Ford engine question.

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
My old man picked up a 73 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland. We have no idea if it’s the original motor or what really has been done to it. Here are the details I can confirm.

-650 cfm Holley DP with no mechanical secondaries or choke.
-Performer intake
-full msd ignition (not sure if part numbers)
-comp cam hydraulic roller
270 duration intake and exhaust
224 duration at .050
.519 lift
-heads appear to be factory but don’t know what size valves or if they had any work.
-1 3/4 hooker headers

I know without the info on the heads this is really a shot in the dark but what would be a good HP and TQ estimate.

Look at the heads in on the part that sticks out from under the valve cover in the front on the intake side for a big "4" cast into them. That designates the 4V heads. If they aren't there, they aren't 4V heads. If they are, they all had 2.19 intake and 1.88 exhaust valves. Anything past about the first half in 1971 had open chamber heads and about 8.5:1 compression. Just guessing, I'd say 325HP and 350LBFT.

Look at the heads in on the part that sticks out from under the valve cover in the front on the intake side for a big "4" cast into them. That designates the 4V heads. If they aren't there, they aren't 4V heads. If they are, they all had 2.19 intake and 1.88 exhaust valves. Anything past about the first half in 1971 had open chamber heads and about 8.5:1 compression. Just guessing, I'd say 325HP and 350LBFT.

Figured you would chime in Rusty. I’ll check the heads tonight when we are swapping out the rear end and let you all know. My dart is making 410 hp and that big block ford doesn’t seem that much slower but we shall see when they both get to stretch their legs.

Figured you would chime in Rusty. I’ll check the heads tonight when we are swapping out the rear end and let you all know. My dart is making 410 hp and that big block ford doesn’t seem that much slower but we shall see when they both get to stretch their legs.
It's a small block. I know it looks big, but it's a small block. It may have some compression. Who knows what's in it? You get the compression up in a Cleveland and they'll haul the mail. Run a compression test on it when you get time.

If its a 4V Performer intake, it will say 4V right on the intake. Also the Performer 4V has no choke well as the 2V does. Great motors, had one (2v heads) in my 57 Fairlane.
4V head theory was interesting...they made them huge (maybe too big) and then when they made the aluminum versions, the ports were smaller. The 4V Performer intake did not have the full 4V port size, they thought it was too big too.

Last edited:
And fire... and flood.... and wind...

All the earth elements going out there :thumbsup:

But winter... you don't really have to deal with that so much unless you want to....and drive up into the mountains

It's a small block. I know it looks big, but it's a small block. It may have some compression. Who knows what's in it? You get the compression up in a Cleveland and they'll haul the mail. Run a compression test on it when you get time.

Those canted valve heads take up a lotta room, but they sure do flow the air.

Those canted valve heads take up a lotta room, but they sure do flow the air.
Like a ****. You ever seen a 4V Cleveland head in person? I have a pair in the spare bedroom. HUGE ports.

If its a 4V Performer intake, it will say 4V right on the intake. Also the Performer 4V has no choke well as the 2V does. Great motors, had one (2v heads) in my 57 Fairlane.

My dad just found the intake number Lb33/4V. So it is a 4 valve. How much of an improvement are those heads.

My dad just found the intake number Lb33/4V. So it is a 4 valve. How much of an improvement are those heads.
debateable...are you running 8000 RPM NASCAR? Its a velocity issue but with a logical build, they can work great. They are worth some $$, sounds like a gnarly Mach! shoot a pic of that LB33 intake, could be rare.

debateable...are you running 8000 RPM NASCAR? Its a velocity issue but with a logical build, they can work great. They are worth some $$, sounds like a gnarly Mach! shoot a pic of that LB33 intake, could be rare.

Sounds like we will need to pull the valve cover off to see what 4V head it is.

Had one long ago, 11 to 1 pistons, 4V heads, comp cam, that was a nasty badass motor, 7000 rpm all day long. Was in a 66 Galaxie 500 2 dr hardtop, had a 3.50 traction lock diff, went like raped ape.

Does the 4V on the intake part number not mean 4 valve?
No. Ford used the letter "V" for venturi. Venturi=barrels. If it was a 4 valve motor, it'd have 32 valves. That'd be interestin though. lol

There is always the Ford 4 valve Coyote motor....460/420ft-lbs at 7000 rpm. All from a 5.0. Not too bad. Wonder what that indy motor put out?

Check out the history and track record of the Cosworth DFV

This is one of 5 engines my brother builds. DFV, BGA, BDG, Lotus Twin Cam, Hart 420 and BMW M12’s for vintage racing. So yeah, I’ve stripped down a few DFV’s and a ton of BDA/ BDG, Lotus TC. He worked for the main company in the US that builds DFV’s and restores vintage F1 cars. Now he has his own shop running these cars building motors...

There is always the Ford 4 valve Coyote motor....460/420ft-lbs at 7000 rpm. All from a 5.0. Not too bad. Wonder what that indy motor put out?

Hang tight, asking as my brother ran one of the 5 cams on the dyno last February.

-
Back