Fiat/ chrysler o'boy here we go

-

couper 340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about replacing my 2005 dodge Dakota 2x4 with a new one
or a dodge caliber for my daily driver . When i look on dodges web i found out that they will no longer be making a mid size truck or a two wheel drive truck or small wagon . This make me very unhappy being that i have had a mopar from the 1970 to 2010 and still have three of them. I will not be able to replace my truck with a mopar truck .
I do not like any one telling me what i can and can not drive so i will have to buy my next truck from Ford . THANKS couper 340:wack:

I'm guessing that the storms washed every single used truck on the market out to sea where you live...Right?

And nobody is going to miss the Caliber except you.

So find a left over stock new truck, or buy a nice barely used truck. Really not difficult to do. And if you buy a new ranger, good luck with that electrical system...

I believe Ford stopped production of the Ranger as well. Guess you'll have to buy a Toyota.

Yup, the Ranger is dead. The Caliber was a dog that Dodge couldn't sell, it needed to go away.

The Jeep Patriot is just about as close as you can get to an inexpensive wagon and still wave the Mopar flag.

the dakota was dead before fiat take over, and the dakota/or a small size pick up will be back one day, and President of chrysler has expressed alot of inerest of bringing back a magnum\wagon. if your really upset the caliber is gone, there is PLENTY of them on the market beacuse they are garbage!

The Caliber's main problem is that it should have gotten 30MPG, not 20.

It was comfortable, and very practical.

I too sorely miss the Dakota, although I agree it kept moving further and futher away from the original intent and winning formula.

My work supplied truck is a 2005 last gen Dak, and it is too tall ride height to be as practical as the previous generations, and is much more cramped inide than my 2000 personal Dakota. It also feels very cheap inside.

IMO, the closest thing currently is a nissan frointier.
There is a chance that a Dakota replacement may actually be a nissan frontier.
Not reall happy about that either.

Fiat has all sorts of odd international "medium" truck platforms including some FWD!

I havta say that I think dropping the mid size trucks is a mistake. It may be from "skewed data" due to the present economy, I don't know. But in this part of the country, there is one HELL of a lot of Rangers and the equivalent Mazdas.

I too would buy a Toy or other Jap pickup before I'd buy a F***ing Fiat

My work supplied truck is a 2005 last gen Dak, and it is too tall ride height to be as practical as the previous generations, and is much more cramped inide than my 2000 personal Dakota. It also feels very cheap inside.

My 2006 Dakota has, without a doubt, a much cheaper interior than my 97 Dakota had. I've already torn up two seat covers in it. I have had better luck with some of the other components, though. Overall I really like the truck and its design.

Maybe it will come back one day.

Ok,....here goes,... you anti-Caliber morons got my Irish up,...You haters really need to to lighten up and do your homework,..( you might learn something, but I doubt It)...

My 08 Caliber gets 35 mpg@ 70 mpg all day long...., and Its paid for with 65,000 TROUBLE FREE miles,...but Its a stick and I know most american's are far too lazy to drive a stick, and Chrysler,..(er,..I mean Fiat) as well as most manufactures will only build womens transmissions for 3 main reasons,..1) Federal fuel mileage standards,...It used to be that a manuals got better mileage, not so anymore,...2)there is always a price mark-up for slush pumps as well as more repair work for technicians,...Caliber's (when they were being built) were 1000 bucks cheaper when equipped with a stick,...3) Its cheaper to build a car when they're all equipped the same way, hence you get cars for the sheeple,....

If you bought a CVT equipped Caliber, It's your own damn fault,....there is more than enough info out here that explains how much of a piece of crap it is/was,...Fact, 90% of all slush pumps never see 200 thou,...I know cause I see em in the shop constantly....I make a lot of money on em,...thanks folks.

(btw, all of my rides still have the original clutch in em,...including the dakota with a mere 241 thou on the clock),...

but I digress,...

