Feather duster value

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
30 mpg on a /6? where do i get one of these at?lol

I've posted about it on here several times. Three years ago I replaced the clutch in my Feather Duster. It had 288 thousand (and some change) miles on it at the time. It is completely original down to the OSAC valve. Original carburetor (special to the model), distributor (curved specifically for this model), original 7.5" 2.9 ratio rear axle, original everything. Taking it on a trip and checking the fuel mileage closely over several tanks of fuel following the clutch replacement, it averaged 31.4 miles per gallon. In city back and forth to work mileage (just under five miles each way) everyday, it still gets 19 to 21 MPG, and that is after I replaced the 14" ralleys and 215R75s with 15 X 7 cop car wheels carrying 235/60 TAs two years ago. It is just about to roll over 300K. Somewhere rolling around in a shoe box in my home office I probably still have the fuel receipts for the trip with the odometer readings and fuel mileage computed on them.

Guys, we probably got Ashburg to tune out. I think we should chill. Who know where is he car wise. If you are an A body nut you know all about a Feather Duster or a Dart Lite, but to him it might be just the car that he is looking at.

Value, who knows, too many variables to tell with the little info. But if it's got anything going for it, someone of FABO or SL-6 would buy it because it is a Feather. It's a rare A Body and you can't say that about many A's.

Mileage. I bought my Feather a few years ago for $200. It needed: Paint, glass, fender, grill, carpet, etc. I kept it a few years, horse traded for parts and had around $750 when I got it back on the road. It had over 100K miles on the engine. Mine had a steel trunk lid but everything else was there. I drove it from VA to NC a couple of weekends straight and with the timing right on the edge, tires pumped up and keeping at the speed limit it got an honest 32 mpg. 20+ back and forth to work.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth!

Attachments

• FeatherDuster.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 165
Thank you 340Plot and twofosho. That is exactly the answer I was looking for. Perfect... And thank you too mopar410 for the extremely valid point. And thank you hyper pak for sticking up.. I understand you guys know about cars, but hes right, you have no idea my situation. Not trying to be an *** or anything but replies like that will definately get a newcomer like me to turn away from these forums.. All that put aside though, i got a lot of real good info from all you guys and that was cool. I got what I needed and more lol. No hard feelings.

:violent1:

well ash, what do you think it is worth?

Well I was able to take a closer look at it a little while ago. The previous owner had all the rusted floor pans and under body rust taken care of/replaced. He also had the whole underside coated with something(not sure what). I saw a whole list of receipts of the work done and it seemed legit. There are a few small rust spots but very minimal(that i can tell). The interior is in ok condition, bench seats, no ac, manual steering and brakes. The roof needs to be reupholstered. Other than that, interior seems ok. The engine has cold starting problems and cuts out every now and then unless suffeciently "warmed" up. The guy said there was build up in the gas tank and it needs to be flushed or replaced and he said that may be why its cutting out. idk. It definately needs a carb rebuild. The engine seems to be running ok other than what i stated. Paint-wise it needs a new paint job and there are a few dents and dings and scratches in the body. Thats what i know as of now. What do ya think? Im thinking around 2000ish considering it is a "Feather" duster.

no!, you tell us what you think it is worth, or what he is asking, then the pro's can take it from there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmfao

this is what my 500 got it like i said it had just been sitting for several years i didnt set the price i heard he had the car far sale for a few years went and checked it out and the rest is history
tn_full_DSC01005JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

Well I was able to take a closer look at it a little while ago. The previous owner had all the rusted floor pans and under body rust taken care of/replaced. He also had the whole underside coated with something(not sure what). I saw a whole list of receipts of the work done and it seemed legit. There are a few small rust spots but very minimal(that i can tell). The interior is in ok condition, bench seats, no ac, manual steering and brakes. The roof needs to be reupholstered. Other than that, interior seems ok. The engine has cold starting problems and cuts out every now and then unless suffeciently "warmed" up. The guy said there was build up in the gas tank and it needs to be flushed or replaced and he said that may be why its cutting out. idk. It definately needs a carb rebuild. The engine seems to be running ok other than what i stated. Paint-wise it needs a new paint job and there are a few dents and dings and scratches in the body. Thats what i know as of now. What do ya think? Im thinking around 2000ish considering it is a "Feather" duster.

