First time I saw one of these

-

norshorblufish

By the Big Water
Reaction score
Went to a small car show saw my first Australian Valiant.

IMG_1889.jpeg

IMG_1891.jpeg
IMG_1890.jpeg
IMG_1895.jpeg

It is an Aussie valiant the same as mine basically sent over as a kit from Canada, the Mexicana refers to the extended sail panels at the rear window, it was only available here for a limited number of cars I think about 150 to 200 cars

IMG_8212.jpeg

I figured one one of our Aussie members would give some insight.
Thanks!

I also found this as to why the Mexicana name.
ValiantVG coupes, with extended rear sail panel sweeping back from the rear roof line. Called Mexicana, it followed something that was a trend in Latin America at the time and just 200 of this model are said to have been produced.

Hey!!! So you were at the show in Carlton, huh? Barry (Bazza) sent me a few “wish you were here” pictures, and he said he and his wife had a great time.

Really glad to see him getting his car out and about, makes my heart glad!

Thank you for posting pictures of his car! That will make his day, I’m sure!

I figured one one of our Aussie members would give some insight.
Thanks!

I also found this as to why the Mexicana name.
ValiantVG coupes, with extended rear sail panel sweeping back from the rear roof line. Called Mexicana, it followed something that was a trend in Latin America at the time and just 200 of this model are said to have been produced.
It’s also the only Mexicana here in the States, as far as we can tell. Both Bazza and I have contacted NUMEROUS people about it, and every one of them have told us that they haven’t seen, or heard of, another one around here.

Funny story: When I first started working on the car last summer I called an importer/exporter guy out in CA to learn more about it, and hopefully find a source for parts. One of the first things he asked was, “How did you get this number?”

After I explained that I got it from someone here on FABO, and that I wouldn’t give it out to anyone else, I started telling him about the car. I got about two sentences into it when he asked, “Is this that mythical yellow VG Mexicana that pops-up every now and then somewhere out in the Midwest like a ghost?”

So I sent him pictures of it from my garage…..

And the rest is history, I guess.

Check out my intro/first post here for the whole sheebang!

Last edited:
Hey!!! So you were at the show in Carlton, huh? Barry (Bazza) sent me a few “wish you were here” pictures, and he said he and his wife had a great time.

Really glad to see him getting his car out and about, makes my heart glad!

Thank you for posting pictures of his car! That will make his day, I’m sure!
We almost didn't go weatherman said it was going to be in the 90's and humid. (yuk!)
Been refinishing some kitchen cabinets. Doing the drawer faces in the garage it was too hot even with the doors and windows open. Told my wife lets go I need a break. No complaints she likes car shows.
Glad we went and got to see the car!

We almost didn't go weatherman said it was going to be in the 90's and humid. (yuk!)
Been refinishing some kitchen cabinets. Doing the drawer faces in the garage it was too hot even with the doors and windows open. Told my wife lets go I need a break. No complaints she likes car shows.
Glad we went and got to see the car!
Yeah, hot and humid here as well.

Did you get a chance to chat with Bazza about the car? Great guy, and he LOVES talking about it. He’s still a little hard to understand, but he has a LOT of funny stories about driving it in NZ and OZ, and he was all smiles at MITP chatting it up with people!

It is an Aussie valiant the same as mine basically sent over as a kit from Canada, the Mexicana refers to the extended sail panels at the rear window, it was only available here for a limited number of cars I think about 150 to 200 cars

View attachment 1716282068
@peedee

I see your Valiant has both the splash shield on the fuel filler, as well as the emblem on the C-pillar. Bazza removed the emblems from his VG when he had the top redone 20+ years ago (although he did save them), but looking at pictures of his car from Day One I don't think his VG ever had that splash shield. Was that an option, do you know?

And perhaps more importantly, do you know if they are still available?

'Cuz his car could really use one.

Nice car, by the way! :thumbsup:

-
Back