For those who saw my thread about coolant in cylinder 8

-

2021FLTRK

Reaction score
Finally pulled the piston to confirm the problem. There are two visible holes in the cylinder wall. They are not small holes. One is approx. 1mm, and the other is nearly 2mm. They were just deep enough in the cylinder to be hidden by the piston, but at least the top hole was above the rings. That's why it only leaked coolant when the piston was at the bottom of the stroke.

I just thought some of you would be interested to see the final outcome of the investigation.

20240720_103406.jpg

That block must have some serious corrosion going on.

Most likely now a giant paper weight. You could look into sleeving that hole, but it might cost more than a different block…

Most likely now a giant paper weight. You could look into sleeving that hole, but it might cost more than a different block…
I have zero faith that I will not eventually find other issues in other cylinders. This engine has never even been pressurized. We were simply turning it over by hand getting ready to install the distributor and noticed coolant coming out of the cylinder. It did not even have a cap on the radiator. If this is what one cylinder looks like, I have no reason to think the others are solid.

Already have a 67 block that is stock bore ready for the machine shop to work on.

What year and CID is the block, was it sonic tested before the machine work was done?

I have zero faith that I will not eventually find other issues in other cylinders. This engine has never even been pressurized. We were simply turning it over by hand getting ready to install the distributor and noticed coolant coming out of the cylinder. It did not even have a cap on the radiator. If this is what one cylinder looks like, I have no reason to think the others are solid.

Already have a 67 block that is stock bore ready for the machine shop to work on.
I hope you’re not using the same machine shop. If they didn’t see that what else did they miss? And if they did I see it? OMG. Kim

Last edited:
I hope you’re not using the same machine shop. If they didn’t see that what else did they miss? And if they did I see it? OMG. Kim
I did build the current block. It was purchased as a complete long block from a national engine remanufacturer. IT was purchased with every performance upgrade they offered - upgraded cam, higher compression pistons, double roller timing set, upgraded valve springs. But it was freight delivered, and no one had a clue it had been bored 60 over until we disassembled it.

This time I am taking a bare block to a local shop and working with them directly. Fool me once . . .

1 Sleeve installed , 100 bucks.

X 8.. lol

Yeah... use the other block .
I had a cylinder wall fall out on a stroker build.. when I looked at the chunks... there was some serious pitting and even what looked like an OLD crack... because half way through the cracked chuck was brown like it was cracked a while. Only a small portion was fresh iron looking.

-
Back