ford 9" monarch

-

pagilman

Reaction score
:toothy7: Hi, Need some advice. I have heard from a friend that some v-8 monarchs and Granadas had 9" rears that are a perfect bolt in for a mopar A body. If this is true it would help us guys who can't afford an 8.75 mopar. Does anyone know if this is true or has anyone else heard this? thanks walt :coffee2:

I'm not sure if they had the 9" or the 8.8" in those models. I have one from a ? 77 model Granada out in the yard, but it's got a few inches of snow on it now and it's probably frozen it's pumpkin into the ground. I'll see if I can dig it out enough over the weekend to get a picture and some measurements for you. If the cold and wind stay the way they are right now, you may have to wait until next weekend. :)

I'm not a Ford guy at all but was thinking the same thing. It would surprise me if they put the 9" in a Granada/Monarch. Another rear Ford used that alot of guys get mixed up with the 9" is the 8". It looks allmost identical to the 9" except a little smaller. Not sure about the 8.8 rear as I haven't seen one of them. Don't know if they had the drop out center pumpkin like a 9" but I know the 8" did. When you see a 8" and 9" center unit side by side the tell tale sign is if you can get a socket with extension to fit on all the mounting nuts it's a 8". The 9" is just big enough that you can't get the socket on a couple nuts. Also the 8" housing is a little oval shaped whereas the 9" is perfectly round.

here may be the answer you need....this is copied from another website. hope this helps!

Granada rear-end in a Mopar A-body?

The Ford axle is an 8" unit. So yes, its stronger than a 7.25" (anything is). The center drops out like the Chrysler 8 3/4 and Ford 9". If so, its a good thing. The only drawback to an 8" is that gears and posi units are harder to find than an 8-3/4.

The 8" Ford is a drop in replacement. Everything lines up, you need to use the mopar parking brake cables and a Ford/Mopar adapter U-joint.

The overall width of the Granadas 8" Ford axle is 57", the overall width of an A-body axle is 56 1/4". The spring perches are the same at 43".

The 8" Ford axle from the Granada is 3/4" wider then the standard A-body axle. The spring perches are in the same location. They use 3" U bolts, so 8.25", 8.75", 9.25" shock plates are needed. The 7.25" driveshaft should bolt on with an combination U joint. I would suspect that they weight about the same as the 8.25". Street Rodder has an article on the available drum brake packages for this axle in the current issue (two Ford, one Currie). There are several disk brake setup available, one from CE, one from Currie and there are most likely others.

Some Granadas had 9" units! , check the bottom bolt. if you can fit a box end wrench on it 8", if only an open end fits, 9" !

The Ford 9" and/or 8.75" axles will be found behind 351 powered Granadas/Monarchs. Everything else, used the 8" axle. Avoid the 8.75" axle, it is not supported by the aftermarket nor Ford. This axle can be identified by the bolt on rear cover. It looks vaguely like the 8.8" axle.

The 9" can be found in both with either the straight six or v8. Some even came with rear disc, but don't get your hopes up as there were very few. The predominant rear is a 8".

Have Heard A Explorer Rear End 8.8 Rear Disc Would Work Well I Searched Recycle Yards And Found A Few For 200.00 And Up 4.10 Pos Lock Need Measurements To See How Close Anyone Know?

again some more info pulled straight from another site. hope it helps....

Ranger rear-end?

The Ranger rear end is a 7.5", also found in Bronco II , many are traction-locks, most had a 3.45, 3.73, or 4.10 ratio and parts are cheap because the same carrier came in mustangs etc. with V6s. These might be a good option.

The width is about 1/2" narrower than an A-body rearend and it's got the 4 1/2" bolt pattern. you will have to move the spring pearch's to the bottom of the axle housing. But this thing looks big and strong when you put it up next to a 7 1/4" mopar.

-
Back