First day at the track

-

63SplitWindow

Reaction score
Finally got the 73 Dart Sport to the track for a test and tune night. Wasn't sure what to expect ET wise since I don't really know much about this motor....was in the car when purchased.
It's an original H code car but that motor is long gone and there is a 318 block with 360 heads in there now. I have a 360 block on the stand I plan to build when I get a plan together.
Anyway, made 4 passes.....all in the 12.55 to 12.44 @ 104 to 108 mph range.....slow but consistent. With 28" drag radials and 4:56 gears, I'm running out of motor at about 1000 ft mark.....car just stops pulling at about 6200 rpm. So my questions are:
1) What tire size/gear are you small block guys running for 1/4 mile passes? I'm thinking of going to 4:30 or 4:10
2) I have a 742 case in the rear...do all the rears use the same axle splines?
2) With a flat tappet cam and hydraulic lifters, what kind of max RPM before they float?
All in all, I had a fun night but as usual, I want to go faster......11's?

20230207_133903.jpg

Finally got the 73 Dart Sport to the track for a test and tune night. Wasn't sure what to expect ET wise since I don't really know much about this motor....was in the car when purchased.
It's an original H code car but that motor is long gone and there is a 318 block with 360 heads in there now. I have a 360 block on the stand I plan to build when I get a plan together.
Anyway, made 4 passes.....all in the 12.55 to 12.44 @ 104 to 108 mph range.....slow but consistent. With 28" drag radials and 4:56 gears, I'm running out of motor at about 1000 ft mark.....car just stops pulling at about 6200 rpm. So my questions are:
1) What tire size/gear are you small block guys running for 1/4 mile passes? I'm thinking of going to 4:30 or 4:10
2) I have a 742 case in the rear...do all the rears use the same axle splines?
2) With a flat tappet cam and hydraulic lifters, what kind of max RPM before they float?
All in all, I had a fun night but as usual, I want to go faster......11's?

View attachment 1716082773
If you are running out of motor imo you have too much gear in the car , as you said I would try a 4.10 , also what converter do you have ? what are your 60 ft. times ? mid 12s is pretty good for a 318.

4500 stall and 1.8 for '60 time.....very consistent no matter how I launched
Thats not bad but 60 ft could be better what size converter ? just a little info years ago I broke my " good motor " 340 and put in a 70 318 it went 13.90s with a small cam , put on 360 heads and it went 13.20s , went from a 10 inch converter to an 8 inch and it went 12.60s with a 3.91 gear in my 68 Dart

Don’t change the gear, change the cam. Skip the hydraulic lifters and use solid lifters.

If it can run 108 MPH it’s capable of low 12’s so you need to work on the chassis.

I like it! I agree with jpar. That's great for a 318! I'd leave it right where it is. Why? Because breakage will be dang near nonexistent. That's a fun place to be!

I had a blast running low 12’s many years ago. I would work on consistency and go have fun. That’s a wide window if no changes were made.

That's cookin for a 318, have fun and enjoy it. Dial it in and you'll have a killer bracket car

I would change to a 4.10 gear (the 4.30 is not enough ratio change to be worthwhile), and move to a solid cam. And mid 12s is damn good. 1.8s 60s could be better. Dead hooking? Maybe real slicks?
Edit: All stock 8 3/4s with any housing use 30 spline axles , except for 35 spline spools of course

Thats not bad but 60 ft could be better what size converter ? just a little info years ago I broke my " good motor " 340 and put in a 70 318 it went 13.90s with a small cam , put on 360 heads and it went 13.20s , went from a 10 inch converter to an 8 inch and it went 12.60s with a 3.91 gear in my 68 Dart
It's a PTC 9" converter.....4500 stall

I would change to a 4.10 gear (the 4.30 is not enough ratio change to be worthwhile), and move to a solid cam. And mid 12s is damn good. 1.8s 60s could be better. Dead hooking? Maybe real slicks?
Edit: All stock 8 3/4s with any housing use 30 spline axles , except for 35 spline spools of course
Feels like it hooks real good with radials.
I guess I will pull the Strange axles just to make sure before I buy a new center section

Feels like it hooks real good with radials.
I guess I will pull the Strange axles just to make sure before I buy a new center section
And a solid lifter cam to go with them.
I do have a NOS Mopar solid lift cam still in the box I was going to use on the new motor.
it's .571 lift with 304 duration.....not a street cam for sure

I had a blast running low 12’s many years ago. I would work on consistency and go have fun. That’s a wide window if no changes were made.
Really? The temp dropped from 60 to 43 degrees that night......that and the first time behind the wheel in this car maybe factors.
I was really bad on the tree......was watching gauges more than I needed.....rookie learning curve

I'm leaning 4:10 after thinking about it.....4:30 is not much more than 4:56.
Not sure what pistons are in this motor so I will be staying away from nitrous......for now
Yes 4.10's should keep you from running out of breath for the end of the quarter mile....
With a little research you'll find that a hundred shot ain't going to hurt a Prius let alone a car with a little giddy up and go...
Of course that's all done right with timing correct fuel and correct safety implements like low pressure switch window switch wide open throttle switch it's got to be done right it's not just throw a bottle in the trunk...
With what you have probably just a little tweaking here and there and like others are saying working on consistency and being comfortable with your car is going to take you a long way. And a 12-4 is going to be in the top 20% of the guys at the test and tune anyways...
Remember there will always be somebody in life that's faster than you so be careful you're not chasing a Time other than a good time.. it will just drain your wallet and lose the fun of a good time...
Remember the vast majority of the hemi challengers and chargers out there are low 13 high 12 cars....

Run it as is. take it out, have fun with it, and play with it.
When its as fast as you can get it and your bored with the performance.............. Throw that sold cam it and have more fun!!!!

You have the gear and the converter to support that cam you already have.

All thought it will pull harder at the top end of the track, and have more MPH......It will run slower. Not a lot, but it will have a Higher/ slower ET.
Just something to think about.
EDIT: I'm talking about going to a 4:10 gear.

Congrats - those are some great times for your combo! Especially on the first time out! Keep at it and enjoy it - you'll be winning in no time.
As for gear and axle, I run a 4.10 and a 28" bias slick.

You are correct when I had my 408 stroker motor in I still had the 4.88s from my previous motor and they were too much resulting in too much stripe rpm , so I went to a 4.10 and my 60fts. remained the same and my stripe rpm was where I wanted them , I switched to a 4.30 and there was literally no difference in 60 ft. and only one or two difference in stripe rpm . I hurt the stroker motor and am back to my 367 still running the 4.30s I could use the 4.88s but the car is running and leaving fine 10.90 -11.00s best but I run on a throttle stop for 11.50s at 115 149-1.52 60ft.

8963048D-0D44-4693-B521-A353BC0C6802.jpeg

-
Back