Foot pedal preferences/suggestions

-

Sublime one

72 Demon
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Northwest Arkansas Blair Creek Training Center
i am to the point of figuring out foot pedal configuration, I need three and floor mounted is preferred. At this point I am looking at both Tilton and Wilwood. I can fabricate and weld aluminum so no issue with modifications. I am in a 72 Demon and have not yet located seat. I am indifferent to back seat being there or not. I actually prefer not. Steering wheel has QD. Need slave for hydraulics on T-60 tranny. Any suggestions on either of the two mentioned or another version? I have no loyalty to anything but function. Love to hear any and all ideas. Car is quasi daily driver. Limited track time.

I made my own pedals, but I used mechanical linkage. I looked at the Tilton. My car was so tight, and the firewall was moved back 9 inches. The biggest suggestion I can give you is the car has to be comfortable for YOU. Not some fence leaning know nothing.

To that end, to make my car comfortable, I angled the steering wheel towards the centerline of the car, and the seat opening to that same angle. With a 3 pedal car, it's even more important to be comfortable.

Thanks YR! I have already done 1/2 of ( steering column) what you suggested. I totally agree. The comfort part was part of the thought process behind migration to running cable throttle on gen 3. It gives me a lot more latitude to move gas pedal around. I had to fabricate my own tunnel for the T-60 (it is a pig) so knew I was going to fight pedal location. I am a bit unfoldable at 6-2 240 pounds! I hate working up under the dash. Both Tilton and Wilwood give me the ability to make all kinds of modifications. My question really revolves around the quality aspect For flexibility with attachments. I am totally winging it on pedals so the misc attachments are super handy.

I feel that shifter ergonomics should come first in a 3 pedal car with an H pattern shifter, as with just the right offset an H pattern hits the next gate just as easily as an in-line. Shifter location will then dictate seat location, which means seat location in-turn dictates location of the pedals and steering wheel. Usually have to make some compromises along the way to make it all work together. I personally prefer a hanging pedal, but have made floor mounted pedal setups as well.

Grant

The racer in me always prefers the floor mount vs hanging. Now that I am old and can't do yoga position welding it all but eliminated the hanging ones for me! I have already located shifter with basic relation to pedals. Nothing worse than getting a cramp in shoulder trying to shift. I am using old B body style shifter and am presently quarreling with myself over tall or short version!

Part of what I like about a hanging pedal is that you can put the clutch master in the engine compartment where it's easier to bleed the system. A bleed hose on the slave/htob makes bleeding easier yet, also an easy place to plumb in a pressure sensor or gauge :)

Grant

-
Back