first time k frame swap. need help !

-

indie_cg

Reaction score
Im swapping my 74 duster k frame from the /6 to a v8 and i have ran into a problem.I cant get the 4 bolts that go into the frame rails to line up. Pretty much everything else is bolted up and tight. I need some serious help lol im a total nube.

Those should have been the first 4 bolts installed. I can imagine the strut rod bushings or other holding the k away.

Look it over and determine what is the problem. Could be that just pulling the upper arm bolts will let it move in your favor.

Make sure you move the K frame around as you tighten the bolts down. They have special shoulders on them that need to be seated properly in order to remain tight. I forget what the torque spec is but they should be torqued down.

ugh! Still having issues could somebody please give me a step by step on swapping these things so i know im not just doing something retarded. I dont mean to be a pain guys im sorry.

did u bolt k member in with the 4 bolts b4 anything else if you did it should have pretty much dropped right in place

Now im having trouble just getting the frame to slide up on the two metal rods that are connected to the tops of the lower control arms. The torsion bars keep making the top of the control arms jump up against the frame rails. My dad helped me last time i put it on by standing on the torsion bars and prying them away from the frame rails with a crowbar but i dont really know if that was the right thing to do. I think i need a step by step to cut out the guess work.

I second that, remove the torsion bars first, makes it a lot easier to get the k-frame to fit right. It sure beats using a crowbar and having somebody jumping on them. Make sure the bushings are good on the torsion bars while your at it.

Those should have been the first 4 bolts installed. I can imagine the strut rod bushings or other holding the k away.

did u bolt k member in with the 4 bolts b4 anything else if you did it should have pretty much dropped right in place

Now im having trouble just getting the frame to slide up on the two metal rods that are connected to the tops of the lower control arms. The torsion bars keep making the top of the control arms jump up against the frame rails. My dad helped me last time i put it on by standing on the torsion bars and prying them away from the frame rails with a crowbar but i dont really know if that was the right thing to do. I think i need a step by step to cut out the guess work.

From reading your last post you didn't follow what two other members told you to do first. Bolt the k member up with the 4 bolts first and make sure its seated right since the bolts have a tapered shoulder. Don't try to connect the strut rods or torsion bars at the same time (or before) you bolt up the k member. A step by step won't help if you don't follow step 1 first. I'm not trying to be an A-hole, I just want you to realize that you haven't really done what you've been told twice to do. Once you do that everything will start falling into place. It's one of those things that when you do it in the right sequence you'll think to yourself "crap is that all I had to do!!!!" I "been there dun that" with many things and you'll find that the guys on this site can give you great advice.....just read the responses carefully and follow accordingly. Good luck with your build!

From reading your last post you didn't follow what two other members told you to do first. Bolt the k member up with the 4 bolts first and make sure its seated right since the bolts have a tapered shoulder. Don't try to connect the strut rods or torsion bars at the same time (or before) you bolt up the k member. A step by step won't help if you don't follow step 1 first. I'm not trying to be an A-hole, I just want you to realize that you haven't really done what you've been told twice to do. Once you do that everything will start falling into place. It's one of those things that when you do it in the right sequence you'll think to yourself "crap is that all I had to do!!!!" I "been there dun that" with many things and you'll find that the guys on this site can give you great advice.....just read the responses carefully and follow accordingly. Good luck with your build!

Ok hawaiiduster. I just put the 4 bolts in the k member. Now how am i supposed to get the 2 rods to the torsion bars to just slide in ?

Guessing you're referring to the strut rods, they go in before the torsions go into the lower control arms. If you don't have enough play to get them in, make sure the lower control arm pins are loosened. Once the strut rods are in, install the torsion bars.

sorry I am referring to the "shafts" that connect the lower control arms to the K frame my chilton manual calls them "shafts" not rods sorry. But as far as i can tell there is no way to put the shafts into the frame without having slid the frame onto them before installing the 4 frame bolts.

Make sure the torsion bars are removed (or at least slid back), loosen the lower control arm pivot pins and then you should have enough play to get them in.

Pull the lower control arms off, and have new shaft bushings installed, needed anyhow. Now install k; large torque needed on it and steering box, look it up. Don't tighten front lca nuts until it is on the ground, 130 ft #.

Forgot; take off the uca's, check bushings, have new pressed in (if you want to leave them in, you have to remove their snubbers, in order to have a bud stand on the lca, as you slide the torsion bar in (the are mated, sides and front or rear, if not new).

And have a shop do the bushings, almost impossible without knowledge and correct equipment; it ain't an old mustang.

Then when replacing the idler, save the old one. On the 70 Duster and 69 Charger we just did-took 3 tries on each, to find one that was correct.

Ok i think i have all the info i need now to finish my k frame installation. Thanks go out to everyone who chimed in info it was very much appreciated.

I'm a newbie just hanging out and checking out different threads and it is great how you all help each other out.

-
Back