Fabricating a shifter console

-
I'm in the middle of welding in new floors in my 1963 Valiant convert and ideas started popping into my head while I had the welder out. I figured all this practice welding, I can probably make a console. I was going to just use flat sides and top as I hadn't thought about how to make a curve. Seeing your pics, its all clear now. What gauge sheet did you use?

I'm in the middle of welding in new floors in my 1963 Valiant convert and ideas started popping into my head while I had the welder out. I figured all this practice welding, I can probably make a console. I was going to just use flat sides and top as I hadn't thought about how to make a curve. Seeing your pics, its all clear now. What gauge sheet did you use?

Sides are 16ga and top is 18ga. I used 1/8” material to make the trim rings. These are critical because when welding sheetmetal it shrinks and warps very easily. Small tacks and let them cool between welds. I used my air wand to speed the process.

Hi younggun, I am looking at buying the same shifter. The killduff site shows a dart that was fitted into an OE style console. To me the shifter looks a bit large to fit without modifying the transmission tunnel or raising it. Do you think it would be workable with a stock console and just modifying the opening? Looks great! Curious to hear your feed back on how it functions driving around on the street. Thanks Andrew

It would be tight. My console is 6” wide in center and it’s a real ***** getting the levers inside the hole.

Got console back from powder tonight.

C87355EB-BB67-49E6-BCC8-4BF3136A7DB6_zpsx6oyl5pp.jpg

33ECCFC7-CB79-42F3-B5CE-6E264839A23D_zps3cdno6n6.jpg

B781F894-3915-4A78-83BD-68EAEA1CE611_zpsx1aagh1j.jpg

Wish i had half your talent, I know you said its alot of trial and error but you do awesome work

Yep, its cool when you make something thats a one of a kind like that. Then everytime you look at it, you can say damn that looks good, or I'm a bad *** fabricator.

I just think of the time sucking money leaching idea that hatched in my brain and the idea that festered. I can wonder if my imagination is a blessing or a curse. My father is a function over form guy. I like **** to work and look good. I work really hard in my adult world to pay for the junk I want in my childish world. I just want pops to be proud.

How bout some indirect backlighting the slots the shifter handles come out of with green LEDs so you see just the glow from the LEDs and not the light itself. That would be cool.

How bout some indirect backlighting the slots the shifter handles come out of with green LEDs so you see just the glow from the LEDs and not the light itself. That would be cool.

The only prob with that is that the lights will show all my other gaps and shotty worksmanship

Just seal the gaps on the back side of the console with black RTV. I found some nice dark green dimmable 12V leds on ebay that i bought for my projects. Come pre terminated with red n black wires soldered and shrink wrapped to them. I think i got 25 of em including shipping for $5

Or how about this idea, cut out a piece of 1/16" or 1/8" thick clear lexan or plexiglass in the shape of your slotted shifter plate, and sandwich it between the plate and the console face, drill small holes the diameter of the LEDs on the console face and thru the plexiglass or lexan but do not drill through the top slotted plate. Slip flat topped high bright LEDs in from underneath into the holes. They will cause the plexiglass or lexan to light up around the shifter cutouts. Sand the slots nice and smooth for maximum lighting effect, Paint the outer perimeter of the plexiglass with black paint. So it only lights up the shifter slots. This way you wont have to seal up the rest of the console, and it will look factory done like the rest of your console. My wifes caravan the cup holders are lit up the same way, a ring of clear plastic sandwiched in, and LED indirect lighting. If you decide you dont like it, you can de mod it easily. Just remove the leds and lexan / plexiglass spacer, and reinstall the top plate without it.

Last edited:
What do you think of the indirect lighting effect using sandwiched plexiglass?

I know exactly what your talking about and it is a great idea. I have so many hours in it now that I’m kinda ready to be done. I might revisit the idea very soon though. I have lost high gear in the trans and smoked the converter with the new engine. It’s all coming out tomorrow and going to cope race trans on a pallet. I’ve been bleeding cash lately. I still need a roll bar and harness too. The car went 9.96 at 133mph last time out. That was in jeans, t shirt with factory buckets, lap belts, no trans blanket, no roll bar, etc. I got a very very stern talking to and invited to not come back without all the safety gear.

Dude this console is badass. I now have ideas for making my own as well :D
That MDF mockup is a really smart way to do it, cheap and easy to trace onto other materials. Love it!

I know exactly what your talking about and it is a great idea. I have so many hours in it now that I’m kinda ready to be done. I might revisit the idea very soon though. I have lost high gear in the trans and smoked the converter with the new engine. It’s all coming out tomorrow and going to cope race trans on a pallet. I’ve been bleeding cash lately. I still need a roll bar and harness too. The car went 9.96 at 133mph last time out. That was in jeans, t shirt with factory buckets, lap belts, no trans blanket, no roll bar, etc. I got a very very stern talking to and invited to not come back without all the safety gear.
Wow that thing is fast !!!!! No wonder why your upgrading everything.

-
Back