First names makes it difficult for some of us to follow along

-

Robj

Reaction score
This is just meant as a comment and something to think about. Many of the people on this site, especially east off the Mississippi, know each other on a first name basis I guess from shows and the close proximity of the states. Often when I'm reading through a multipage thread that's very technical with many people offering input and then others responding to that input, those responses get directed back to the member by their first name. Pretty soon everybody is responding to others by first name. It makes it very difficult for us who don't know all you folks to follow a thread and match up who said what and who is responding to which comments when all we see beside those comments are their screen names.

It's kind of frustrating when there has been a number of solutions offered over several pages and then somebody writes something like, "That's solved the problem, Joe." I look back and see all the ideas but have no idea who Joe is. I could post and ask but when there's a number of people spread out over several pages it just gets to be too much trouble to figure out.

All you guys and gals are friends and that's fantastic because that's what it's all about. But maybe when it's a tech thread or something offering up solutions or ideas you can include their screen name in your reply so the rest of us can follow and learn too.

There I go sounding like the guy dropping a turd in the party punch bowl. I don't mean to be "that guy"- I just want to be able to follow along when I'm having the same issue and find a solution that works.

A lot of it just comes from time on the board. I have met several members in several different states, but most of the first name basis stuff is just from being on here.

Maybe folks oughta be a little less shy and just put their first name or nickname in their signature.

This reminds me of a thread that Rani started a while back about using your screen name as your name here! Sometimes I will get a PM and the only name I can respond to them is by their screen name because that's all that's given! I personally like to address people by their first names simply because that's proper ediquette! That's why I always include my name at the end of almost every post! I will often refer to myself as "cosgig" here, just because that's what most people recognize, but I will also include my name at the end of the post! Geof

There's a thread in the Politics forum Frankie started with a lot of peoples' first names to go along with their screen names. That helps too.

so true, as stated you get to know the regulars pretty quick. I have all my FABO people in my phone under their screen names lol

some people don't like their real names in public view of the internet.

A recognizable nickname is the way to go for some people. something unique to a website and part of their screen name so it cant be mistaken.

That is why I am RANIDART70 on FABO, FEBO, FBBO and everywhere else so I cant be mistaken with someone else

I really need to start a list. I am terrible remembering names and I feel I know many of you here but can't place the name. tmm (Mike)

I don't mean to be "that guy"- .

A very good way around this is that when someone addresses someone about something specific, quote enough of that person's post so the rest of us know who is referring to whom, or whatever that grammatical expression is

When I first started posting here, other then the names I picked up lurking, i actually kept a list on paper every time I saw someone's real name so I could address them that way. After spending quite a bit of time here, it gets easier to pick up the more active members names.

Obviously I decided to just put mine in my screen name. I questioned the "oldman" part for a while being in my mid 50's, but 2+ years later, and how I feel at this point, it fits...:D

I'm bad with names... Can I just call you a--hole??? LOL!

I will answer to it also.... :cheers:

No, really, I do know some members, but most of them I don't. I should know more of them than I do, but I'm bad with names.... I forget too easy. After many repeats, it does finally sink in.... :banghead:

A lot of it just comes from time on the board. I have met several members in several different states, but most of the first name basis stuff is just from being on here.

Maybe folks oughta be a little less shy and just put their first name or nickname in their signature.

I agree!! I know a fair number of ppls first names on here and have only met 1 fabo member in person... The "regulars" are easier to remember... It really helps when people have their first name in their signature. I was even thinking about changing my user name to a nickname I've had since I was probably 3 but couldn't figure out how to...

Put your name in your sig. And call it a day.
Being "East" of the river has nothing to do with whom I have met on this sight, which would be zero in the last 10 or so years. Now the guy down the block and the fella around the corner are a different story.

I am like a few others in that my FABO nickname is the same as my real life nickname. I go by Jack, or Coyote Jack and my real name is John which very few people use. I have even been called A$$hole and they got a response from me. LOL Just don't call me late for supper.

Jack

You know what I've begin to notice is even more of a pain?? I'm in a few different Mopar groups on Facebook and I'll see somebody post some thing and mention FABO and of course I can see their real name on Facebook but have NO idea who they are cause their FABO username isn't on there!! Lol

Yep I have to agree with the above posts about it just being time spent on the boards. I have not been here all that long, but already know a few people by there names. I dont have a sig yet, but perhaps I should do that. Hell my name (Ramie) is so weird that either you remember it or you dont! LOL

You don't have to call me Johnson....

[ame]http://youtu.be/qoYsfbq3vMc[/ame]

You need to see a vet Rob. So he can pull that small dead animal out of your rear. lol

A very good way around this is that when someone addresses someone about something specific, quote enough of that person's post so the rest of us know who is referring to whom, or whatever that grammatical expression is

Right here is the answer to the op's question. Super quick and easy. Names might be confusing because there could be several named John, Joe, Rob and etc... posting on the same thread. A simple quote of the solution post with the "Joe, that did it" solves the entire problem.

Right here is the answer to the op's question. Super quick and easy. Names might be confusing because there could be several named John, Joe, Rob and etc... posting on the same thread. A simple quote of the solution post with the "Joe, that did it" solves the entire problem.

But then you have to remember who Joe is. :poke: :D

But then you have to remember who Joe is. :poke: :D

Example "Bruce, that fixed it."

Now your screen name Bad Sport and Bruce appears in the same post so Bruce is Bad Sport.

In 15 minutes I will forget who Bruce is anyway.:banghead::banghead: When I go back to the thread a year later, I will still know what fixed it.

-
Back