Found my dream car, now what?

-

fzmax

Reaction score
For at least the past 15 years I've been looking for a 63 to 65 Valiant. I would have taken a Barracuda, but I wanted a Valiant because they are lighter. Years ago I read somewhere that the 63’s were a real oddball in that they had an inch less wheelbase than the 60 to 62’s or the 64 and up models. This would make them the lightest of all A-bodies, but I’ve never seen one when I had a tape measure to verify.

Because of their rarity and combined with the fact that every Valiant I found was either out of my price range, across the country or was more damaged and rotted then I wanted to deal with I never considered I’d find a 63.

Header_1.JPG

A few weeks ago one popped up on eBay. This was a 63 two-door with only 12K miles with a buy it now for $10K. I didn’t consider this one as I’ve never spent near that much on a ride without financing it and $10,000 dollars is a ton of cake for a toy. Despite this, my wife encouraged me to pursue it. I contacted the owner and we agreed on a price. Unless something terrible happens it will be in my garage on Sunday.

Dash.JPG

All along I wanted a Valiant to build a mini Max-Wedge. Something like Chrysler might have turned out using an A-body and a small block. Kind of like the D-Dart or Formula S, but with more emphasis on ET than being drivable. But I'm a little torn.

This car is a true survivor. It's got 12K documented miles and spent most of it's like indoors. It's got a 170 slamming six, three on the tree, bench seat, radio delete, no rust, no dents, original 47-year-old Grandpa-Green paint (that still shines) and I forgot to ask the owner, but I didn’t even see any window cranks in the back in any of the pictures. The owner even has trophies from local shows.

Trunk.JPG

On some level I feel like a fell into a piece of history. But this isn’t the history of George Washington, more like his housekeeper’s younger sister. I mean, who really cares about a stripper Valiant? If we lived in 1963 or even 1983 I'd be tearing right into it. If the car turns out to be legit and not a restored ride with 112K should I not build it because it's almost 50 years old?

I'm probably going to build it the way I want, if not I might as well not buy it. But I'd like to hear what others think, is there anything to having a completely stock ride? That would be something new to me for sure.

First, I'm someone who likes my cars as they came from the factory, and I would care about a Valiant stripper. With that in mind, and if that is as you said an unmolested 12,000 mile car, IMHO, leave it alone. If I could afford it it I would go after it so it could be saved. While I have come to the conclusion that people can do what they want with their cars, it would be a shame to cut up this car, even if it was at a 112,000 miles. That car is in too good a condition to cut it up. I haven't seen anything like that in my area and it would draw my attention much faster then a car like you want to build. I would find interest in what you want to build, but I might think different if I knew that a "true survivor," as you put it, was cut up. If you want to build a car, please find something else that's not in the condition of this car, instead of ruining a peice of mopar history. This is not the car for what you want to do.

if it is what it is, leave it as it is. did that make sense? i wouldn't touch it if all you want to do is cut it up. the car is far too nice for that imho.

hey man mines a lil longer but 63 is the best man great cars just got mine on the road earlyer this week runs like a champ after a good tune and lube
have fun

Get it,and don't butcher up a nice piece of Mopar history. Just enjoy it as it is.

Everyone should do what they'd like with their car. But, IMO, throw in the most cubic inches you can and keep it a stock looker with a screamer engine. Sleeper? Anything you do with the car is great as long as you're glad with it. Stunning car, congrats on the purchase.

That is a beautiful car. I appreciate a nicely preserved, original car as much as anyone. However, having said that, I just can't leave a car stock. I didn't do it back in the day, and I can't do it now. The longer I own a vehicle, the more changes I make.
You've waited 15 years to make your dream come true, now is your opportunity to do it, so make it happen. If you have doubts about modifying the car, drive and show it the way it is for awhile, then build your mini-Max-Wedge. That way you will have enjoyed both worlds, showing the car stock and as your personal dream car. :cheers:
Good luck,
Dallas

We are kinda like foster parents with these old cars. Some choose to simply love as is and some abuse. The only difference is which draws the most attention. LOL

I'd say find the best possible compromise between leaving it factory-correct and making it into a beast. By that I mean swap in a killer drivetrain (large or maybe stroker SB, 4-speed, 8 3/4", etc.) but leave as much of everything else as possible untouched. Then if you decide to sell it swap the original drivetrain back in.

