Found a neat C body

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Two fields over from where I'm working in a steel salvage yard, I spotted this late 60's C body. Went and spoke with the owner a couple days ago, he said it was left behind by a previous tenant to pay rent that the tenant didn't pay. He said he would sell, its a 383 2 bbl, Fury VIP 4 door hard top. Supposedly has 60,000 original miles. Plates say it was last insured in '86. Super good shape, minus the passenger upper quarter, which needs some work. It hasn't been run in 3 years. I asked what he wanted for it, it said he would like to get around $3000. I offered $1000 as it sits (he isn't sure if engine runs, or if it does, how well, and fuel system needs going through, as well as brakes and other things. Oh, and there are no keys. He turned down my offer, saying that he has a guy who will pay that much just for the drivetrain for his Duster. He said he'll just scrap the car after he sells the engine. Noooo.. its way too clean to just scrap.
Anyways, what would you guys pay? Cool car which I'd like to see saved.

002-2.jpg

003-3.jpg

001-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

007-3.jpg

008-3.jpg

That car needs to be taken out of the weeds!
It's a '69.....right?
Love the color, but i'm a sucker for green cars as you know.
I think your offer of a grand is fair, Mike.

Judging from the oxidation on the carb body and the rust on the choke plate, I'd be surprised if the engine still turns, let alone runs.

You already offered him more than I would have. Neat car, looks like it was really clean before it sat in the grass for a few years.

I like it it's a neat old car and I think you made a fair offer. The owner wants 3k but is willing to scrap if he can't get it is BS. Must be scrap is $1500 a ton or his math skills are off but I hope you can save the car at any rate.

your offer is more than fair, that car will be there & posted on cars in barns someday!
Lawrence

its a late 60's C body with 4 doors, but it does have a 383, not a 440 but still big blocks sell better. I would say 2500 as the car sits is a fair asking price

I like it it's a neat old car and I think you made a fair offer. The owner wants 3k but is willing to scrap if he can't get it is BS. Must be scrap is $1500 a ton or his math skills are off but I hope you can save the car at any rate.

Those were my thoughts exactly, and considering I'm working in a scrap yard, I know exactly how much that car is worth in scrap. I'll keep pestering though, maybe he'll come to. My main concern was that a tree top had broken off and is hanging directly over the car, and I offered to help move it out from under the tree. He didn't seem to care.

Rescue it if you can, please. Hate to see those cars scrapped.
This one is darn near identical to one my grandfather had and took us for rides in.

Sweet!
Cruise-o-matic machine!

Probably in top form gets a solid 10mpg.

If I had a chance to get a good condition car like that, I sure would.

Next time you pester him you may remind him that the pans might not be in the best of shape after sitting in the grass/weeds for a while.

Sorry to the idiot that offered $1,000 for the drivetrain.

Probably the owners imaginary friend.

Sorry to the idiot that offered $1,000 for the drivetrain.

Probably the owners imaginary friend.

Low comp. 383, 727 that has to be gone thru and a open 2.76 in the 8 3/4. Unless you need every single nut, bolt, bracket, etc. i can't see someone payin' that.......It needs to stay with that car.

I don't under stand people like that. 1000 is more then fair for that. It's a neat car but who knows what your going to find when you start taking it apart. You should show up cash in hand and make the offer

not worth $3000 as it sits, your offer is generous its a shame to see it sit but the owner is crazy

those 4 doors will never be worth much, only to the guy thinking he can put a down payment on a new house because it says PLYMOUTH or DODGE on it. i cant count how many 4 doors we have parted out. if he wont take a 1000 and he says he has someone else that will pay more, then why is it still for sale? even a 2500 mile original car can still be rusted out from the floor up. i would move on and forget about it. the dude clearly thinks its worth its weight.

nothing against C bodies, i love them , and ive had a number of them , only the 2 door versions appeal to me

I really like C-Bodies, and that Fury looks cool. Could be really rusty underneath, but your offer is more than fair.

I offered $1000 as it sits (he isn't sure if engine runs, or if it does, how well, and fuel system needs going through, as well as brakes and other things. Oh, and there are no keys. He turned down my offer, saying that he has a guy who will pay that much just for the drivetrain for his Duster. He said he'll just scrap the car after he sells the engine. Noooo.. its way too clean to just scrap.
Anyways, what would you guys pay? Cool car which I'd like to see saved.

To me $600 - 850. is on point but if your willing to bump up to $1200. you may will sway him. You could tell him your saving him time removing the engine and hauling it to the scrap yard... Up in Cananda I'm sure its tought o find a low mileage '60's-'70's Mopar with liitle rust/body issues. This is where my belief that restorable cars with little bodywork in certain areas of the country are worth a little bit more then those in dry / arid areas like California, Arizona, etc... because they are harder to find. My .02

Well, the guy has been coming over to the yard and asking a coworker when I am going to come over and get the Plymouth. I did notice the car on Craigslist recently for $2500.. funny how it came on Craigslist right after I showed some interest in it.
He came over the other day when I was around and asked when I was going to come over and get it, and I said I would come over when he dropped the price. He then said 'Well, make me an offer!' so I offered $1000 again, and he said 'No! That's an insult!' I then explained how the car has been sitting for 3 years in a field, (he corrected me saying it's actually been sitting 15 years..) how it has no air cleaner and moisture has definitely gotten inside the engine, how the quarter needs work, how the floors will definitely have rust, how the engine will need going through, how I have to pay for the tow, and a number of other things. He said 'Well.. how about you give me $1000, and then give me monthly payments of $100 until I get $1800.' I said no, that I stand at $1000.
We'll see where that goes.

It's a real neat car but it might be the guy is doing you a favor by not coming down enough on the price that you would buy it...you can't save every cool car...you might be better off without it...

Haha, ya, no worries. I don't expect him to come down in price, but it may give someone else a chance to save it and do something with it, since he can see that it needs work. He did come down from $3000 to $1800 though.

I payed $400 for this, Perfect body and paint, good interior...no front suspension or dash, its a '73 Newport 4 door hardtop, last year for the 69-73 Body style

181849_4232387014579_1568541631_n_zps4d2d91ae.jpg

-
Back