. He taught ROP class at a high school and the dart became the shop car for his classes. For close to ten years. A lot of kids learned how to drag race in that car. This was Claremont high school in SoCal in the 90s.

My big block dart had been put away in a corner as other projects took up my time. So rather than let it sit pops and I decided to let a friend use it. He taught ROP class at a high school and the dart became the shop car for his classes. For close to ten years. A lot of kids learned how to drag race in that car. This was Claremont high school in SoCal in the 90s.

This is way too cool, doesn't happen enough anymore.

Only once, TXDart360 . He didn't scare me half as bad as he did trailering it through Austin in traffic and rain...LOL!

I have been wanting to watch my car to see and hear what it is really doing.

I asked my friend Bill to drive
We HAD a BLAST!!!!!!!

His first pass .0009

069_zpsyctaiyf2.jpg

next pass .001

073_zpsunm9vyws.jpg

by the end of the night
finished 2nd in "Super Street" with a .058

Finished 1st in "Quick Eight" with a .012
6.88 et

018_zpslydszku3.jpg

Are you footbrakin' that car? Your friend Bill can cut a light!

Are you footbrakin' that car? Your friend Bill can cut a light!

Yes, foot breakin
Yes, that's why Bill is driving
I like watching, trying to see and hear
What adjustments to make.

We got it down to 6.70 et last night> Saturday :burnout:

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=umHCUEnbp5A

Yep!!! my grandson, now 16 years old (me 66 years young), he just get his "temporary" driver's permit.

In the same afternoon I let him drive:

my bike: not a success, he falls 3 times
my daughter 1973 Scamp (360 cu. in.) : did very well.
my brand new 2015 Black Xpress Ram: did even better of course, but he prefer the Scamp!!!

Yes. A good friend who put many hours into my car over the years. We were at the track one
Saturday and I asked him "want to make a pass or two?'. It felt good to let him experience the fruits of his labor. He really enjoyed it. He took it easy to get a feel for the car. He ran about a second slower than I was running.

-
Back