Get it,and don't butcher up a nice piece of Mopar history. Just enjoy it as it is.
Sorry, I'm with roadcuda,j-miller and 7demon2 on this one. I think you should be able to do whatever you want with your car, but I'd have a hard time starting to take apart and grind away on that creampuff.
It would be cool to have a stock '63 and a race '63 side by side, wouldn't it??

interesting thread. I have been and still are in the same dillema. Since I bought mine to repaint and drive I have defeated myself in this mental battle because of originality. At least twice a year I get the urge to repaint etc, but then I think of the cars originality and the enjoyment of having other mopar people enjoy the car as it sits and of course it stops me.
So, I guess my point is, its only original once. If you like history, it stays as it is, so everyone can enjoy. If that's not what you had in mind, well get out the "fire wrench" make yourself happy!
goodluck and enjoy the car with whatever you decide to do!

fire wrench ref. link below. read all his ads. funneeee

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970...ries?hash=item4148a4e977&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Thanks to everyone for voicing their opinions. After I get it back home and go over the whole thing I’ll better be able to decide what to do. Keeping it and leaving it alone isn’t really an option, but if I’m really looking at a piece of history I wouldn’t have a problem trading for a less historic, but equally desirable to me ride.

What does surprise me is that while there is no shortage of “tribute” cars, rust buckets, empty shells and downright POS’s fetching insane money, this time capsule was listed twice on eBay, got over 1500 views and never made the reserve or what I thought was a reasonable buy it now price. Not one person that feels this invaluable piece of rolling history must be saved was willing to put up the cash to do so.

As far as butchering it up goes, you won’t find it sitting on a Jeep frame with Type R stickers and a park bench style wing. It won’t have hacked wheel wells with fat tires sticking out like lawn chairs or a garbage can lid for a hood scoop.

There will be no hole drilled in the fender for an antenna, the radio delete plate will remain as I can make an engine produce all the music I need. Green’s not my favorite color, but if that paint’s not shot, it won’t be resprayed. At least not as long as I own it and it remains serviceable.

[FONT=&quot]Cuts that may need to be made would be limited to a hole for a floor shifter (though a column shifted five-speed sounds very cool), a couple of slots for frame connectors and possibly a cage if I decide to run it at the track. That’s pretty much it. I can work around the rest of the factory pieces and still build a period correct hot rod.[/FONT]

hey man mines a lil longer but 63 is the best man great cars just got mine on the road earlyer this week runs like a champ after a good tune and lube
have fun

That wagon is bad-***! If I had that it would get a V8, sound deadener, A/C and be our family car.

BTW, here is a '65 Dart I had in the late 80's. At the time it was another worthless car no one else wanted. I paid less than 10% of what I'm paying for the Valiant and I used the Dart as a daily driver for over a year before I got around to making it a little faster. Here's a video of a traction challenged pass.

What ever you decide to do KEEP all original parts so, in the future, you decide to sell it the buyer can put it back to original. You never know what the collector market is going to do. Five years from now your model my be the hottest one out there.

It is one beautiful car.

Jim

I looked at the picts just before it sold to Nebraska and man that is one sweet piece of Detroit iron.
Personally I couldn't do anything but drive and cherish that beauty the way it is.

In looking st the picts I don't see any rear window cranks either or a place for them. I wonder if it even has roll down rear windows? Seems like I remember some cars back then that the rear windows were solid.

Save the pieces is all I can say when you do cut it up.

That is one nice find!I believe it,s to nice to change(not cut up!)I have a clean 340,4 speed car that I started racing,started getting out of hand with the mods.So I bought this 66 Dart, to build the car I wanted to have fun with...before and after shots..DSC_0435.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 004.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 003.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 015.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 017.jpg

There is still other similar cars out there to build your dream car!

