Fabricating new seat mounts..

-

grassy

Reaction score
Are there any metal fabricators out there in FABO land ?

I am installing non mopar buckets in our '75 Duster.

They are 20 inches wide at the front so I know they fit. Unfortunately, the track is 18 inches wide (Duster tracks are 12 inches hole to hole) so I am looking at the following situation:

rails0001-L.jpg

I don't weld so all will have to be held together by nuts and bolts.

Probably the best product to use would be channel or box steel but I am trying to keep the height down. can I use lets say 1/8 or 3/16 cold finished rolled steel or would that make the seats too springy ?

Advice or what have you done ?

Thanks
Grassy

Buy a welder..............Seriously though, maybe bolt some 1/4 " flat stock to your existing holes, longer than whats there and then redrill holes in proper location and bolt again, kinda dependant upon the shape of the floor as well.

Same idea as below \/ \/\/

cut a flat plate that will bolt to your seat bottom in the factory bolt holes. then bolt the plate to your sliders. summit racing sells universal tracks that are only 1.5" tall. here are the mounts that i made for my seats. they dont have adjuster tracks but same idea.

You have an old car and don't weld? They go hand in hand. Makes life a lot easier.

I used old bed frame angle iron and a cheap 110v mig welder to mount non mopar seats in my Dart.

Summit has aluminum brackets for racing seats with a series of holes to get the heigth and slope angle desired.

Thanks.

Nope, no welder. Haven't welded since '82. That is why we bought a rust free Duster so I could avoid welding :) . I know, wimp.

The first thing I need to do is check the height of the seat cushion.

What height should I be aiming for ?

Te Summit brackets look good.

Thanks
Ian.

The OEM brackets are sloped and different heghts too. I guess the best approach with alternate seats is to set them in and use lots of small pieces of wood to get an idea how they should sit.

Redfish,

I think the challenges of rebuilding this car differently than what it came out of the factory is really part of the fun.

Time in the garage with my kids = good times and memories.

Yes, this is going to be interesting.

Thanks
ian.

-
Back