Finals tomorrow...help me study

-

She Devil

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Tomorrow and Friday are my finals for my undercar class. Need quizzing on steering & suspension........
Remember.... this isn't stump the expert time, I'm just a student :)

Ok. I'm gonna try and stump you a little bit. What is this and what does it go on?

lever-arm-shocks.jpg

Ok there are two main types of rear end (solid axle) suspension what types of springs do they use (hint: Think Mopar and Midsize GM). Bonus the type of rear suspension is use on high performance cars (hint: Think Corvette, Ferrai, Lambo, New Camero and Challenger).

I know this!! shoot...... is it called a shock link? its a combo unit, almost like a control arm/shock in one right? we went over that briefly one day

I know this!! shoot...... is it called a shock link? its a combo unit, almost like a control arm/shock in one right? we went over that briefly one day

Good job. It's a hydraulic lever shock. It is the upper control arm and shock in one. They are found on older british sports cars. They suck.

Ok there are two main types of rear end (solid axle) suspension what types of springs do they use (hint: Think Mopar and Midsize GM). Bonus the type of rear suspension is use on high performance cars (hint: Think Corvette, Ferrai, Lambo, New Camero and Challenger).

solid axle would use a SLA suspension or a strut/SLA, they'd use leaf spring or coil springs......

And the bonus question? whats that kind of suspension called?

Im not sure what to suggest but how about caster? which angle provides better stability? Neg or Pos? How about Camber? which angle is best for even tire wear? if outside of tire is worn what is it refered to as? Do you know why tow in is prefered on rear driven vehicals? and why tow out is prefered on front wheel drive vehicals? How bout advantages of a rack and pinion vs link type suspensions, front steer and rear steer front ends? ok was i suppose to give you the answeres? or you wanting like a quiz?

Hey this should be like Billy Madison and she has to take a piece of clothing off if she gets it right....or wrong=P~

The rear suspension setup on Corvettes, Ferrais, Lambos, (New) Camaro and Challenger

Here's a tough one.....

What type of steering and suspension is on flintstone mobile????

Ya never know, this might be on the finals...

flintstones-car.jpg

Im not sure what to suggest but how about caster? which angle provides better stability? Neg or Pos? How about Camber? which angle is best for even tire wear? if outside of tire is worn what is it refered to as? Do you know why tow in is prefered on rear driven vehicals? and why tow out is prefered on front wheel drive vehicals? How bout advantages of a rack and pinion vs link type suspensions, front steer and rear steer front ends? ok was i suppose to give you the answeres? or you wanting like a quiz?

caster- the angle of steering axis positive caster is more stable
camber-is the angle of tilt of the tire in or out at the top, would be set per spec
toe is the most critical angle for tire wear
if the outer edge is worn its from excess positive camber or incorrect SAI
tow in is preferred for rwd vehicles because to counteract the live axle in the rear pushing the front toe out.....
tow out for fwd to counteract the live axle pushing the toe in
rack & pinion takes less room and is not as confined to its mounting location/angle
don't know the last one :/

Heres one i remembered being asked, how would you set up a front end alignment for a crowned road? as most roads are crowned for water drainage.uuuummmm how about tire pressures? what are wear pattern indications of a low tire or a too much air in a tire? or tire wear patterns? such as feathering, inside or outside excessively worn or tire out of round? i need to do some more thinking

front steer and rear steer was refered to older cars but means the steering linkage is located in front of the crossmember or behind the crossmember

-
Back