That could hide plenty of issues. I had a buddy bring a van back from Saint Augustine and it was held together with rhino bed liner. Under the rhino bed liner the rust had rust. He just needed something that had room to pack his stuff in that would make the trip. It did what he needed and it now resides in a cow pasture.

what size engine does it have? if it is an original 225/3 speed manual car, then i would say 12-1500. if it is an original 318 or 360/4 speed then it could be upwards of 25-3000 or better, which means it could have an 8 3/4, big bolt pattern and disc brakes as well. we need to know what drivetrain it has. drivetrain dictates all the heavier duty equipment and "the good stuff" .look through the windshield, bottom drivers side,you will see the VIN number, write it down and post it OR remember the 5th digit, and post it, that will tell us so much more. the question really is ,what is it worth to you?

No such animal as a 8 3/4 was factory installed in a 1976 A body.

what size engine does it have? if it is an original 225/3 speed manual car, then i would say 12-1500. if it is an original 318 or 360/4 speed then it could be upwards of 25-3000 or better, which means it could have an 8 3/4, big bolt pattern and disc brakes as well. we need to know what drivetrain it has. drivetrain dictates all the heavier duty equipment and "the good stuff" .look through the windshield, bottom drivers side,you will see the VIN number, write it down and post it OR remember the 5th digit, and post it, that will tell us so much more. the question really is ,what is it worth to you?

No 8 3/4 past '73. Only engine in a feather duster/dart lite was 225 with either 833 od or 904 auto.

i stand corrected, i wasnt sure of the cut off year. i didnt know you could not get a v8 in those either lol

I just learned something new too. I didn't know that there was no V8 in them either. I am not in to the 73 up cars because the bumpers hurt the looks to much. 72 is the last year for the 8 3/4 in the A-bodies.

I just learned something new too. I didn't know that there was no V8 in them either. I am not in to the 73 up cars because the bumpers hurt the looks to much. 72 is the last year for the 8 3/4 in the A-bodies.
lol i tried taking the bumper gaurds off ,it didnt help much. i really wanted an earlier duster but had to settle...so did all feather dusters and dart lites come with a small bolt pattern as well or had they changed them all to BBP by 76 ?

Dart Lite

In response to increased interest in fuel economy, Dodge offered the "Dart Lite" fuel economy package which weighed at least 150 lb (68 kg) less than the ordinary Dart Sport.[33] The 225 Slant Six was the only available engine, equipped with an aluminum intake manifold for the first time since 1960 and a specially calibrated carburetor and distributor. Bumper reinforcement brackets were aluminum instead of steel, while the hood and trunk lid bracing and inner panels were also aluminum. The Slant Six engine block had already been modified for reduced weight in 1975; in the middle of 1976 production its crankshaft was changed from forged steel to lighter cast iron. The high-flow exhaust system included a dual-biscuit catalytic converter, a 2¼" headpipe, and the muffler used on V8 models. The Dart Lite was equipped with a 2.94:1 rear axle rather than the customary 3.21:1 ratio when the car was ordered with a three- or four-speed manual transmission. The A833OD overdrive 4-speed manual transmission housing was made of aluminum. Like all other Darts, the Dart Lites with automatic transmission came with a 2.76:1 rear axle as standard equipment.[33] The Dart Lite with manual transmission was rated by the EPA at 36 mpg (6.5 l/100km) in highway driving. The Plymouth version was the Feather Duster.

Thats some serious mileage for the day.

Weight of all aluminum components on the four speed Feather Duster were listed as saving a total of 187lbs. Feather Duster lightweight equipment probably only got the weight down to that of the 70-72 models with roughly equal equipment.

When I finally get around to pulling mine apart for it's makeover, I plan to weigh all of the Feather Duster only parts to know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back