frequent classified buyers, when is it appropriate?

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
To contact paypal when you think you've been scammed?

Story:

Got on a mustang forum to find a used tko/tr3550. Got a response from a guy who had a tr3550 out of a 93' mustang. He asked for $800 shipped. Seemed like a reasonable price for the oldest version of the tko type transmission. On the 21st i send a payment and he says he'll try to get it out to me on monday if the holidays don't get in the way.(fine enough i thought).

Now on the 29th i sent a PM asking him to send me a tracking number/let me know if it has shipped. So far no response. which is odd to me because before he would promptly reply to my messages in a matter of 12-24hrs

Right now i'm thinking of giving the guy til thursday night to provide a tracking number or get paypal involved.

your opinions?

That's not chump change. IMO, any amount of money deserves good contact.

Send another message demanding contact and make known your intentions. Explain your reasoning.

$800.00 isn't chump change.

Send another message demanding contact and make known your intentions. Explain your reasoning.

$800.00 isn't chump change.

Xs2. Since the 21st there has been only 6 working days if you count the 24th and Saturday for the freight companies so that may be why it hasn't shown up if it was shipped. Might be he is on holiday and has no internet access at the moment. While you might have been scammed, waiting until tomorrow night to file a claim would give him a chance to reply after the holidays if you were not.

I'm hoping that you got a phone # ? I don't "think" I'd sent that many $$ without talking via phone first.

Call them.....:prayer:

Typically when you file a claim, the notification they receive gets their attention. It should be understandable to the seller due to the lack of communication. I would not hesitate at this point. It's your money we're talking about.

Keep in mind you only have 45 days from the transaction date to file a paypal claim.

Good luck! Hope this works out.

I'm hoping that you got a phone # ? I don't "think" I'd sent that many $$ without talking via phone first.

Call them.....:prayer:

Nope, no number. I've done $500ish dollar dealers without phone numbers so another 300 didn't seem like a big deal. Plus i went as far as checking the guys posts to see that he did post on the forum about his car.

And i agree with others on the communication bit. Even on small transactions i make a point to communicate well. Usually sending a pm letting them know i've shipped whatever they've bought.

Right now i'm in the mindset of waiting til tomorrow around noon. If nothing at that point, then i'm filing a claim.

Right now i'm in the mindset of waiting til tomorrow around noon. If nothing at that point, then i'm filing a claim.

I would still send him a message as documentation for your claim. It's just a few more keystrokes.

I would still send him a message as documentation for your claim. It's just a few more keystrokes.

I did this shortly after reading the post. Still nothing this morning so i filed the claim. I have until the 23rd to escalate the claim. I'm gonna give the guy til the 18th to respond or have the trans. show up, then i'll escalate and hopefully get my money back.

No way would I wait until the 18th for a response. I would expect a response by Monday and escalate it if the part isn't in your hands by Monday week...
C

I wouldn't wait till the 18th either! It doesn't take any time at all to drop a message to someone about such a high dollar transaction as this, or any transaction for that matter! Heck, I'm in the "office" doing that right now. Total time including reading the entire thread....2 minutes!! Geof

No way would I wait until the 18th for a response. I would expect a response by Monday and escalate it if the part isn't in your hands by Monday week...
C

I agree that the time has come to file a claim. It will do you no good to wait any longer since he hasn't contacted you by now.

I think with Paypal claims if no response in 7 days from the date you filed you can close the case and get a full refund. If the seller does not respond in that time he will never reply. He was notified of the claim when you filed and if you wait till the 18th he will drian and close his account so you wont get any money back.

I think with Paypal claims if no response in 7 days from the date you filed you can close the case and get a full refund. If the seller does not respond in that time he will never reply. He was notified of the claim when you filed and if you wait till the 18th he will drian and close his account so you wont get any money back.

oh ok, well then he has til friday morning(that would be 7 days from when i filed the claim)

Don't wait that long -- if he's on this board he'll clear out his paypal account in the meantime and you'll be even more SOL than you might be now.

Don't wait that long -- if he's on this board he'll clear out his paypal account in the meantime and you'll be even more SOL than you might be now.

Paypal makes you wait at least that long. The only way to close it before 7 days is to not get the refund ie part arrives before 7 days it can be closed.

He's not on this board. I've also decided to escalate it today. I explained in the escalation text that I've given a reasonable amount of time for him to respond prior to this point and he ceased all communication.

I haven't said a word on te mustang forum. But I do intend to blast him on there once I get a response from PayPal.

Has he been logged into the other board recently? Been posting since you emailed him on the 29th?

-
Back