Finicky Fuel Gauge

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Don't remember if the fuel gauge ever worked in the '65 Valiant Signet convertible (purchased about 13 years ago). I had high hopes when I replaced the dash circuit board six months ago, but only got the needle to move when I grounded the wire back at the gas tank (the needle rose quickly to full mark). Otherwise, it has been stuck on empty, even when recently filled to the top. The temperature gauge seems to work now, but either the engine runs cooler than I am accustomed to or the needle just does not want to rise high enough like it should.

Anyway, today made a round trip downtown (about 20 miles total up and back). On the return trip, much to my amazement, I found the needle on the 1/4 full mark! And this very morning I was making plans to yank out the fuel pickup (and dreading the task).

Will have to wait and see what happens from here on out.

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Make sure the tank is properly grounded- either with the factory-style jumper strap from sender to fuel line, or with a proper ground strap from the tank itself to the frame/body.

These things can be finicky. I still have intermittent problems that decide to show up every couple of months and then go away on their own right when I get around to investigating.

I have similar issue with all my gauges . Work one minute then inop 2 minutes later . And I had my cluster rebuilt , new repro wiring , new sending unit , new temp and oil sensors and a solid state voltage limiter !
I have another cluster now . I will bench test everything prior to install and inspect all wiring .

-
Back