Fabricators question

-

Badart

Reaction score
I can't find a front drive shaft for my Dodge W100 4x4. It is a 70-72 frame and drivetrain. When I bought the truck it was missing and I thought it was no big deal, but I can't find one locally. What makes it hard to find is the fact that it is a divorced NP205 transfer case so the drive shaft is almost 43" long and anything made later than 72 is much shorter. The salvage yards tend to cut the Dana 44's out of the trucks first thing and take half of the drive shaft with it.

Here is my plan. Pick up one of the shorter shafts from a later model and cut it and slip over a good piece of 1/4" wall DOM tubing and weld it to get my 42 1/2" that I need. I have access to a lathe at work and get the alignment and fit perfect. I am not too worried about balancing it, because it doesn't turn until the transfer case or hubs are locked and it will only be used offroad. This is a low buck project, because all of my money goes into my dart at this point. What do you think?

Attachments

• Dodge5.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 118
I see no reson why It wont work and should be plenty strong I have made shifts from much thiner stuff............Artie

it should work fine just curious are you gonna leave the chrome trim on your truck or take it off?

Go for it!!!!!! I have seen your skills and I don't see any problem you will run into Badart :happy10:
I wish I had one around here but with all the old metal getting smashed it would be a hard find for sure.

Go for it!!!!!! I have seen your skills and I don't see any problem you will run into Badart :happy10:
I wish I had one around here but with all the old metal getting smashed it would be a hard find for sure.

Thanks Memike. I would rather find the correct shaft, but at this point it looks like my only option. I will pick one up today.

-
Back