For the last 2 years I've been firing off Emails to Mother Mopar, tryin to get a truck equipped the way I want It,...I buy a new vehicle from Chrysler every 5 to 8 years, I keep em till the wheels fall off, which means I don't give a whit about resale values. I figure for 30 large (plus), it should have (and not have) what I want in it. What I get back is a standard corporate response that reads...

"Thank you for your correspondence,The options your looking for are not available, and we have no plan's for those options,We will take your suggestions into consideration. Please visit your local dealership for availability and options,...blah,blah, yada, yada...In other words, join the sheeple's and drive what we're making...

So Couper340,...I feel yer pain,...lookin like my next truck's gonna be a Silverado, only cause Its got almost everything I want, And I can get It without most of all the whiz bang crap that any RESPONSIBLE and SAFE driver should not require anyhow...and the next car will be a Cadi, cause I can at least get a stick with that ,...

Drive your car, don't be driven by It...

i love my 01 ram 2500 with nv4500 5.9 gas much truck than the gas engine with the auto i would buya newer truck but cant find what i want been trying to find a 05-09 ram 2500 hemi powered with a six speed manual truck but not many built and you cant even buy a new truck ( ram 2500 ) with a gas and manul truck just sucks i'am stuck with the crowd

LOL,...And the problem with that is?????,...I bought to be a cheap, dependable practical Daily Driver,...Didn't buy It for asthetics. And besides, It's a damn sight better lookin than all those jelly bean shaped turds out there today,...including the dog fart,...er,..i mean dodge dart,...

Just a damn shame that after driving pentastars for 40 years, I prolly won't buy another new one...

I don't really understand the hate for the Caliber either. I bought a slightly wrecked '07 to fix and flip but I like having it around. I've been using it for a go to work vehicle and parts hauler and it consistently gets over 30 mpg, and I always get worse mileage than anyone else seems to. It's versatile, too, I haul something with it quite often. The rear seats recline as well as fold forward, and the passenger front seat folds forward, too, so you can haul something pretty long in it. Mine has the 1.8 motor and a 5 speed, too.

I've owned several Dakotas and really liked them. I bought 2 of them new and kept them for many years. However after buying my 2010 full size I don't really miss them. The only real advantage was they were a little easier to get in (2wd) and easier to park. My 390 hp! full size 4wd with 3:92 gears gets just as good of gas mileage and has much more power and can tow a trailer easier and safer. My truck has the towing package, protection group (skid plates), hemi, 4wd, 3:92 gears with limited slip, and some package that gices it a decent radio with cd, blah, blah, and cruise control. It doesn't have power windows or locks. All out the door for less than $23k. Not every truck is a $30k+ loaded 4 door, but you won't find them on every lot.

I've always been a Dodge guy but thought I would expand my horizons when I bought the 2010. I actually drove a Ford, and looked at the Silverados. The Ford was a bit nicer (still had manual windows and locks) but was almost $3k more. The 4.6 3 valve motor had quite a bit less hp, too. The Silverados could be bought about $2k cheaper but they had the small motor and weren't as heavy duty as the Dodge. I was comparing truck by price. My requirements were V-8, r/c, short bed, 4wd, with a towing package. The low gears and limited slip my truck came with were a welcome bonus.

Jaimus, why the Silverado? You can't buy them with a manual trans, either.
Dallas
P.S. Pic of mine sitting on the lot where I bought it.

Attachments

• 2010 Shop truck (Small).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 341
I think it a mistake to get rid of the Dakota. I love mine and have owned a couple. Perfect size for what I need, because I don't need a full size or a compact. Mine has leather and is loaded and very comfortable. Many guys knock the 4.7, but mine has over 120k and runs like a champ. My only complaint is the gas mileage, but I live close to work.

