Finding engine numbers info

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
I'm positive that the engine that came from the factory in my '72 Duster is not the original, as the block casting date was 10-69 and all the accessories (carb, water pump, radiator, intake) are all matching the engine casting date. How would I go about finding what engine and accessories came with the car using the VIN?

I'm positive that the engine that came from the factory in my '72 Duster is not the original, as the block casting date was 10-69 and all the accessories (carb, water pump, radiator, intake) are all matching the engine casting date. How would I go about finding what engine and accessories came with the car using the VIN?
5th digit if the vin is the engine code.
C=225
G=318
H=340

C=225
G=318
H=340
I'll check. I'm relatively sure it was a 340 car but I have no info on how or why the original 340 would have been removed and replaced with an earlier engine. Not that it matters that much, but it does make it a non numbers-matching car.

I'll check. I'm relatively sure it was a 340 car but I have no info on how or why the original 340 would have been removed and replaced with an earlier engine. Not that it matters that much, but it does make it a non numbers-matching car.

There are several scenarios as to why and how. Bottom line is the original is gone and there is a different one that replaced it. Could be a warranty engine, junk yard replacement, an rebuilt-er replacement when the original was tired or windowed. Remember these were cheap cars and not worth spit until 15 years ago. Stock to stock the 69 is a better 340 than the 72. Either are good to rebuild. I've even heard of people pulling motors and selling cars and the buyer had an engine they put in it, drove it and sold it. Screwing with a car was much easier back then.

There are several scenarios as to why and how. Bottom line is the original is gone and there is a different one that replaced it. Could be a warranty engine, junk yard replacement, an rebuilt-er replacement when the original was tired or windowed. Remember these were cheap cars and not worth spit until 15 years ago. Stock to stock the 69 is a better 340 than the 72. Either are good to rebuild. I've even heard of people pulling motors and selling cars and the buyer had an engine they put in it, drove it and sold it. Screwing with a car was much easier back then.
FWIW the replacement engine was in the car when I bought it in '79...which would have made the original engine only 7 years old (or less). My guess is the original owner blew it up.

Did you check the VIN number on the pad above the oil pan on the passenger side? It is 3/4" x 3" machined into the block with 8 digits in it. That will tell you for sure what car the engine came out of. Earlier cast engines were put in later cars, especially after 1970. I am in Northern Illinois and can help you out if you need it.

Check the numbers under the drivers cyl head on the front of the block if you want to know when the engine was built.

The OP is wondering what engine came in the car originally.

I read it as he feels the engine in the car is not the correct engine for the car but is what he feel the engine that came in the car from the factory.

That being said, we need to see the VIN on the block and the stampings on the front.

Alan

Just read the post info. (Finding engine numbers info)

Guess I should have read more, Thanks for the kick Mike! :lol:

So is your VIN VH29H2B, we don't need the last 6...

Last edited:
C=225
G=318
H=340
I read it as he feels the engine in the car is not the correct engine for the car but is what he feel the engine that came in the car from the factory.

That being said, we need to see the VIN on the block and the stampings on the front.

Alan
Yep

So I have a 1970 340 then. More compression and horse power. Kim

To clarify:
The block that came with the car has a casting date of 10-69. The block I am prepping to install in the car is out of my '72 that I totaled. What I'm trying to determine is what came in the car from the factory originally. I'll try to get the info off the VIN and fender tag for you guys. Thanks for all the help!

Exactly!
The stampings on the block that came with the car are: 2780980340-6. It was cast in 10 of 69

I also have the complete info from the fender tag, as follows:
EN2
N23 N42 R11 V68 V88
GA4 I B51 C56 J52
GA4 C6X9 TX9 616 E37558
E55 D21 VS29 H2B 504(***)

Last edited:
Exactly!
The stampings on the block that came with the car are: 2780980340-6. It was cast in 10 of 69

I also have the complete info from the fender tag, as follows:
EN2
N23 N42 R11 V68 V88
GA4 I B51 C56 J52
GA4 C6X9 TX9 616 E37558
E55 D21 VS29 H2B 504(***)

So it is a factory 72 340 Duster but the date code of the block really does not matter, the VIN number stamped on the passenger side of the block above the oil pan rail and the assembly date on the drivers side front right under where the head bolts has the information we need to determine if it is the original block or not...

Last edited:
So it is a factory 73 340 Duster but the date code of the block really does not matter, the VIN number stamped on the passenger side of the block above the oil pan rail and the assembly date on the drivers side front right under where the head bolts has the information we need to determine if it is the original block or not...
How did you come up with '73?
The VIN of the block is listed in post #18 above. Unless there's another one that I missed?

How did you come up with '73?
The VIN of the block is listed in post #18 above. Unless there's another one that I missed?

My bad, finger are too fat, it is a 72. The VIN on the block is NOT listed in post 18, that is the casting number on the drivers side of the block. The VIN number is stamped on the PASSENGER side of the block on a 3/4" x 3" ground pad just above the oil pan rail. Here is an example...

VIN location on block.jpg

My bad, finger are too fat, it is a 72. The VIN on the block is NOT listed in post 18, that is the casting number on the drivers side of the block. The VIN number is stamped on the PASSENGER side of the block on a 3/4" x 3" ground pad just above the oil pan rail...
Roger that. I'll find it tomorrow and post it up. Thanks a million!

-
Back