Footbrake racing

-

tvt59

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't Footbrake race much anymore. But for those who do.

20240920_163510.jpg

20240920_163531.jpg

I've been drag racing since 1959. Always footbrake. My opinion is "the box is for drivers that can't adjust to changing conditions. It is a crutch".
Waiting to get flamed

I cannot Footbrake AMX because it is so cramped inside for me when I get my Dakota finished I will probably footbrake it some because there is much more room in it

Wow I honestly couldn’t tell you that. It’s been quite awhile now though. Pretty sure keystone was still an NHRA track at the time.
When did they change the tree from 5 yellows to 3?
Prior to year 2000. If I remember correctly, when I took a break from racing about 1985 it was still 5 bulbs. When I started racing again in 2000 it was 3 bulbs.

I loved my transbrake, tho I raced no-box with it. My lights were better, and more consistent. Not great, just better, lol.
I'm cramped in my Opel too, like tvt59, but I'm gonna start footbraking it, and probably eventually go TB.
I got a steering wheel with a flat spot on the bottom, for more legroom. It's as small as I feel comfortable using.

Let me clarify my statement. I don't have a problem with a manually triggered trans brake. What I have a problem with is delay boxes, and all those other "crazy" things, like leaving hard, then throttling back then going full throttle again (by computer). If the driver has full manual control, Hey that's being pretty skillful. There are probably many devices I am not even aware of.

Let me clarify my statement. I don't have a problem with a manually triggered trans brake. What I have a problem with is delay boxes, and all those other "crazy" things, like leaving hard, then throttling back then going full throttle again (by computer). If the driver has full manual control, Hey that's being pretty skillful. There are probably many devices I am not even aware of.

How long has it been since you’ve raced. Even trans brake buttons are adjustable now. Lol

How long has it been since you’ve raced. Even trans brake buttons are adjustable now. Lol
Actually I was up to Gainsville two weeks ago. I was supposed to be at the slant six race this weekend at Knoxville Dragway. But I had a problem with care for my wife. She can't be left alone for too many hours (medical issues). There are probably "driver assist" devices I have never heard of. Since I am a "die hard old school" racer I don't pay attention to what is out there. I know "hobby" racers that have more money in their electronic devices than I have in all my cars put together.

do you understand that is class racing? super comp, super gas, and super street. it takes a boatload of skill to compete in those classes. you have to run the number (8.90, 9.90, and 10.90) and the field is extremely tight.

i've been involved with a super comp dragster for 3 years and it some of the most intense racing i have ever seen. those that know, know.

do you understand that is class racing? super comp, super gas, and super street. it takes a boatload of skill to compete in those classes. you have to run the number (8.90, 9.90, and 10.90) and the field is extremely tight.

i've been involved with a super comp dragster for 3 years and it some of the most intense racing i have ever seen. those that know, know.
Yes, I understand that. It looks totally stupid to someone that is not really familiar with drag racing. And the drivers are not really driving, they are just steering, the "computer" is doing the driving. Take the computer out of the car and show me what the driver can do.
PS: over the years I have competed in quite a few different vehicles. From a Z/SA- bracket racer 65 Valiant, a 65 Valiant with a 273, a altered wheelbase 68 Cougar with a 440 Chrys., Front motor dragster with SBC. I ran all four of those cars at 5 different races in the same week. ET's ranged from high 16's to mid 9's and I did well. I have held record's in three different stock eliminator classes with a Ford, a Chevy and a Mopar. I was runnerup at the "bracket Nationals" at Byron Ill. in 1976, also runnerup at the division one Bracket finals. Over the years I have raced at over 50 different dragstrips (even ran at Pittsburg) and I can't even say how many cars. And I never ran electronics, except for ign box. Fact is I never even had a "line lock" until 5 years ago. Back "in the day" I was very good, But I parked my car in 1985, because footbrake and box cars ran together, and foot breakers did not have a very good chance of making it to the "money" rounds at a big payout race. I resurrected slant six my car in 2000 to run the slant six series. I'm not so good any more, as I don't run my races or TnT's, and I have slowed down some at 82 years old.

-
Back