First time replacing heads and weird gasket issue.

-

trigger_andy

Reaction score
Hey all. I’m replacing the heads on my 340 and it’s the first time for me. I’m following a book and the book indicated there is no wrong way to install a head gasket but I notice that looking down the front water jackets in the cylinder heads the new Felpro Gaskets seem to be blocking off the water pump? Is this normal?

I’ve torqued the heads down and got the Headers back on etc.

Thanks in advance. :)

DF6D9360-ABF8-48B7-BE14-B70C20B4B98E.jpeg

9C226175-6AAC-46C1-B3D4-E4F16BD8E8A3.jpeg

EEAF2A22-E3E3-4DD7-851D-6AA88A356C54.jpeg

The head gaskets direct the coolant to the correct passages in the heads for proper cooling. Which Felpro Head gaskets did you get? If you placed them on the alignment pins you are good.

Think you should have flipped them over, that hole should be open inside the port.

The head gaskets direct the coolant to the correct passages in the heads for proper cooling. Which Felpro Head gaskets did you get? If you placed them on the alignment pins you are good.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I bought a full gasket set from Summit. I bought it specifically for a 340, I cant remember the part number.

Think you should have flipped them over, that hole should be open inside the port.
Thanks for the reply. The Pins aligned and the book said there was no way to get these wrong. :/

As the Gaskets have some print on one side one is facing up and the other is facing down.

I'll be gutted if I have to rip it all down again. Just wondered if anyone has seen this before?

Honestly, i never really paid attention,i put them on whichever way works, but dont recall looking in a port to see if they are open or not.

Ok cheers guys. :) I'll leave as is then.

The only reason I noticed is I took a photo of the Head Gasket Tabs and asked a friend what they do with them and the flash highlighted the blue in the Jacket.

I thought the end with the extra hole went forward for the water crossover. Notice none on the other end?

Or am I losing it?

fel-8553pt_w.jpg

Its the book below.

Pg133 - HEAD GASKETS: Chrysler made gasket installation foolproof - the gaskets fit only one way. Consequently the gaskets will not be marked right and left or front and rear. Simply shift the gasket around until everything lines up.

This is verbatim out of my book, which is exactly like what you posted above.

Whats a FSM? Factory Service Manual?

Yes.

Pg133 - HEAD GASKETS: Chrysler made gasket installation foolproof - the gaskets fit only one way. Consequently the gaskets will not be marked right and left or front and rear. Simply shift the gasket around until everything lines up.

This is verbatim out of my book, which is exactly like what you posted above.

Yes.

I guess Im a retard then. :D I thought everything lined up. The Dowel Pins, Pistons :D and the bolt holes, I just missed the Water Jacket. So frustrating.

Thanks for the help.

When you put your intake back on I suggest using some none hardening thread sealant to keep oil from wicking up the threads and leaving oil on your intake.

Would Black RTV be ok? Never seen non hardening thread sealant Thanks for the heads up though. :)

See in your 2nd pic, there are dowels sticking up where the intake sits. At front of the block and the rear. Be careful of those. Make sure if you are putting a different intake on that you remove those OR make sure intake has hole for them.
Keep at it!

See in your 2nd pic, there are dowels sticking up where the intake sits. At front of the block and the rear. Be careful of those. Make sure if you are putting a different intake on that you remove those OR make sure intake has hole for them.
Keep at it!

Thanks for the heads-up.

The Intake is a Weiand Action Plus but it was already on before I removed it and the heads. I'll have a look regardless, thanks. :)

Yes just dbl chk that Weiand has dowel holes. Those dowels and aftermarket intake can be a pain to seal up.
Don't be shy on questions, hate to see you double spend on things you don't need to.
Cheers:thumbsup:

-
Back