F**K YOU TAIWANESE/CHINESE MADE JUNK

-
The Craftsman lathes never used a cam lock chuck. They were all threaded spindles. The Craftsman 6" swing baby lathes used 1"-8 or 1"-10 threaded spindles, depending on when it was made. The larger 10"/12" swing Atlas/Craftsman lathes all used a 1 1/2"-8 threaded spindle noses. There are tons of options for new and used three and four jaw chucks out there for very reasonable prices. A three jaw is quicker, but less precise, while a four jaw can be dialed in to eliminate all runout, but takes a little effort. Nothing wrong with a threaded spindle but you need to be careful if you are plugging reverse or the chuck can unthread itself and end up in your lap.

Well that sucks. I know of a nice 3 jaw that isn’t being used but it’s a bigger spindle.

I forgot who made those lathes for Craftsman or when they stopped making them but I figured they were too old for cam lock stuff.

Those were good lathes.

Well oops! It's made in Taiwan, but I'm sure people will say Taiwan and China are the same thing, which is somewhat true I guess. I changed the title, just incase.

Anyway, it took me 30 seconds with the rotory tool to fix the issue and now the stat fits perfect in the recess.

20240704_111148.jpg

20240704_110751.jpg

We will see how the cheap water neck holds up over time.

everyone is always complaining things are getting to weak, to small, cutting corners to save pennies

here is a guy who gets an extra beefy part and hes still not happy

geesh

everyone is always complaining things are getting to weak, to small, cutting corners to save pennies

here is a guy who gets an extra beefy part and hes still not happy

geesh
Let's say you go to a restaurant that is having a special of 5 dollars for any meal. You buy the biggest steak meal they have and is smells and tastes terrible. You got all that food for cheap, why you not happy?

Well oops! It's made in Taiwan, but I'm sure people will say Taiwan and China are the same thing, which is somewhat true I guess. I changed the title, just incase.

Anyway, it took me 30 seconds with the rotory tool to fix the issue and now the stat fits perfect in the recess.

View attachment 1716271573

View attachment 1716271574

I would run that across a flat surface with some emery paper and check to make sure it’s flat and knock that chrome off the sealing surface.

Your problem starts with the chrome t-stat housings, everybody knows they are junk. OE housings are the way to go. No trimming, grinding, 3 pages of shenanigans.
Bolt on and go.

Let's say you go to a restaurant that is having a special of 5 dollars for any meal. You buy the biggest steak meal they have and is smells and tastes terrible. You got all that food for cheap, why you not happy?
No, this is more like the time I was in that lil diner in russleville KY (Mas kitchen maybe, i dont recall) and they had the 12 Oz steak on special

I ordered it and 15 minutes later the waitress came out with a her southern drawl said "I'm sorry hun, but we was all out of 12s, so I fried you up two 8s"

I didn't complain, I simply said "thank you ma'am" and set out to eat those two eight ounce country fried steaks
And the gravy
And the cornbread
And the potatoes
And the collared greens (did I mention this was in Kentucky?)

It was more like that...right down to the tummy ache I got from overeating

But I didn't complain

Shoot, I tried to go back there last time I passed through KY, but it had long since been gone

I hear you, dude. The problem is that if we say screw Chinese parts, that limits aftermarket parts greatly. A lot of them are pretty good quality. I had the same problem with a thermostat housing several years ago. I wound up buying a Billet Specialties, polished aluminum billet housing with an O-ring. It was so perfect. I had serious leakage problems prior to that, and I tried everything. Now I know some people are going to say well you didn’t try this gasket or that gasket or this sealant or that sealant. Yes I did. I tried everything. The billet specialties thermostat housing with an O-ring worked perfect. You could scuff it up and paint it if you wanted to.

Well that sucks. I know of a nice 3 jaw that isn’t being used but it’s a bigger spindle.

I forgot who made those lathes for Craftsman or when they stopped making them but I figured they were too old for cam lock stuff.

Those were good lathes.
Atlas made the lathes for Craftsman and at the very end, I believe Clausing was involved. They are very capable machines and very easy to fix.

