First time pulling the motor

-

BubbaCuda

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but i will ask it any way's... Can the motor and Transmission be pulled and installed as one unit in my 65 Cuda or do i need to separate prior to pulling and installing. I was told you have to pull and install separately.

HKeller

I would pull them at a whole unit, much quicker, and I think easier

Just remember it is way easyer if you take off the hood and also get one of those load levelers.

You need alot more height/lift with the crane when pulling them together to clear the core support, but still easier than pulling separately.......

OH yea! I have to agree with evryone here. Remove the hood and grab yourself a engine tilter. Remove the engine tranny as a unit in one shot.

Take out the rad. & A/C condensor if so equiped and everyting off the front of the engine. Water pump as well. The extra inchs help alot.

Just whatch what your doing, be safe, use your head, think and look twice and have a buddy to help speed things along.

Lastly, enjoy!

Take off the fan and don't smash your fingers between the oilpan and the core support. I can't even remember how many times I have smushed my fingers doing that.

The stock 273 automatic is coming out of the car. Going back into the car is a stroked 360 with an automatic and TTI headers

I put motor and tranny(4 speed)in as one,headders are a pain in the %$&# but that,s why we love what we do!!Good Luck and keep the curseing down the neighbours will hear.HaHa!!!

o yea, dont' forget to take the dist. out before you start, it will surely get smashed on the firewall.

yep as one unit youshould go very slow with some help and make sure you have a good floor jack handy some times you can jack up the front of the car if the tail hits if ned be use all options available br carefull and slow check for pinching at the fire wall and tail end of tranny slowww..this can be real fun or real shi....y good luck on your vah.

Great question. I'm going to pull my first engine and tranny this weekend too.

(Man I wish it was Saturday!) I can't wait!

I agree with alof the above!I also like to make it were instead of having to yank the engine puller around give yourself enough room to roll the car out from under the motor instead.Hate to see a tranny go through a windshield.

And..........almost forgot.

You can flatten the tires for a little extra room if needed.

Also...Having an extra slip yoke helps keep it from getting messy.Or a plug.

And if you don't have an extra yoke you can take a ziploc bag put it over the end of the tranny and ductape the hell out of it.

I pulled my 273 separately, left the automatic inside the car. It wasn't easy. Finally finished putting the motor back in today, it was harder still!! The worst part was trying to get the motor to mate up to the automatic. Shifting the motor around radially until the nose of the torque converter centered into the end of the crank was tough enough, but getting the two dowels at the end of the block to settle into the trans bellhousing was a real bear. It took me three afternoons to get it done.
The engine bay is so shallow, I thought I would have problems putting the two in together, hence the way that I did it. Best way would be to put the two in from the bottom with the K-member out if you're also re-doing the front suspension.

I have pulled them as a unit in my 74 Duster and 75 Dart.
I only had to take out the radiator, the hood, the flex fan, loosen the headers, loosen the motor mounts, any wiring attached to the engine, drop the driveshaft. and take off the tranny stuff.

This stuff is heavy, be safe!!!!

The most important step is this one.
And if you don't have an extra yoke you can take a ziploc bag put it over the end of the tranny and ductape the hell out of it.
:cheers:

They got a jig that mounts up to the front clip and allows you to raise the entire front with a cherry picker, if you remove the torsion bars , front shocks and steering coupler, you can remove the 4 3/4 bolts that secure the K and the entire engine cradle will come out the bottom. Do it once and youll be "hooked"

Done this two different ways. One was hooking the hoist to the hood latch support, the other was bolting a chain in using the sockets for the adjustable hood bumpers. I had a 4x2 dolly that would roll around with a fully assembled K-frame, engine, & transmission. I jacked the rear of the car up as far as my jack stands would reach. Jack stands placed under rear axle tube so car could rotate without slipping off. I took off carb so I wouldn't have to lift so high. Rather than simply disconnect the steering coupler, I pulled the steering column. I found coming in from the bottom much easier than going in the top.

Where can you buy this jig..

I just saw it online recently, I think "crazy 8" out of Perris, CA rings a bell but didnt come up on a web search. It is a 2 part kit, comes with an engine/trans/K dolley on wheels and the jig that mounts up to your front end. Simple design, that you just hook with your cherry picker, nice and low so you can get it over the engine dolley. Pick it up 53 inches, roll the motor under and lower onto the K bolt it up, lift and remove the dolly.

-
Back