Exhaust sounds True duals vs X-pipe or H-pipe.

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have read many articles on the benefits of crossovers, yada yada yada. I like the sound of true duals in this video from this site.

Versus his crossover.

Mine is quieter than his crossover

I have also searched and this comparison was all I could find of the differences. Does anyone here have a before and after when switching from duals to crossover or the other way so that I can hear the differences? I am not worried about power differences. I have enough. I also watched the Engine Masters show about it and they found very little differences in HP, Torque and sound levels. But they did acknowledge that they sounded differently. Decibel levels of 129, 128 and 127 from straight, H, and X.

Show me your comparisons. Currently , I have an X pipe Pypes 3 into 2.5 with race pro exhaust.

Is everything the same with the car between your first and second video? Because I always prefer a crossover but the sound from the first video (no crossover) sounds significantly better.

Is everything the same with the car between your first and second video? Because I always prefer a crossover but the sound from the first video (no crossover) sounds significantly better.

I got the videos from a prior post. It seems that the owner , Stan, did the install of the x-pipe and took before and after videos.

X pipe install

I am thinking of going the opposite direction. Everyone is different in their tastes. First on the list is a change from 1.5 rockers to 1.6 rockers. I will see if there are any changes then. I was hoping that there would be a few others who made the change and have video of the sounds.

I've never liked the way any cross over of any kind makes the exhaust sound. It takes a lot away from the exhaust note. Makes it flat and not crisp.

Back in the mid 90s, when I ordered my Doug Thorley headers for my 65 Valiant, I actually got old Doug hisself on the phone. Man could that old guy talk! He'd probably forgotten more about exhaust than most will ever know. Anyway, he talked in depth about how he couldn't stand any type of cross over. That all the dyno pulls they'd ever done showed little to no gain and sometimes a loss. He also said it made the exhaust note flat and just blahhhhhhh. He didn't like them. I never have either. Of course all the advertisements you see from exhaust companies will say there are gains. They want to sell stuff. I think they're much ado about not a damn thing, except making an exhaust system sound like crap.

So, from chop to not....ya? I couldnt even hear the last on the work computer. The last is X pipe?

Im looking at my X pipe as a free driveline loop:lol:

So, from chop to not....ya? I couldnt even hear the last on the work computer. The last is X pipe?

Yeah but NHRA doesn't see it like that. LOL

Drop a driveline at speed and you'll be buying a new exhaust. lol
Kent, your exhaust sounds great.

I do like the crisp note, but I am going more stealth with this build. lots of dynomat, new seals, and AC.

and an X pipe

Yep - like anything else, there's a time and a place. Sounds like your application is a good one for a cross over. From past cars I've had, x-pipes had a smoother tone than a straight cross over.

I've had a Pypes 2.5" dual exhaust system with X-pipe on my Duster (400-hp 360) since 2010 and I agree, I'm not a fan of the X-pipe sound. When I eventually go from the current shorty headers to proper long tubes I'm gonna run 3" pipes from the collectors all the way to the mufflers and then neck down to 2.5". I may add an H-pipe to tune the secondary length of the headers shorter but that would be the only reason besides making the exhaust quieter.

As an update, I changed to 1.6 rocker arms from 1.5 in the other video. Here is the updated sound.

isolated duals sound like a steel drum if you have some crazy roller can and Flowmaster. A crossover tube middles all the pulses together and gives a mellower note and possibly less drone. The crossover tube did other things too, Pontiac put a crossover tube on their 63 super duty Tempest drag car for some reason. It was about 3" behind the open headers outlet behind the front wheels. Weird looking setup.

I like the rumpity rump of the first video, first post.
I, however, will be putting a Jegs H pipe on my 74. You guys call it a crossover pipe but I've always called it a balance pipe since it's supposed to help with scavenging. The only pipes I'll have to fab is from the H to the over the axle pipes.

I have read many articles on the benefits of crossovers, yada yada yada. I like the sound of true duals in this video from this site.

Versus his crossover.

Mine is quieter than his crossover

I have also searched and this comparison was all I could find of the differences. Does anyone here have a before and after when switching from duals to crossover or the other way so that I can hear the differences? I am not worried about power differences. I have enough. I also watched the Engine Masters show about it and they found very little differences in HP, Torque and sound levels. But they did acknowledge that they sounded differently. Decibel levels of 129, 128 and 127 from straight, H, and X.

Show me your comparisons. Currently , I have an X pipe Pypes 3 into 2.5 with race pro exhaust.

The first does sound the best. I prefer the sound of the H-pipe over the X-pipe when the engine is under load.

I like duals, at most I'd add an H pipe.

Seems like I remember an episode of engine masters where it turned out H was the most hp/tq improvement throughout the range.

None of them sound right ,
The distinctive mellow tone of the Mopars is the "resonator" on the end .
jmo

Last edited:
None of them sound right ,
The distinctive sound of the Mopars is the "resonator" on the end .
jmo

I REMEMBER the soundS of the stock hi performance Mopars, 68--later RR, GTX, Dart, Duster etc

But I think they all had crossovers. The B bodies, anyhow.
I still remember arguing with my 69 getting the gearbox out. The exhaust was all welded, and the "H" pipe kept the pipes "in the way"

The 70 had headers via the original owner, an H pipe and the mufflers "incorrectly" tucked up under the floor, with DAMN-I-WISH-I-HAD a pattern for the side exit pipes They angled outwards soon after the mufflers, angled parallel to the body line about 4-6" inboard of the rocker, wet straight back about a foot? and they angled out 45 in front of the tires with the ends sliced parallel to the body. 2 1/2" pained black. Looked great and sounded bad as hell.

There was a "cross" brace near the rear, and the entire exhaust was therefore one piece. I could drop a hanger off the frame on each side, drop the collectors, and pull the entire assy. out from under the car

My 73 Sport with built 340. Dynomax Super Turbos with Summit 2.5 inch exhaust and Summit H-pipe kit. Sounds great from outside but terrible drone between 1800 - 2200 RPM.

-
Back