Fenderwells

-

THE STEVE

"part-time wheelman"
Reaction score
Going to start mocking the 440 up in my 72 duster as soon as my mounts come in. i have some hooker fenderwell headers im going to run on it. just curious as to get an idea on where i need to cut to make them fit. any body got big block fenderwell pics? post em` up please!!!

These are hooker headers in my Dart. Sorry about the rotation of the pic. Not sure how to rotate it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 483
Hmmm-try searching in the exhaust system threads, or you could also check out the tech threads at www.bigblockdart.com

There's a thread here in the BB section that's like dozens of pages long where people post their pictures of 440s in their engine bay...it can't be more than 2 or 3 pages back...

Well u aint jackin around or jokin..looks good...I'll remember that cutting along the dotted line next time thats some funny sh#t...........

well, i got the 440 in my car to mock it up and tried to put the fenderwell headers i got on it. so i started with the passenger side. i started with a small hole in the fenderwell te gradually made it bigger to fit the header through. using pics that i got off of this site i was able to get an idea of where i need to cut. i got the header slid into place on the passenger side with the engine in the car. the problem is, is that the header is physically too short to clear the body. the tubess coming off pf the flange look like they will work, may need to move one tube to clear the upper shock stud. but the tubes that go inside the fenderwell and extend under the car are not quit long and are causing the header to hit on the collector and make the entire header sit at an angle, preventing it from bolting to the engine. its about 3inches too short. ive made headers in the past for srteet rods and such and have no problem modifying these to fit. my question is, would these headers be for an earlier a-body? they look almost identical to other fenderwells i see on a-bodies of my same year. or could it be that i need to cut the support gusset plate that is directly under the firewall? thanks.

Yes. You have to cut that gusset under the car. Either remove it entirely, or cut a circle shape into it. Just remember that the circle has to be bigger than the header collector to allow for engine movement.

George

vbpgimage.php
This is what I used to do mine on my 1970 Dodge Dart .... hope it helps ... DTM

yes. You have to cut that gusset under the car. Either remove it entirely, or cut a circle shape into it. Just remember that the circle has to be bigger than the header collector to allow for engine movement.

George

x2

-
Back