Finally got the Dart to the track

-

Plym1948

Reaction score
I've been steady on this Dart Sport(with duster front sheetmetal) for almost a year and got to the track yesterday for its maiden runs,1st run 11.09@121 (spun a bit and let off before the traps), 2nd run 10.96@124 (slight spin), 3rd 10.72@124 . I was only expecting high to mid 11s first time out, Its an iron headed 440 with trw flat tops, Built from Don Dulmage's book "Old Reliable" I'll try to post a you tube link. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN4LKWYksC4"]YouTube - 10.wmv[/ame]

What all is done to motor?

I've been steady on this Dart Sport(with duster front sheetmetal) for almost a year and got to the track yesterday for its maiden runs,1st run 11.09@121 (spun a bit and let off before the traps), 2nd run 10.96@124 (slight spin), 3rd 10.72@124 . I was only expecting high to mid 11s first time out, Its an iron headed 440 with trw flat tops, Built from Don Dulmage's book "Old Reliable" I'll try to post a you tube link. YouTube - 10.wmv

Stock forged crank,stock LY rods with ARP rod bolts, Trw speed pro
L2355f pistons balanced rotating assy, decked block so pistons are .000 in the hole, a few oil gallery mods, 452 casting heads bowl ported with mp templates gasket matched ports,2.14 & 1.81 valves, milled head to 80cc, Lunati solid lift cam .518 lift, mechanical advance distributor, Edelbrock TM7 intake, 950hp holley, Its nothing extravagant, just a the combo that works well togather.

Stock forged crank,stock LY rods with ARP rod bolts, Trw speed pro
L2355f pistons balanced rotating assy, decked block so pistons are .000 in the hole, a few oil gallery mods, 452 casting heads bowl ported with mp templates gasket matched ports,2.14 & 1.81 valves, milled head to 80cc, Lunati solid lift cam .518 lift, mechanical advance distributor, Edelbrock TM7 intake, 950hp holley, Its nothing extravagant, just a the combo that works well togather.

I congradulate you for running so well with little to nothing, you obviously did some homework or got lucky, your combo is kicking ***!!8):cheers:

I say don't change anything, it'll end up running 10.6s i'm sure, then throw a 150 shot at it & click off a 9 second pass @ over 130 mph, that'll shut anybody up once you tell them how mild the combo is. That car is leaving real good, not much seperation & getting the bite, thats how its down. Again congrats!!

Wow You really "darted past" that car in the other lane, looked like a Vette. Very nice run, what do you have in rear, looks like you have some big slicks.

Isn't that COOL?? Going faster than you were hoping to? Doesn't get much better than that!

I recall me screwing together a TRW flat top, 906 head 440 and taking it out the fist time...saying all the way to the track, "this pig will NEVER go in the 10's @ 3200 lbs." 10.85 @ 124 first lap. I stated the clocks were broke...LOL! 10.83 @ 125 the next. Hmmmm...

Never TOUCHED the motor, but by tuning the chassis, updating the converter and freshening the trans it finally went a best of 10.38 @ 129 and I just LOVED to tell anyone who asked about my hacked (valve notches) TRW's, and my 906 heads. I was called a liar more than once!

Don is a pretty smart guy...wise to follow his advice. Made the most out of a combo with Cubic sense rather than Cubic dollars!

Back on point, what's the duration at .050 of that cam?

Congrats on your maiden voyage...GREAT JOB! It will get quicker, just keep rubbing on it!

Stroker,the rear is an 8.75 backbraced with 4.57s on a spool,adjustable ladderbar setup,14X32 slicks,
Doug, Duration is 268 @ .050, And I must agree Don seems to be a very sharp man,and a great teacher through his book,he explains everything very well, heck, even I understood it and I"m definately NOT the brightest bolt in the box

Wow, great job! What do you figure the compression to be? I can't believe you are making that kind of power. Best I could run with a much bigger cam than you have is 119mph (but I know my combo is off). I would be tickled to run the numbers you do.

Fantastic time. Next time your there, I'll come down to help whatever I can and watch you run. Latest issue of Hemmings 'Muscle Machines' January had an article about the F.A.S.T series that run here at Cecil County Dragway. A 429SJC Mach 1 set a new record of 9.84. Looks like a great new series of stock pretty much stock cars.
Anyway great run.

GregH

Fantastic time. Next time your there, I'll come down to help whatever I can.

GregH

Don't think he needs much help running those times with whats there. JK

Mopar-Man, i'm shure his compressions right around 10.1, i ran 10.8s @ 124 with a similar combo, that was with horrible 1.61/1.62 60fts. That was with 4.11s & 9.73 compression with a small solid, 750dp & iron heads, its not hard to do, just do your homework & don't drag on alot of weight.

what kind of shocks and springs u run i run calverrt 90/10 drag shocks on front and a 150lb pound spring on the back with comp engineering shocks

-
Back