Flywheel questions

-

9secRR

Reaction score
forgive my lack of knowledge on this topic.
I built a run/test stand. I friend of mine gave me a SB flywheel and bell housing.
The flywheel is 130 tooth and 6 bolt and measured 12.5”.
my crank is 8 bolt so I need to find a 8 bolt flywheel to bolt to the crank.
Is there a cheap flywheel that I can get? It only needs to idle on the run stand so I don’t need anything special.
Do I look for a 12.5” or what do I need?
This is the 6 bolt flywheel I have but need 8 bolt.

IMG_0826.jpeg

What are you running, and which 8 bolt pattern is it?
The 8 bolt cranks for LA motors that were offered by DC/MP and others used the Gen2 Hemi crank flange, the Gen3 Hemi has a different 8 bolt pattern (the Viper V10 also had 8 bolt and was yet another pattern, as did the Gen1 Hemi, but I'll assume that's not what you're running). None of them interchange, none are cheap.
If you're running a Gen3, you could check into a flywheel from a 4.7, which had the G3 Hemi pattern, and have it turned down to accept a 130 tooth ring gear.
An option for the LA would be to have your 6 bolt flywheel redrilled to the 8 bolt pattern- I wouldn't run it on the street, but it should be okay for idling on a run stand.

AFAIK it’s not going to be cheap.

If all you are doing is trying to get it out and checked out on your run stand, you can use a few pipe plugs to block off some of the holes and then redrill the 6 bolt pattern in it.

I’ve done that before on an 8 bolt aluminum flywheel. I wasn’t paying for a new FW after I hurt my 8 bolt crank.

I ran the hell out of it and it never failed.

That’s probably the cheapest way to get it done.

the crank is a LA Enterprise Kyptonite 3.875'' stroke.
What are you running, and which 8 bolt pattern is it?
The 8 bolt cranks for LA motors that were offered by DC/MP and others used the Gen2 Hemi crank flange, the Gen3 Hemi has a different 8 bolt pattern (the Viper V10 also had 8 bolt and was yet another pattern, as did the Gen1 Hemi, but I'll assume that's not what you're running). None of them interchange, none are cheap.
If you're running a Gen3, you could check into a flywheel from a 4.7, which had the G3 Hemi pattern, and have it turned down to accept a 130 tooth ring gear.
An option for the LA would be to have your 6 bolt flywheel redrilled to the 8 bolt pattern- I wouldn't run it on the street, but it should be okay for idling on a run stand.
since the flywheel is only being used on the run stand, is it possible that at least 3 of the bolt holes on the flywheel would line up to the crank holes? it won't see anymore then 1800-2000 rpm on the stand. if 3 bolts holes lines up, that should work?

If all you are doing is trying to get it out and checked out on your run stand, you can use a few pipe plugs to block off some of the holes and then redrill the 6 bolt pattern in it.

I’ve done that before on an 8 bolt aluminum flywheel. I wasn’t paying for a new FW after I hurt my 8 bolt crank.

I’m not sure exactly how many holes lined up. It may have been 3. I think if you can get 3 bolts in there I can’t think of a reason why that wouldn’t work.

That’s even cheaper and easier.

the crank is a LA Enterprise Kyptonite 3.875'' stroke.

since the flywheel is only being used on the run stand, is it possible that at least 3 of the bolt holes on the flywheel would line up to the crank holes? it won't see anymore then 1800-2000 rpm on the stand. if 3 bolts holes lines up, that should work?
I couldn't tell you for sure- I don't have any of the 8 bolt Gen2 pattern stuff sitting around right now. Best way to tell for sure is to slap it on there and see how many you can get to line up. Center registers should all be the same.

Ok, my memory is faulty. Again. The 8 bolt pattern is on bigger centers than the 6 bolt is.

I went from 8 bolt to 6 not the other way around.

I had to plug more holes than I thought.

I don’t see any way to get any bolts started.

Yes! An 8 bolt pattern will clear the 6 bolt pattern except 1 bolt hole will have to be elongated if you want to go to the trouble. Here is the 8 bolt pattern marked on a 6 bolt flywheel. It's done with a Sharpie so the drawn holes should be bigger, but you get the idea.

IMG_5604.JPG

IMG_5606.JPG

-
Back