Finally got it on the rotisserie

-

azaustin

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Finally got my ‘65 Dart GoGo clone on the rotisserie. I purchased the rotisserie seven years ago thinking I’d be using it within a year. The hardest part of mounting it was making that adaptors and trying to mount so it wouldn’t be top or bottom heavy. I was also trying to mount the car so it would just clear the lower rotisserie legs and allow it to rotate 360 degrees. It does. I tested it yesterday as you can see in the pictures. A little more effort is required on the gear handle as it goes over, but, overall, it feels pretty good. I’m going put the car back on the lift for a little so I can fine tune a few things a little bit, then back to the rotisserie for a while. I was amazed at how much blast media came out after it was upside down.

Thanks to everyone for all their help and advice getting me this far.

IMG_9923.jpeg

IMG_9914.jpeg

IMG_9918.jpeg

IMG_9909.jpeg

I had about the same style rotisserie. I added Larger pneumatic tires so I could push it easily outside and inside to get over a 1" step. I left the hard tires on in case I got a flat.

5.jpg

I had about the same style rotisserie. I added Larger pneumatic tires so I could push it easily outside and inside to get over a 1" step. I left the hard tires on in case I got a flat.

View attachment 1716216896
You just addressed one of my concerns. The car rolled fine on the adaptors and wheels I welded up until I was ready for the rotisserie. Those wheels came from HF and worked well. I had thought about buying some pneumatic wheels from the same place, but hadn’t thought about leaving the original wheels on. I may try that. I was afraid I might have trouble getting a jack under the rotisserie frame if a tire went flat. Thanks for the suggestion and the photo. It’s a good one.

Yes, in the pic I welded angle iron (all I had at the time) to extended it out farther for stability.

Finally got my ‘65 Dart GoGo clone on the rotisserie. I purchased the rotisserie seven years ago thinking I’d be using it within a year. The hardest part of mounting it was making that adaptors and trying to mount so it wouldn’t be top or bottom heavy. I was also trying to mount the car so it would just clear the lower rotisserie legs and allow it to rotate 360 degrees. It does. I tested it yesterday as you can see in the pictures. A little more effort is required on the gear handle as it goes over, but, overall, it feels pretty good. I’m going put the car back on the lift for a little so I can fine tune a few things a little bit, then back to the rotisserie for a while. I was amazed at how much blast media came out after it was upside down.

Thanks to everyone for all their help and advice getting me this far.

View attachment 1716216886

View attachment 1716216887

View attachment 1716216888

View attachment 1716216889
Looks great! Is it a lot of rust on the body?

Not now, I hope, Ulf. A better question might be, “was there any metal on the body?” As of now, not counting the hood, fenders, doors, and trunk lid (replaced by a previous owner) I have replaced the floor pans, trunk floor pan and drop offs, shock mount, most of the wheel wells, and all external metal except for a six inch section on the sail panel below the original lead seam. And the roof and cowl. That doesn’t count the work I did on the replacement quarter panels, and a half-section of the driver’s side rear sub-frame that was rusted through. That also includes the trunk surround and rear package tray and cross panel that the rear bumper mounts to. I may have missed something, but I think that’s most of it.

Not now, I hope, Ulf. A better question might be, “was there any metal on the body?” As of now, not counting the hood, fenders, doors, and trunk lid (replaced by a previous owner) I have replaced the floor pans, trunk floor pan and drop offs, shock mount, most of the wheel wells, and all external metal except for a six inch section on the sail panel below the original lead seam. And the roof and cowl. That doesn’t count the work I did on the replacement quarter panels, and a half-section of the driver’s side rear sub-frame that was rusted through. That also includes the trunk surround and rear package tray and cross panel that the rear bumper mounts to. I may have missed something, but I think that’s most of it.
What a great job you have performed so far. Whats next?

Thanks, Ulf. The quality of my work is strictly amateur, especially compared to some of the cars I’ve seen FABO, like yours. I’m hoping to end up with a reasonably nice looking car that runs and drives well. Right now, I’m going to go back and do all the finish welding that needs to be done, and probably a little lead work on the sail panel and front cowl. Once all that is done, I will begin the real body work, priming and filling etc. Not sure if I’ll paint it or have it done. Along the way I’ll start doing the mechanical work, which is what I’m more comfortable with. In the middle of all that, I want to make my convertible a little nicer. I have a complete new interior from Legendary, a rebuilt transmission, and a correctly dated core engine that I may swap in. Lots to do. I just take it one step at a time. If I had known how bad this car was, I would have bought another one. On the other hand, there weren’t very many 1965 Dart GoGo’s or even regular GT’s that were speced out like my high school car, with the 235hp Charger and a 4-speed. It’s an original yellow/black vinyl top/ black interior car. I couldn’t find any trace of the rally stripes, but those and things like the Cragar wheels were all options in building a GoGo, so who knows? It’s also an LA car. Thanks for your interest. Your builds, information and support, have helped keep me going.

-
Back