Favorite toys as a child ?

-
I liked my slot cars and trains, but LOVED my CCM Mustang bike! It was a 5 speed and I thought I owned the world when I rode it. I would love to find another one!

I loved the Matchbox series of miniature metal cars, Bill Ding wooden men which gone together like Lincoln logs, yet at nine years old I started reading custom car magazines my older brother brought home and at fourteen after fours years of practicing became the hand pinstriper which took me to where I am today...

I've always been a transportation hound. Tonka trucks, Buddy L, Match Box cars, AMT, Revell, Monogram, MPC, models, model railroading, slot cars, RC cars and planes, Bicycles, etc.

So many favorites. Tinkertoys, Lincoln Logs, Hot wheels, Spiro-graph, Verti-bird.
The first one I remember loving when I was little was a Kaleidiscope with real glass inside.

for me it was Aurora slot cars ( thunder jets and AFX )......I would spend hours racing them. I still have them, and have collected aprox. 300 of them. I loved electric trains as well. I still have those too. I'v been thinkin about finding a place in my shop to set up a small layout just so I can be a kid again....LOL!
Hell, I'd come over and play with ya!
I loved mine as a kid, and building model cars. The kits were $2.99 at Bob's Hobbies on Wood Ave in Bridgeport. They had a TON of them to choose from. Spray paint was $1.00 a can, and brush paint was .15 a bottle.
Those were the days, no dumb-*** video games, damned cell phones and other nonsense. We were out on our bikes every day in the summer (and weekends during school) from daybreak till it got dark. We ate whatever we wanted and never got fat because we were always active. As long as I was home at 10 of 5 for dinner everything was cool!
Nothing like being a kid back in the late 60's/early 70's.

George

slot cars and all the toys I could break. thats how they allways ended up.miss being a kid.

Lego's... I used to love to build stuff out of legos, especially cars. I would build a car then smash it into a wall or jump it off the dining room table just to watch it smash into a 1000 peices, then I would put it back together and do it all over again.

Lionel Trains
Lego
Erector Sets
Capsella
Kenner Girders and Panels
Hutch TrickStar BMX bike

Santa must have visited you before heading out to me in SoCal. Got my first Lionel set when I was 3 years old - my dad was an Engineer for Union Pacific Railroad so maybe it was for me in name only. Still have it to this day.
Almost forgot about the Kenner Girders and Panels, must have built thousands of different buildings with it back then.
Other favorites were American (not Lincoln) Logs. American logs were square and "rough hewn", Lincoln Logs were round and smooth. Buildings and forts were much more stable with the square logs.
Later, model planes, ships and then cars. And 1/32 scale Strombecker slot cars.
Outside stuff was, of course, bicycles and skateboards. My first skateboard was a short length of 2x4 with half a roller skate nailed to the bottom of each end.
Good times growing up in SoCal!

Living in Cinti as a kid and home to Kenner where my mother worked, I had Star Wars toys before I even knew what Star Wars was. It seemed like she was always bringing new stuff home for us to play with. Some of it stayed, some of it vanished after about a week or two. I still have a lot of the Star Wars men, none of the space ships any more. Mom pitched that stuff when I went into the Army.
I remember having the original Alien figure, tons of play dough, 6 Million $ Man and the Kenstruct sets.
We also played an awful lot of "war" with other kids in the neighborhood. But I have to say,my favorite was my bike. It gave me freedom, and now my cars have replaced the bike for the same reason.

A BSA Bantam and the girl on the farm below us.

AFX ho slot cars,matchbox and hot wheels,cox airplanes/cars,model car kits,GI Joe. But my all time favorites were my bicycles i was not allowed to have any toys that i could get hurt playing with [i was an only child my parents lost a baby 10 years prior to me being born] i was allowed to have all the afore mentioned stuff after 9-10 years old prior to that i was limited to matchbox/hotwheels cars. I was given two bikes which i tore up and dad said no more so i started doing odd jobs to make money and swore i would never walk again with in 18 months i had aquired enough parts to build/purchase 23 bicycles,i had a love for Schwinns, everything i owned was a Schwinn i had many 26" mailman bikes [we called them bombers] the rest were 20" stingray bikes my pride and joys were my orange crate,cotton picker,apple crate which i rarely rode [wish i still had them today].

I'm in a sharing mood so... If you look at post #22 you'll see my reference to this toy I got from Santa when I was 4&1/2 years old.
Below are pics of what wife gave me for Christmas at 56&1/2. Also a pic of what it looked like a couple weeks later.
All of its vacuum mettalized parts will come out of the soak tank tomorrow.
Wife paid too much for it and I'll spend even more restoring it. My plan is to give a grandson his own key to it next Christmas, oversee his play time with it, designate it his in my will.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!pMFC4W5OmDnBQw8ykctz!~~60_57.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 135
  • $T2eC16Z,!)UE9s3wDdZ+BQw80RMiLQ~~60_57.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 123
  • $(KGrHqF,!o8FC1324CWeBQw8y7Uiwg~~60_57.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 119
  • my Playmobile project 01-06-13 resize.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 115
I couldnt get enough of SST's smash up Derby!

Attachments

• smashup4.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 103
Mine was our pellet guns . Used to hunt squirrel's , rats at the dump . and played war ( WAR.Stopped when one of our friends actually got shot in the eye, by his brother and lost his eye-site ) Old saying is true its always fun until some one loses an eye . But I will always remember those times that were just a little less politically correct and fun times were not sitting playing video games in front of a screen .

Here's one of favorites from "way back"......used to blow out the matches my father would use to light his cigs......we wanted him to quit. :D

whamo-air-blaster.jpg

And then...."Six Finger" It shot little plastic bee bee things and looked like an extra finger! Cooool!

$(KGrHqJHJEUFBf,U,vuGBQm!,Ktu-Q~~60_35.JPG

sixfinger.jpg

Showing my age. I had a schwinn bike called an orange krate. Loved that bike. Made the mistake of giving it to a girlfriends brother once got a car. That bike is worth serious money now. Easy come easy go.

I remember getting this for Christmas one year. It shot these hard plastic bullets that really hurt if you were on the receiving end. In fact, my father took them away because he thought I'd shoot hole through the paneling in the rec room.

Attachments

• johnnysevencatalog.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 95
Knight rider car with micheal knight. Push the license plate and car would talk. Still have it.. Also tonkas, GI joes.. I used To make some awesome forts... Lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMddte6yD2w"]Chuck Berry Live 1972 ~ My Ding-a-Ling - YouTube[/ame]

ninja-turtles-toy.jpg

^ Those....

Gund%20-%20Land%20Before%20Time.jpg

^ Also this; Land Before Time Littlefoot... Carried him EVERYWHERE!!!

nintendo-nes-box.jpg

^ And especially this one......

- CK

A shovel... Seriously, when I was little I would dig massive craters in the back yard.

And a Suzuki 125 Quadrunner, I had a massive trail made through the forest behind the house.

Had a Sega Genesis too, but only had a couple games for it. Streets of Rage, and Sonic The Hedgehog. Didn't play it very much when I was little.

-
Back