Finally did something semi-productive

-

ThogtheCaveman

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to doing something...here are the results of my scouring :thumbup:

IMG_1365 (Small).JPG

IMG_1366 (Small).JPG

IMG_1367 (Small).JPG

IMG_1368 (Small).JPG

IMG_1369 (Small).JPG

So what I got here was a 340!!!!!! I wish, ok it's actually a 318 with the 340 aircleaner, holley 650, x-heads, 904, and the driveshaft, along with pulleys, wires, all sorts of goodies, for 1,000 bux!!! :tongue9: I sure hope it's a good deal. It came out of a '68 fastback barracuda, everything was running good and everything, so hopefully I can transplant it into my dart soon. Ok, my only real concern is this, according to the mechanic dude that pulled it out, there was no kickdown linkage for the 904. My understanding was that you needed kickdown linkage for it to work properly. I did drive around in the car and it shifted and everything.....so I am kind of stumped...

seems like a pretty good deal. freshen that baby up.

Yea, you'll kill the trans if you don't have a kick down. Some people tie the kick down have way and just drive it that way, but I don't think that is still the way to go. I believe that lokar makes a cable kick down.

Nice find. As far as the kickdown goes Lokar kickdown cables work great, easy to install, and are a clean appearance. Something to consider, I am sold on Lokar. You would also need to buy the bracket that mounts on the rear carb stud.......

I purchased mine from Summit:
LOK-KD-2904HT Kick down cable $54, LOK-SRK-4000 Kickdown Bracket & Spring $20, and I also added a throttle cable LOK-TC-1000U $28 to make it a complete and clean installation.

thanks for the info guys. Hey, I want to put in an aftermarket floor shifter, do I have to cut a hole in my trans tunnel, is there a spot that is marked from the factory? I have a column shift right now.

It will be cable driven wont it ??
So locate the shifter where you like it and screw here down
With just a hole for your cable to go to the trans .

There is more advice around here so give them time to get to you.

are you kidding? there is a guy on craigslist asking 2800 for a 340 that has been sitting in a garage for 18 years, so you got a great deal!! makes my mouth water..

Man, get some paint and some masking tape, give it a quick wash and quick spray paint, then put that baby in and drive that car! Get the Lokar kickdown cable or get the metal linkage stuff from a donor car or ebay or a wrecking yard or whatever. Keep the car as a column shift for now and enjoy the car, then when you have the parts rounded up and know what you want to do, convert it to floor shift if you want...that's my two cents.

kickdown, this is the device that tells the trans to downshift when you floor it....i just remembered mine on the cuda was diconnected...:eek: how hard is this to adjust(the cable type)

-
Back