Ford 8.8 Swap

-
I did look it up and was incorrect. So I was mistaken, my bad!!

I feel like a kid being scolded....now ya feel better? We all make mistakes, so the next time you think your perfect, try walking on water.

My apologies to screwing up.

LOL ^

Well said 70440. Nailed it on the head!

8.8 is the way to go for people who don't have a whole lot of money to have a good gear ratio put in along with a locker.

Where is the best place to weld the short axle tube, outboard or inboard, or in the middle? I did mine inboard as i figured the load would be the least farthest from the leaf spring hanger. Opinions? I found it pretty easy to cut and center the axle Tube if you leave a stub of the original inboard, then you just install the axle, bury it in the carrier to proper depth and then use a few v blocks to level up the loose tube With the stub, then start welding about an inch at a time in opposite side intervals after you put a few tacks around it. Ugly welds, they buff out! You can further brace the weld with a collar around your original weld, then weld the collar on both sides for added strength.

The 8.8 is not a bolt in so the person installing it will want to set pinion angle before welding the perches to the axle tube.
Pinion is best within 1-2 degrees or tranny output shaft. Done with an angle finder or magnetic degree wheel.

i used to hate all things gm too. but with age and gaining some maturity, Ive realized that GM, Chrysler, Ford, AMC.....theyre all cars, they all had some great cars and a lot of shitty ones. They all had positives and negatives. It comes down to personal preference, and I am no longer one to slam someone else because their preference is different than mine.

There is not a single musclecar EVER built that I would leave 100% stock. Every car built has something about it that doesnt sit well with me. Compound in a few decades of technological improvements making things better, and a couple of decades of parts getting scarcer and more expensive, and you end up with most people realizing the advantages of letting go of the outdated/pricey stuff and stepping into the cheaper/better built stuff.

If you want to be one of those guys who has to keep everything 100% stock, that is fine. But your opinion isnt the only one. The guys who prefer 100% stock cars are likely not the guys who enjoy driving them regularly, I imagine. 40 year old technology with it's undersized drum brakes, relative lack of machining precision, carbueration, suspensions, wiring, etc.....doesnt add up to a pleasant car for the road.

ANd if getting my car to a more enjoyable state requires that I use a part from another manufacturer, I will do it.....particularly on something as nearly universal as a rear axle. I prefer not to limit myself to inferior parts/higher priced parts/poorer parts selection, simply because I give a crap what someone else thinks.

motopsycho, by age 44, I'd have hoped youve matured enough to see things this way as well
Well said

Not me buddy I’m Studebaker all the way!!!

-
Back