Attachments

• Truck2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 327
I would love to find a replacement for my current truck, but there is nothing made that will compare to it. IT is a 1986 Toyota 1ton pick up. Small truck, used for chasing parts, dump runs, and towing my race car. Has 4 cyl 5 sp trans. Gets 25 mpg empty, 23 with stuff in the bed, and 18-19 towing my race car, at a gross weight of 9,500 lbs to 9,900 lbs. Not a ball of fire, but does the job for me. Tows at about 65mph, 3,000-5,000 miles per year. Bought new and now has 375,000 miles. Never had the head off. Only engine work was timing chain sets. Getting a little long in the tooth, and power is not what it used to be.

I just bought a used 08 dakota,crew,4x4,4.7 big horn and I like it. 302hp and can knock down 19 mpg at 75mph. Interior is cheap but overall it is a solid truck. I'm planning to put a solid axle in the front eventually since this thing has a lot of potential if you get rid of the car in it.

I don't really understand the hate for the Caliber either. I bought a slightly wrecked '07 to fix and flip but I like having it around. I've been using it for a go to work vehicle and parts hauler and it consistently gets over 30 mpg, and I always get worse mileage than anyone else seems to. It's versatile, too, I haul something with it quite often. The rear seats recline as well as fold forward, and the passenger front seat folds forward, too, so you can haul something pretty long in it. Mine has the 1.8 motor and a 5 speed, too.

I've owned several Dakotas and really liked them. I bought 2 of them new and kept them for many years. However after buying my 2010 full size I don't really miss them. The only real advantage was they were a little easier to get in (2wd) and easier to park. My 390 hp! full size 4wd with 3:92 gears gets just as good of gas mileage and has much more power and can tow a trailer easier and safer. My truck has the towing package, protection group (skid plates), hemi, 4wd, 3:92 gears with limited slip, and some package that gices it a decent radio with cd, blah, blah, and cruise control. It doesn't have power windows or locks. All out the door for less than $23k. Not every truck is a $30k+ loaded 4 door, but you won't find them on every lot.

I've always been a Dodge guy but thought I would expand my horizons when I bought the 2010. I actually drove a Ford, and looked at the Silverados. The Ford was a bit nicer (still had manual windows and locks) but was almost $3k more. The 4.6 3 valve motor had quite a bit less hp, too. The Silverados could be bought about $2k cheaper but they had the small motor and weren't as heavy duty as the Dodge. I was comparing truck by price. My requirements were V-8, r/c, short bed, 4wd, with a towing package. The low gears and limited slip my truck came with were a welcome bonus.

Jaimus, why the Silverado? You can't buy them with a manual trans, either.
Dallas
P.S. Pic of mine sitting on the lot where I bought it.

I like the Siverado cause Its cheaper than a ford, And you can get it with way less eloctronic wizardry than dodge,...easier to get parts for em,..hell, my cats have chivy parts layin around somewhere...

I agree the Ram vs Dakota is not a power or MPG thing, it is a size thing.

I have a friend that is a parts manager for a Chrysler dealer. His attitude has always been that a Dakota is for people who can't afford a Ram :(

I am in love with the size. It is TONS easier to park and drive, and it's about the same size as a B body (17ft long), and only slightly heavier. From inside the cab, it reminds me of driving a Duster. I think it has just the right ammount of "car" in it!

Chrysler has an unfortunate history of creating new market segments, and then either exiting the market when competitors finally enter (leaving the competitors to reap the benefits), or failing to keep thier products competitive in that same segment.

Small trucks are being dropped from lots of the major companies. Market is too saturated. Everyone who wants one can get one without buying one new.

The Caliber was technically a pretty ok car (aside from the CVT)...folks who own them seem to like them...and they'd better since they are difficult to sell. The model was broadly disliked and it made people finally appreciate how good the Neon was.

Personally, if I was looking for a small wagon from Ma Mopar, I see nothing wrong with a used PT Cruiser. ...and if I could live without the wagon shaped body, I'd be all over a Header Orange 2013 Dart.

Good luck!

-
Back