Fixing the Front Wheel Hub...

-

Dodge72

Odd one out
Reaction score
I've been looking for a car to get me around for school and found another cheap 72 Dart 4-door. Looks like it's been taken care of and would do well as a get to school and back and to the occasional cars n coffee meet. (My other Dart I unfortunately have to rebuild the bottom end and I don't have time or money to ship it for school right now.) Thing is, the guy says the outer race spun on the driver's side front and "all it needs is a new hub". The fronts are the typical 9" drums. How difficult is it to replace a hub and drum? I'm not looking to do upgrades, this is as budget friendly to get it road worthy as it gets. Also might be looking for that assembly too for the right price if it's doable. Thank you!

Last edited:
If you can find a GOOD hub and drum, you just get good bearings in, packe em, put it on there

But if you have to swap the drum to a new hub, you need to cut the swedge (swage) off the wheel studs so you can remove the drum. You need a swedge cutter, Rusty has done it with a hole saw.

BRAKES15.jpg

"Poor man's swage cutter"

Poor Man's Swage Cutter

swage.jpg

I have a whole set up just removed from a 71 Duster. If you want the hub or anything else from it, just pay shipping from Florida.

That's a good picture in what you have to do, in the way of removing a hub from the brake drum.
That should be archived somewhere on this board for future reference.
I'm going to save it in my files in the computer.
Thank's for posting.
Jim V.
:thumbsup:

Thank you 67Dart273! Very informative and I'll definitely keep that in mind. Right now I'm not entirely sure how the drums are on this car, I'll be looking at this Thursday and checking them over. Probably easier to replace both drum and hubs but if the drums are in good shape then might be worth it to save them.

340doc, thanks for the offer. Sent you a PM!

I have a whole set up just removed from a 71 Duster. If you want the hub or anything else from it, just pay shipping from Florida.

This is an old post but do you still have your hub? Know if your hub would fit a 72 Swinger?

Reminds me of my 1969 Dart w/ 9" drums. Both hubs had the outer bearing cup spin in the hub to ruin it. Left side was on a cross-country trip ATL to CA, failed in N. Mississippi in 1986. A shop had a donor car in their rear junkyard and a highly-skilled welder who torch-cut the cup off the spindle it was heat-welded to. Right side failed 2 years later. Checked every junkyard in Atlanta I could get to via bus and no 9" drum cars, only 10". Had to drive back to job in TN with the cup loose and found one there. The 9" hubs use smaller bearings (SET1 outer I recall). To remove the hub, I just threw the drum down in an old abandoned asphalt parking lot until the hub fell out. Might have had a replacement drum with swedges were already cut. I didn't even know about them at the time. Smart to keep an extra hub on hand. For 1973+ cars, the hub is integral with rotor, so you get a new one with every rotor.

-
Back