Floor Coatings Questions

-
What about that fancy tile like the black and white? Is anything done there to seal the joints so spills don't get under it?

My shop just has the clear sealer on the concrete, that you roll on with a roller. It's hard to tell it's there these days because the shop was built in 2007. Plus it's full...lol. Downside to that type sealer is that if you spill gas on it, or lacquer thinner, it eats the sealer and makes a sticky spot.
Well that sucks!
I had almost decided on just sealer.

Nothing fancy like tile or those rubber tiles that interlock.

I use my jackstands and floor jack everyday.
I guess I fill get a bunch of cardboard to start!

Well that sucks!
I had almost decided on just sealer.
I did sealer in part of my shop. The finish didn't hold up that well on the surface, but it did seem to seal the concrete. It seems like fluids don't soak in like it does with bare concrete. And it sweeps up better than bare concrete. So somewhat effective but not necessarily pretty if that's what you want.

Those pretty speckled surfaces make it impossible to find anything you drop . I would suggest a solid color .

I have done two garages now. Several years back after completing construction of a detached garage I used a pricey two part epoxy. It was a total bust. The concrete had cured maybe six months when I put it down, maybe that wasn't long enough. Stuff started peeling up within a couple years and is pretty much all gone now. I followed the directions to a tee, but it didn't last.
A couple months ago I had our attached garage floor done by a company that came in, ground the surface off and put it down. This was some "new" to the market, polyaspartic I think it was called. Used on bridges and stuff (they say) and comes with a lifetime warranty. Supposed to be able to park a car with hot tires on it with no issues. It really does look nice, although as said in an earlier post - finding a screw or something dropped is near impossible! I watched several you tube videos to see if I wanted to do it myself - it would have been a big job doing it alone, and grinding the surface down - an acid etch doesn't take it down far enough. They also ground out a couple cracks and used a seam sealer to refill. They did a great job - and a whole lot different than the you tube videos I watched.

Rob, hit me up if you want the name of the company. I can't speak to long term yet obviously, but I am pretty confident that we are good to go here.

A few pics of before, during & after...

IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

I used some of the 2-part epoxy from Rustoleum with a coat of their 2-part epoxy clear (with anti-slip grit) on garage floor when I moved into my house in 2009. The parts near the garage doors that see sun have yellowed a little, but the rest looks good as new when it's clean. It does make wiping up spills a breeze and I'd do it again in a heart beat.
My Rustoleum floor lasted over 10 years with some serious abuse. It didn't peal except under the door from cold winters. I top coated it last year and it looked good until I started another restoration :) For the price I'll do that again when I'm done doing heavy work, painting, etc.

I have done two garages now. Several years back after completing construction of a detached garage I used a pricey two part epoxy. It was a total bust. The concrete had cured maybe six months when I put it down, maybe that wasn't long enough. Stuff started peeling up within a couple years and is pretty much all gone now. I followed the directions to a tee, but it didn't last.
A couple months ago I had our attached garage floor done by a company that came in, ground the surface off and put it down. This was some "new" to the market, polyaspartic I think it was called. Used on bridges and stuff (they say) and comes with a lifetime warranty. Supposed to be able to park a car with hot tires on it with no issues. It really does look nice, although as said in an earlier post - finding a screw or something dropped is near impossible! I watched several you tube videos to see if I wanted to do it myself - it would have been a big job doing it alone, and grinding the surface down - an acid etch doesn't take it down far enough. They also ground out a couple cracks and used a seam sealer to refill. They did a great job - and a whole lot different than the you tube videos I watched.

Rob, hit me up if you want the name of the company. I can't speak to long term yet obviously, but I am pretty confident that we are good to go here.

A few pics of before, during & after...

View attachment 1716130413

View attachment 1716130414

View attachment 1716130415

View attachment 1716130416

View attachment 1716130417

View attachment 1716130418
Where are you located? The reason I ask, the guy running the grinder looks a lot like my brother (gets grainy when I zoom in so I can’t tell for certain) who does commercial floor prep and epoxy floors.

And my advice to anyone considering epoxy, I second what @cosgig said, don’t bother with the stuff from Lowe’s or hd, spend the money once and have a commercial company come in, grind the floor and use industrial epoxy, it’ll last WAY longer.

Where are you located? The reason I ask, the guy running the grinder looks a lot like my brother (gets grainy when I zoom in so I can’t tell for certain) who does commercial floor prep and epoxy floors.

And my advice to anyone considering epoxy, I second what @cosgig said, don’t bother with the stuff from Lowe’s or hd, spend the money once and have a commercial company come in, grind the floor and use industrial epoxy, it’ll last WAY longer.
I live in middle Georgia, the company is out of Locust Grove, just south of Atlanta. They (there were two guys) seen my Duster, but they weren’t Mopar guys…

I live in middle Georgia, the company is out of Locust Grove, just south of Atlanta. They (there were two guys) seen my Duster, but they weren’t Mopar guys…
I gotcha. That’s not my brother then, he’s got a business named Tricor Floor Prep in Fort Worth, tx. Sure looks like him from a distance though!

-
Back