Favorite toys as a child ?

-
Yea, we had all the car toys too. Hot Wheels, SSP's, Sizzlers, Smash up Derby, Pit Change Charger, Shutdown... but the one toy we seemed to like the best was our "Tot Rods"!!

We also loved our bikes, and would spend all day riding them, fixing them, riding them, altering them, and oh yes, riding them. I remember cutting the forks off of junk bikes and pounding them onto the ends of your favorite bike and making choppers out of it. Of course when you popped a wheelie you risked shooting your creation off into the sunset and having to land with no front wheel!!! Ah, the good old days!!! Geof

Erector set, I loved that thing and would spend hours just using my imagination building stuff.

These are my close seconds:
SST's
Slot cars (Aurora AFX IIRC)
BB guns
Cap guns of all sorts
Big steel tonka trucks
Hot wheels
The Evil Kneivel motorcyle toy first mentioned, man they must've made a few million of those, lol.
Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots (Friend had one).

Then there are two toys I don't know the name of:
One came with all kinds of parts and you'd build a car with a "welder". The welder was hand held battery operated drill that you would put a welding rod (special low temp plastic rod) on and it would spin at high speed and melt the plastic parts together. I spent days and days playing with that thing trying to get the perfect bead/weld.

Another I didn't have but a friend did. They were cars the size of a hot wheels with a tiny rechargeable battery in them. You would plug them into a "gas pump" (had regular batteries in it and the hose was a small cable with a 1/8" mini plug on the end) that would charge the car's battery for maybe 15 seconds of high speed action. :) I was facinated to end with those little cars and how they worked.

Yea, we had all the car toys too. Hot Wheels, SSP's, Sizzlers, Smash up Derby, Pit Change Charger, Shutdown... but the one toy we seemed to like the best was our "Tot Rods"!!

We also loved our bikes, and would spend all day riding them, fixing them, riding them, altering them, and oh yes, riding them. I remember cutting the forks off of junk bikes and pounding them onto the ends of your favorite bike and making choppers out of it. Of course when you popped a wheelie you risked shooting your creation off into the sunset and having to land with no front wheel!!! Ah, the good old days!!! Geof

Yep, did the chopper bikes too! Using all the wrong tools, it's amazing I didn't get a concusion, lol. :violent1:

I had a sandbox gowing up and it was always fun to play in threre building roads for my hotwheels and tonka trucks. I had the most fun flooding it with water from the hose and watching everything get buried, then dig it out with my old Tonka Michagan Loader :glasses7:

I begged and begged and begged some more till I got this.[ame="http://youtu.be/OJHO8AP8Gx0"]302 Found[/ame] And i,m still repairing wrecks.Did I mention I hounded my parents and begged for this?

I was the only person in my family that was really into cars. I loved to watch whatever racing they had on Wide World of Sports. I always read Hot Rod and Car Craft in our elementary school library, like over and over again. I drew a lot of cars. My grandmother always said I could name all the cars on the road as soon as I could talk.

But yeah, I had a Big Wheel of course, a huge box of Lego, Tonka trucks, Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, Aurora A/FX and a ton of Hot Wheels with all the associated tracks, loops and ramps. I loved running the tracks down the stairs to a ramp where I'd crash the cars into blocks.

I can remember flipping baseball cards a lot. One of my friends had Pong in the late 70s, that was cool. I think we got Atari around 1980 maybe? There was a short time where some of us played Dungeons and Dragons but it always seemed to end poorly. Kinda boring anyway, not my thing. Never really had an interest in action figures, models or guns. My dad tried to get my brother and I into electric trains but that never got off the ground.

Before BMX became real popular (late 70s) me and a few kids in my area transformed our banana seat bikes into BMX style bikes - knobby tires, BMX seats and handle bars, etc. Formative hot rodding.

Really though, after I was about 6 or 7 I was hardly inside at all. There were a lot of kids my age in our hood, we were outside from morning until dark playing sports, playing in the dirt, the woods, the street, our yards - we rode bikes, lit stuff on fire, played pond hockey etc. I seriously can not remember being inside at all, even if it was raining or cold.

I was very jealous though when my neighbors got dirtbikes and snowmobiles when we were around 11 or 12. I was really into motocross at the time, I don't think my parents realized the depth of my interest. They got me a tricked out BMX bike instead but I really didn't care about it that much, was like a consolation prize. Became a punker/skateboarder soon afterwards and never looked back.

Funny too, first thing I did when I moved out on my own and had enough money to do what I wanted was buy an old car I could wrench on. My interest in hands on mechanical stuff from my childhood never left me.

Me too! Realized that it you flipped a couple pair upside down you could go 6 pairs long before scraping the crank.

I loved my Maerklin slot racers...
When I left home for university I thought this was only for little boys and comped it to the son of our neighbours.
I met him a few years ago, he told me he has still the slot track, the original package and everything, and that someone offered him 5.000 € for it...

P1080433-1024x616.jpg

Scratch built by our Dad (the little guy in the Corvette is HemiDenny).

Racer-1.jpg

Racer-2.jpg

Racer-3.jpg

Influences (below): Here is me and younger brother Denny

RacerJD2.jpg

Here is Denny on the cover of Mopar Muscle

115504ff.jpg

and Denny talking to Don Garlits and Ted Jones

garlits-nats2.jpg

Some friends had these cool stick shifters toys. The "engine" noise did get louder as you shifted through the gears, then it launched a wheelie. Later versions had a plastic T-shift handle with"Hurst" logo. Talk about a gateway drug...

Here's a vintage TV spot

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b08oiOAm9kA"]Hasbro Stick Shifters Drag Racers Commercial 1972 - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• stick.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 86
OH HELL I damn near forgot about the alltime favorite family toy!!!!

After WWII, a person could buy all sorts of useful, semi--useful, and just plain useless junk "military surplus." Some of these ads were outright LIES

One such lie was the Crocker-Wheeler training top turret my Gramps bought, was supposed to have "motors and pumps." Right. Two motors, maybe three, all 28V DC
Nevertheless, this thing was set up in two different barn/ shops over the years, and before Dad sold it to some of the warbird collectors for 500 bucks in the late '80s, it was mounted on an old well cover in Dad's backyard "for the Grandkids."
reminded me of when I was a kid in Harrison Hot Springs, BC (early '70s)- one day a tank showed up in town- yep, an army tank. Can't remember if it was in a playground or where exactly, but we used to be able to play in it (and the cranks to turn the turret and everything were still there, the hatches, everything).
When it comes to toys, it doesn't get much better for a little boy than that:D.

-
Back