Some of the South Bend, Clausing, and other brands used a 2 1/4-8 spindle nose thread. These machines typically could take a 5C collet, while the 1 1/2-8 were relegated to a smaller MT2 collet.
It’s an old bolt on four jaw Chuck if I remember right. I think it’s still off.
A lot of chucks were flat backed with no mounting system and would bolt onto a plate designed for a specific spindle nose such as D1-3, 1 1/2-8 threaded, or L00 taper. They could make the complicated part (lathe chuck) in one SKU and adapt to many lathes with the cheap, changable backing plates. Smart design.

If you want any help with that lathe or chuck, ping me. I've rebuilt several of the 6" and 12" lathes. Might have some usable parts or could answer questions. I have chambered and threaded rifle barrel blanks on the Craftsman 12x36 I had. They can be very effective, when you understand where their limitations are.

The problem is that if we say screw Chinese parts, that limits aftermarket parts greatly
That is very true. 85% of the time I have no choice but to wait and see what I get. I've dealt with very good quality Chinese part and terrible parts. I've asked one of the auto parts stores that supplied parts to the shop I worked at for a simple fuel filter that was made in this continent. Did they do that? Nope. Got a made in Taiwan filter instead. It's like you have no choice most of the time, you get what you get.

BTW, I sent that filter back and used a USA made Chrysler filter. It was not used on a Mopar, but it worked just fine.

Atlas made the lathes for Craftsman and at the very end, I believe Clausing was involved. They are very capable machines and very easy to fix.

Some of the South Bend, Clausing, and other brands used a 2 1/4-8 spindle nose thread. These machines typically could take a 5C collet, while the 1 1/2-8 were relegated to a smaller MT2 collet.

A lot of chucks were flat backed with no mounting system and would bolt onto a plate designed for a specific spindle nose such as D1-3, 1 1/2-8 threaded, or L00 taper. They could make the complicated part (lathe chuck) in one SKU and adapt to many lathes with the cheap, changable backing plates. Smart design.

If you want any help with that lathe or chuck, ping me. I've rebuilt several of the 6" and 12" lathes. Might have some usable parts or could answer questions. I have chambered and threaded rifle barrel blanks on the Craftsman 12x36 I had. They can be very effective, when you understand where their limitations are.

Thanks for any and all info. I started a post in the racing section so we didn’t step all over this gentleman’s post.

Just to let people know, this thread is now not just about a stat housing. It's a conversation about the quality of some of the parts we buy. Yes I made and admitted my mistake of purchasing this simple piece of junk, but the point is sometimes we don't know and it's what we don't know what's going on with autoparts that can bite us in the a$$.

Just to let people know, this thread is now not just about a stat housing. It's a conversation about the quality of some of the parts we buy. Yes I made and admitted my mistake of purchasing this simple piece of junk, but the point is sometimes we don't know and it's what we don't know what's going on with autoparts that can bite us in the a$$.

I call those cheap learning experiences. And we continue to do them till they day we die

AN hose fittings from one place that sells chinese produced product that DO NOT fit in a std AN wrench. Yeah close enough is OK... LOL

Any dimension on a blueprint are just a rough suggestion.

I wonder when you all will have enough. lol I see someone invented the ball hammock underware in case someone wants to get rid of the foreign made nut draggers. lol
:usflag:

View attachment 1716271573

View attachment 1716271574

I will fully admit I might do the same thing, but the issue with doing it this way is that Summit never finds out their part is wrong.

While a pain in the ***, the better bet would be to return it. That way, the problem gets noted. Maybe one return doesn’t change stuff, but a bunch of returns might. Summit did after all stop selling Speedmaster parts after their recent snafu with copying other companies parts without permission.

Like I said, I’m guilty too, I’ve totally modified parts rather than return them because it was faster and got me back on the road.
Throw it away.

Better to send it back and make the manufacturer eat the cost.

I will fully admit I might do the same thing, but the issue with doing it this way is that Summit never finds out their part is wrong.

While a pain in the ***, the better bet would be to return it. That way, the problem gets noted. Maybe one return doesn’t change stuff, but a bunch of returns might. Summit did after all stop selling Speedmaster parts after their recent snafu with copying other companies parts without permission.

Like I said, I’m guilty too, I’ve totally modified parts rather than return them because it was faster and got me back on the road.

Better to send it back and make the manufacturer eat the cost.

You are wrong here. You can give every product Summit sells a review. I know I for one read them.

-
Back