Favorate band growing up

-
Bluefish finally hit on the Doobie brothers. Lets not forget Frank Zappa, Leon Russel, Leon Redbone. How about Arlo Guthrie? Lenny Kravitz, Jay Guiles. Phoebe Snow and now Nora Jones and oh yes Stevie Ray Vaughn. A major loss. Nora Jones is the daughter of Robbie Shankar. The sitar player that hung with the beatles. One thing mandatory in my shop is TUNES.

o.k. i'll admit it . my favorite is KISS , then Tesla and Cinderella. 80's hair metal band's rule also.

Yeah! KISS for sure! Also, Boston, Pink Floyd, Rush, and AC/DC!

Me on Halloween!

GENE2 (2).JPG

I can't believe I forgot to add the Doobie Bros to my list. Certain songs just make you want to put the pedal to the metal and "Runnin down the Hwy" always did that to me.

I can't believe I forgot to add the Doobie Bros to my list. Certain songs just make you want to put the pedal to the metal and "Runnin down the Hwy" always did that to me.

Right on fishy, Saw the Doobies live when they were a back-up group to T-Rex. They were much better than T and the rest is history...........

I was in high school from 992-96 and if anyone can remember the music back then it was terrible.

Luckily I didnt listen to it, LOL

I have to say Metallica was my favorite, We went to See Metallica and Suicidal Tendencies in 94. I was also big in to Pantera back then.

Still love those bands, Wish I could have seen Pantera though.

Still love those bands, Wish I could have seen Pantera though.

My best friend (whom plays guitar and is THE biggest Dimebag fan alive...) met him at the Starland Ballroom in Jersey with Damage Plan a week before he was murdered on-stage. That was beyond sad....

Think I'll pull up Cemetary Gates and play it now......
239.gif

I used to go see Zebra play all the local clubs growing up in Queens, N.Y. back in the late 70-s, early 80's. This was back in the day of big "Rock" clubs. I grew up on a steady diet of Zebra, Twisted Sister, Rat Race Choir, etc...

Zebra was know for playing covers of Led Zeppelin songs better than Zeppelin would. Seeing Zebra play "The Song Remains The Same" was exhilarating... 8)

The show was breathtaking and yes Randy Jackson did sing `em better than what Plant is doing them now. They came out with The Immigrant Song then into Kashmir and covered a lot of the first 5 albums with songs like Good Times Bad Times, Heartbreaker, and Misty Mountain Hop. My favorites were The Rain Song and Since I`ve Been Lovin' You. They closed the show with Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean. The orchestration was just fantastic and really complimented the band. I highly recommend the show to anybody that`s a Zeppelin fan.

Kiss was the first I started listening to because I had all their albums. Then Metallica (their new stuff sucks).

The 80s bands mostly already listed above.

I do listen to Pink,AC/DC,Led,Bob Segar etc..

Great thread. Anybody here an old punk rocker/skater like me?

Can't claim to have one favorite band. I began going to punk/hardcore shows around 1984. I went to see bands like Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Bad Brains, 7 Seconds, The Necros, Minor Threat, Bad Religion, The Adolescents, Social Distortion, Underdog, Murphy's Law and on and on at a fairly young age... those were the bands that got me going. Basically anything related to skateboarding as well.

Before that though in the early '80s when I was riding around on my BMX bike it was basically all Van Halen all the time, then Motley Crue then shortly after that Metallica and Slayer.

Was never much into big arena rock or straight-up metal, mostly went to shows in underground clubs and basements and an all-ages place called the Anthrax in CT. Also CBGB's and the Ritz in Manhattan.

My musical tastes are pretty varied - I love ska, reggae, absolutely love surf/instrumental/garage, rockabilly, classic rock, blues, soul/funk, hip hop. I dig it all.

Been playing drums for over 20 years, guitar for about 20. Music is my other passion beyond cars.

Greg

Metallica & Iron Maiden. 2 guys I listened to a lot were Cliff Burton and Steve Harris while trying to figure things out on the bass.

My best friend (whom plays guitar and is THE biggest Dimebag fan alive...) met him at the Starland Ballroom in Jersey with Damage Plan a week before he was murdered on-stage. That was beyond sad....

Think I'll pull up Cemetary Gates and play it now......
239.gif

There is a Nickelback song called "Side of a Bullet that" is all about that nite that dime got shot. I guess Nickelback, Dime and Vinnie Paul were real good friends so Nickelback has old recordings of Dime that they got to use in some of their songs.

I was at a car show about 10 years ago and a little kid was looking at a 70 Cuda. He exclaimed " It looks so neat for being such an old car" and I felt so old becaused I had worked on those cars when they were brand new!
I conveyed that to my dad and he said quit complaining to which he added....
'You never truly know how old you are until the 6 year old is crying for
"grandpa" and it takes you a bit to realize that she is not calling you-she calling for your YOUNGEST SON!"

black oak...ha jim dandy!!!!!!!

I got the plesaure to play the drums for him while his son and girl friend
sat in my shop and partied till 3 am.

A night Treva and storm front " my old band" will never forget.:cheers:

KISS Then & Now!
Head East
Ozzy
Kiss
Styx
ZZ Top
Deep Purple
Led Zep

"Death drives an Airflow Chrysler on the streets of man
A hit and run driver cruising since the world began...."

Be Bop Deluxe, Blazing apostles

(Just always thought this was a funny song, Adriver)

Yeah, I've had my 74 valiant at a few Grateful dead shows during highschool summers.
I remember coming back to the car at Buckeye lake in Ohio and had six girls sitting all over my car getting all Zenned up on nitrous balloons.

It was dark out and I snuck up to the car and opened the door as quietly as I could.
I had dual exhaust and glasspacks on it and it fired up ever time with one pump of the pedal and a flog of the ignition switch.

I snuck my arm in and pumped the pedal and hit the key.......
Then I revved it ...whoom!!!!

Holy crap, you should have heard them scream, and they all flopped off the car and piled up on the ground, then I turned the car off and was LMAO.

That was so funny, and it was just what those girls needed....oxygen from laughing.

Im gonna say im a total Iron Maiden guy, i love guns 'n roses, rush, aerosmith, billy idol, Dragon Force, the doors..ect...:munky2::supz::supz:

Man, there are a ton of them. My taste runs from progressive to metal to electric jazz, and even some country, but my favorite, growing up and now, would have to be Rush, followed closely by Yes.

Choices, choices, choices. I'd have to use the stranded on a desert island scenario. It's a tough choice, my favorite album has to be Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, hands down some of the best musicians ever put together. Rush is a tie though. Moving Pictures, Hemispheres, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows........

One of my favorite new bands is Dream Theater. Another band that is distinguished by their drummer, Mike Portnoy.

-
Back