Found my dads original 1971 duster!

-
Hey guys. Also if anyone has any pics of installing the rear hardboard panel and the back vinyl door panels that would be awesome. I’m not sure what order they would be done in and also if I might be missing some hardware, trims etc. I got things back in shambles. I’m going to try to tackle those things tomorrow. Thanks!

Oh boy!

The later panels like yours may have more grounds than my 67 but the three I mentioned are the ones I know for the interior.
In theory the instrument board will be grounded simply by mounting it, but at least on mine I found the factory had ground wire from the capacitor mounting screw to the radio support strut. I didn't see cap on your dash. I *think* it may not be needed if an electronic IVR is installed.

View attachment 1716268604

Loose wires - broken connectors. Any of them could have been a short, or a short waiting to happen.
Hey, Mattax. So quick question. I cant find any loose wires, bad connections etc. If I have the dash out, those 2 wires (red and black bolted together) it obviously now lets the car start….but should I also have power to the headlights, interior lights, signals etc (everything that doesn’t need the IVR conversion to 6 volts)?
I’ve never been able to get power to any of these yet. Or does the dash need to be installed back into the car to power this stuff up?
Sorry for the probably obvious question, the wiring end of things is just very confusing for me. Thanks

@Capt46.. that picture you posted for the rear defrost, whats the sheetmetal bracket for? whats it bolt to?... thanks

Hey, Mattax. So quick question. I cant find any loose wires, bad connections etc. If I have the dash out, those 2 wires (red and black bolted together) it obviously now lets the car start….but should I also have power to the headlights, interior lights, signals etc (everything that doesn’t need the IVR conversion to 6 volts)?
I’ve never been able to get power to any of these yet. Or does the dash need to be installed back into the car to power this stuff up?
Sorry for the probably obvious question, the wiring end of things is just very confusing for me. Thanks

I was going to suggest trying to trace things on a wiring diagram, but the diagram I have of a '71 sucks. But then I went to my '74 diagram and struggled with that one too, so must just be too early.

Have you checked for missing/bad fuses?

Headlights won't work without the dimmer switch on the floor. Is that plugged in?

Best I can tell, looks like the turn signal switch is pretty important in the function of the lights, is that still plugged in?

Best I got. Maybe Mattax has better/more ideas.

I was going to suggest trying to trace things on a wiring diagram, but the diagram I have of a '71 sucks. But then I went to my '74 diagram and struggled with that one too, so must just be too early.

Headlights won't work without the dimmer switch on the floor. Is that plugged in?

Best I can tell, looks like the turn signal switch is pretty important in the function of the lights, is that still plugged in?

Thanks! I’ll check those. I agree!! I can’t make heads or tails from the wiring diagrams I’ve found or been show. But again, without a base knowledge it’s very hard for me to understand what I’m looking at anyway

Sorry. Yes, I’ve checked all fuses

Thanks! I’ll check those. I agree!! I can’t make heads or tails from the wiring diagrams I’ve found or been show. But again, without a base knowledge it’s very hard for me to understand what I’m looking at anyway

Best suggestion I have, is if you can make paper copies take one and trace the wires with a highlighter or something. Find a component you think should work and trace whatever wires are connected to it back to their source. Use different colors for each wire. One of them should go back to power, either through a switch or fuse.

Sorry. Yes, I’ve checked all fuses

Did you check both sides of the fuse for power? There should be 2 that are hot at all times, 3 more that are hot with the ignition on and the last one hot when the headlights are on. At least as best I can tell from the wiring diagram I have.

Did you check both sides of the fuse for power? There should be 2 that are hot at all times, 3 more that are hot with the ignition on and the last one hot when the headlights are on. At least as best I can tell from the wiring diagram I have.
Thanks! I’ll try to see. So eliminating the dash and IVR won’t have anything to do with that? Lights etc should still work? The rallye dash with all the gauges is out of the car. I take it in on wed to have it repaired and solid state system put in it

Thanks! I’ll try to see. So eliminating the dash and IVR won’t have anything to do with that? Lights etc should still work? The rallye dash with all the gauges is out of the car. I take it in on wed to have it repaired and solid state system put in it

As long as the 2 amp gauge wires are connected, having the dash out shouldn't matter. Per what I can tell from the wiring diagram I have. But if the turn signal switch is out, the tail lights and such might not work. Interior lights should though.

My bet is the fuse box is bad and you don't have power on the fuse for the lights. But just a guess, you need to check it.

As long as the 2 amp gauge wires are connected, having the dash out shouldn't matter. Per what I can tell from the wiring diagram I have. But if the turn signal switch is out, the tail lights and such might not work. Interior lights should though.

My bet is the fuse box is bad and you don't have power on the fuse for the lights. But just a guess, you need to check it.
Cool. Thanks! I’ll keep you updated

While they have it, ask them about converting the Ammeter to a Voltmeter and make your decision based on what you hear.

-
Back