DSC_0435.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 004.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 003.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 015.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 017.jpg

I would not cut it at all but I would drop a 408 stroker,8-3/4 rear dual exhaust ,headers front disc, 15" wheels dog dish hubcaps ,leave full interior,and have a total monster sleeper.

What does surprise me is that while there is no shortage of “tribute” cars, rust buckets, empty shells and downright POS’s fetching insane money, this time capsule was listed twice on eBay, got over 1500 views and never made the reserve or what I thought was a reasonable buy it now price.
Not one person that feels this invaluable piece of rolling history must be saved was willing to put up the cash to do so.

The last sentence of the above paragraph says it all. Make your dream come true.

Dallas

that is a beautiful car man congrats. if you keep it stock it will be the slow grandpa car like it came originaly. really a cool car but wont keep you interested long i bet. i know it wouldnt me. so i would say get it and drive it have fun with it then go to town on it:) if you have any kinda emissions i would pass then as it is and get collector plates so you wont have to worry about that l8r then build what you want and as it sounds you want it to be a clean vintage correct car. kinda what ma mopar should of done back in 63. so it will still be a vintage really cool car. if it is in your name you do what you want. i would cut up a original 1 of 1 car if i thought it could be better. cars were ment to be driven and made better lol. just my opinion. i still really like original cars even slow cars they are just not for me. i would feel bad cutting that car tho lol but i would do it lol

Very nice car.
Having said that and getting it out of the way,
I'd bust her cherry and turn her into a shreaking ***** beast.
You can see in the picture she's sobbing "Somebody please
deflower me and save me from a life of drudgery and grocerie getting!"
She's been on ebay twice trying to sell her sad sack of goodies
with no takers, that should speak volumes.
At the least she needs a turbo and some wheels to get her
out on a date.

Cruising a geezermobile is not my style or fun for me,
burning rubber for 3 blocks and laughing is.

Green lights for the build!!!

Thanks to everyone for voicing their opinions. After I get it back home and go over the whole thing I’ll better be able to decide what to do. Keeping it and leaving it alone isn’t really an option, but if I’m really looking at a piece of history I wouldn’t have a problem trading for a less historic, but equally desirable to me ride.

What does surprise me is that while there is no shortage of “tribute” cars, rust buckets, empty shells and downright POS’s fetching insane money, this time capsule was listed twice on eBay, got over 1500 views and never made the reserve or what I thought was a reasonable buy it now price. Not one person that feels this invaluable piece of rolling history must be saved was willing to put up the cash to do so.

As far as butchering it up goes, you won’t find it sitting on a Jeep frame with Type R stickers and a park bench style wing. It won’t have hacked wheel wells with fat tires sticking out like lawn chairs or a garbage can lid for a hood scoop.

There will be no hole drilled in the fender for an antenna, the radio delete plate will remain as I can make an engine produce all the music I need. Green’s not my favorite color, but if that paint’s not shot, it won’t be resprayed. At least not as long as I own it and it remains serviceable.

[FONT=&quot]Cuts that may need to be made would be limited to a hole for a floor shifter (though a column shifted five-speed sounds very cool), a couple of slots for frame connectors and possibly a cage if I decide to run it at the track. That’s pretty much it. I can work around the rest of the factory pieces and still build a period correct hot rod.[/FONT]

IMHO, Like a lot of cars that are for sale these days, I'm sure that there are a lot that are taking a long time to sell, if they do at all. My friend has a '68 Roadrunner for sale and has had little interest. I'd be willing to buy a car like that Valiant, but like many people, lack of extra finances prevent me from doing it. In the last week alone I've seen 3 cars I wish I could have bought, but just can't do it. As far as making any cuts in the car, no matter how big or small they are, then the originality of that car is gone forever. This car is too unusual for that. As I said before, I respect the right of someone to do what they want with their cars, and it's obvious you are going to do what you want with this one, which makes me wonder why you even brought up the question. I just wish you could reconsider changing this car. There must be something out there that's not as nice as this car but still be solid enough for what you want to do.

-
Back